Signed,

WAR

Anyone want to go for it?

I'm ready for a war of words.

Stevie Ray cleaned up his act.

He stopped doing drugs.

He stopped drinking!

He was sober!!

Yet he still perished by fate or by random bad luck in Eric Clapton's helicopter!

Learn from this reality.

Life isn't fair!

Be thankful that you can wake up this morning and read my useless blather.

Fools!

LOL!

Interestingly enough, I find it almost a disproportionate amount of older people that are making this declaration that rock is dead as opposed to young people. Come to think of it, I have actually NEVER met anybody in their teens and twenties that told me "Oh why do you still listen to that old people shit? Rock is dead." Hell, when I was in college, people LIKED the fact that I have sort of an old school taste in music. They thought I was cool because I love rock and metal.

However, I have seen more comments online by people who say they're in their 40s and 50s saying things like "Oh well, all these young people learning guitar are just wasting their time because rock is dead." And I have a massive problem with that. Am I just "wasting my time" because I have a good music taste....

Another problem I have is the fact that a lot of these older people commenting seem to have a defeatist attitude towards the subject. "The youth nowadays don't think good music is cool anymore, I guess there's no point in trying to keep it alive. Just let it die."

This bothers me on a multitude of levels because it was everything I was saying not too long ago. Before I started to wake up and start searching few new good rock bands to listen to. What I found was a buried treasure trove of amazing new rock and metal bands from this current century. Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Delain, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Amaranthe, The Birthday Massacre and many others. Hell, even youtubers like Jared Dines and Rob Scallion are doing a major part in keeping rock and metal alive and relevant!

I don't care how many old f***s want me to just roll over and accept that rock is dead. It is NOT dead and I refuse to go back to that old, narrow minded way of thinking.

There is no way in HELL that rock is dead! It's very alive and it shall remain that way at this very moment in time. HOWEVER! That being said there is some concern for the future. Especially for that "shredding" guitarist.

I went to the fair last night and saw NIGHT RANGER! Yep! Dinosaur Rock! Go ahead and laugh however Brad Gillis is one of the greatest "shredders" left on the planet. Night Ranger kicked ass last night. The opened the show with a new song and then did all the classics and a few covers! Unlike Geritol Maiden! Watching Bruce run around like a grandpa wearing frumpy clothing, a nacho libre mask and Depends!! Maiden is DEAD! ROCK IS NOT DEAD!

So the point is this. During the show Jack Blades kept telling the audience.... "Where are the next generation of guitar players?" "WE NEED YOUNG GUITAR PLAYERS!" PLEASE!! SOMEONE PICK UP A GUiTAR AND SAVE US!"

I think the guitarist prodigy is absolutely dying. Where are they? Who is the next Eddie Van Halen? The next Randy Rhoads? The next SRV? NOWHERE!

SRV was incredibly overrated as a guitarist so we can do without that, but I wouldn't mind another EVH or RR.

A ludicrous statement.

• Like 2

Interestingly enough, I find it almost a disproportionate amount of older people that are making this declaration that rock is dead as opposed to young people. Come to think of it, I have actually NEVER met anybody in their teens and twenties that told me "Oh why do you still listen to that old people shit? Rock is dead." Hell, when I was in college, people LIKED the fact that I have sort of an old school taste in music. They thought I was cool because I love rock and metal.

However, I have seen more comments online by people who say they're in their 40s and 50s saying things like "Oh well, all these young people learning guitar are just wasting their time because rock is dead." And I have a massive problem with that. Am I just "wasting my time" because I have a good music taste....

Another problem I have is the fact that a lot of these older people commenting seem to have a defeatist attitude towards the subject. "The youth nowadays don't think good music is cool anymore, I guess there's no point in trying to keep it alive. Just let it die."

This bothers me on a multitude of levels because it was everything I was saying not too long ago. Before I started to wake up and start searching few new good rock bands to listen to. What I found was a buried treasure trove of amazing new rock and metal bands from this current century. Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Delain, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Amaranthe, The Birthday Massacre and many others. Hell, even youtubers like Jared Dines and Rob Scallion are doing a major part in keeping rock and metal alive and relevant!

I don't care how many old f***s want me to just roll over and accept that rock is dead. It is NOT dead and I refuse to go back to that old, narrow minded way of thinking.

There is no way in HELL that rock is dead! It's very alive and it shall remain that way at this very moment in time. HOWEVER! That being said there is some concern for the future. Especially for that "shredding" guitarist.

I went to the fair last night and saw NIGHT RANGER! Yep! Dinosaur Rock! Go ahead and laugh however Brad Gillis is one of the greatest "shredders" left on the planet. Night Ranger kicked ass last night. The opened the show with a new song and then did all the classics and a few covers! Unlike Geritol Maiden! Watching Bruce run around like a grandpa wearing frumpy clothing, a nacho libre mask and Depends!! Maiden is DEAD! ROCK IS NOT DEAD!

So the point is this. During the show Jack Blades kept telling the audience.... "Where are the next generation of guitar players?" "WE NEED YOUNG GUITAR PLAYERS!" PLEASE!! SOMEONE PICK UP A GUiTAR AND SAVE US!"

I think the guitarist prodigy is absolutely dying. Where are they? Who is the next Eddie Van Halen? The next Randy Rhoads? The next SRV? NOWHERE!

SRV was incredibly overrated as a guitarist so we can do without that, but I wouldn't mind another EVH or RR.

A ludicrous statement.

AW you know that I am a night owl but I wanted to go to bed 40 min ago.

I am so shall I say disheartened.

Why do I care so much about music?

Am I truly insane or crazy like some on here say?

I cry to SRV's music.

Cheers bud

"The Sky Is Crying"

Fools and idiots rule the earth.

"And the meek shall inherit the Earth....."

Signed,

God and Rush

No hope for the meek and the weak who roam this planet with no class or taste.

I'm out.

A ludicrous statement.

AW you know that I am a night owl but I wanted to go to bed 40 min ago.

I am so shall I say disheartened.

Why do I care so much about music?

Am I truly insane or crazy like some on here say?

I cry to SRV's music.

Cheers bud

"The Sky Is Crying"

Fools and idiots rule the earth.

"And the meek shall inherit the Earth....."

Signed,

God and Rush

No hope for the meek and the weak who roam this planet with no class or taste.

I'm out.

Yeah there is a big difference between "not my cup of tea" and someone being overrated or sucking. A video was posted earlier of Syu which is a good example. He doesn't suck. He's clearly been holed up in a room for years practicing. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't question anyone who thinks he's great. Saying SRV is overrated is just ignorant and childish.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, He was a very, very good blues guitarist and it is horrible that he died so young, but to say that he's on the same level as Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads is a serious stretch. That's why I said that I thought he was overrated. While SRV might have been a very skilled blues player, EVH and RR brought things to the guitar in the late 70s and early 80s that others thought impossible. EVH with fast and melodic tapping and extensive guitar modification and Randy Rhoads with translating classical guitar to heavy metal.

SRV was incredibly overrated as a guitar rist so we can do without that

Sorry, you've just lost what little shred of credibility you had in my eyes......

I wish I went to bed before reading such rubbish and sadness.

I cried like a baby when SRV died.

I had a ticket to see him in Oakland with Jeff Beck.

I was too much of a fukking pussy to call in sick. Worked 3 to midnight.

I always figured I would see SRV on the next leg or tour.

He crashed in fuckkng Eric Clapton's helicopter. Fate Destiny God Universe, is not FAIR!

No one is safe no matter what you believe in.

I rarely cry for an musician's death.

Ok I'm a liar.

SRV

Gary Moore

David Bowie

Chris Squire

Keith Emerson

Greg Lake

John Wetton

I know we are all going to die.

But man, it sucks ass.

SRV was one of the greatest guitar players ever born.

I feel sorry for the idiots who can't relate to his brilliance.

Don't worry folks. There are a lot of fuckking morons in the world who never got SRV.

I know this for a fact.

Here in California.

I was not in the crowd but one of my best friends was!

It was a rainy cold day.

Stevie opened up for Sammy Hagar.

The rain poured.

Stevie played.

Idiot moron dumbass Sammy fans threw bottles and shit at Stevie when he was performing on stage.

Stevie and Double Trouble played through it.

Troopers.

I can't stand Sammy Fagar Fans to this day. They are a disgrace to a true Texas Legend.

No wonder I hate Van Hagar.

No respect for Stevie.

Makes me sick.

Why in God's Wonderment would Davie Bowie hire SRV for the "Let's Dance" record? For me it was Bowie's last masterpiece.

Do you see the signs?

SRV and Bowie. GONE

Wake the fukk up you ignorant music listeners!

But then again you have the right to your opinion.

So alas I will reel it in and say goodnight.

To each their own.

Stevie Ray Vaughan makes me heart sing. Makes me spirit sting. I really "Couldn't Stand The Weather" and I live for rock and roll.

You fools who are clueless can eat my out step. I'm an In Step kind of guy with a brain filled with a "Soul To Soul!"

You SRV haters keep walking that "Tightrope" because you will fall......

Karma will get you when you sleep at night. Sleep with one eye open. Metallica is junk since Cliff passed. So glad I have no filter.

Show some respect.

I saw that SRV and Jeff Beck show! (Well, a different show, but same tour). So, so glad I got to.

I also cried when Stevie Ray died. Gone too soon, and had so many more good years ahead of him. I truly think his best had yet to come!

I like Jeff Beck a lot, too- seeing that Guitar Shop tour, with Terry Bozzio on the drums- he was a beast!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, He was a very, very good blues guitarist and it is horrible that he died so young, but to say that he's on the same level as Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads is a serious stretch. That's why I said that I thought he was overrated. While SRV might have been a very skilled blues player, EVH and RR brought things to the guitar in the late 70s and early 80s that others thought impossible. EVH with fast and melodic tapping and extensive guitar modification and Randy Rhoads with translating classical guitar to heavy metal.

I would say that Stevie Ray's takes on the Hendrix tunes he covered, for example, go far beyond his straight blues playing...check out Voodoo Chile, Little Wing, Third Stone from the Sun...

• Like 1

Earl, not true

This song is the next logical step ... I'm not going to say "better" than Randy, but ... This is the edited version, the original is 14 minutes long .... But what happens at about the 4:18 point is about as good as any shredder has ever done within the context of a song .

Syu from the band Galneryus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsi9HEmZl9Y

Hmmmmm...

Melodic and heavy. It's like 80's Loudness fused with DRAGON"FARCE." YUCK!

A very talented shredder. Perhaps some hope for those who can actually think outside the North American Box.

I'm listening to the new JORN. Excellent melodic guitar metal!

Earl, I think what you just did is part of the issue : comparing a new band to older ones .. It just isn't fair

When The Rolling Stones released their debut album it had 9 cover songs on it ... and Led Zep's debut was filled with plagiarism ..

When Led Zep or The Stones released those first albums, I'm sure they had a lot of people excited - it would have been unfair to write off those now great bands just because of comparisons ..

It is 2017, and it is what it is ... When I hear Angel Of Salvation and then go listen to Over The Mountain or Highway Star, the guitar in the older songs sounds very unspectacular by comparison ..

But that's my point - it's not fair or about comparing

Funny Lucas!

Night Ranger covered some Highway Star the other night.

Everyone has their influences. But man.....

I can't deal with the mediocre crap of the modern age.

There is no band I am in love in that is current and on fire, like Satan's bassinet.

Love,

GHOST

I mean Lucas!

I'm crazy! Everyone is right.

I'm watching the 10cc dvd tonight. Clever Clogs

Sorry brother.

"I'm Not In Love"

With anyone.............

Earl

The Struts

I freakin love them and the singer ( another Luke :LOL: ) ... Even if this is not your thing, they are keeping the faith and playing rock and roll in 2017 ( opening for The Foo Fighters this year )

Electric and acoustic

You're gonna tell me that Jack Blades and Larry from Three's Company on drums are more rock and roll than this guy ??

NO !!

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Earl, not true

This song is the next logical step ... I'm not going to say "better" than Randy, but ... This is the edited version, the original is 14 minutes long .... But what happens at about the 4:18 point is about as good as any shredder has ever done within the context of a song .

It's too saccharine for my tastes. I find it forced and self-conscious. But, the guitar solo is very impressive.

• Like 1

I take it you don't play guitar...what you say is complete and utter nonsense...SRV was firmly rooted in the blues, this much is true, but he brought a wealth and breadth of techniques to the genre that no one had even considered trying....if he had wanted to, he could have mastered the styles of EVH and RR, but he chose to push the blues to the absolute limits of what it was capable of....a couple of listens and it's self-evident that all the classic "shredder" tricks are there, just ingeniously incorporated into a musical format they were never intended to be in.

Please think a little before spouting such rubbish, because it makes you look like a fool...if your intention is just to be provocative, then you really need to work on your trolling skills, because quite frankly sir, you are a rank amateur.

• Like 1

SRV was incredibly overrated as a guitar rist so we can do without that

Sorry, you've just lost what little shred of credibility you had in my eyes......

I wish I went to bed before reading such rubbish and sadness.

I cried like a baby when SRV died.

I had a ticket to see him in Oakland with Jeff Beck.

I was too much of a fukking pussy to call in sick. Worked 3 to midnight.

I always figured I would see SRV on the next leg or tour.

He crashed in fuckkng Eric Clapton's helicopter. Fate Destiny God Universe, is not FAIR!

No one is safe no matter what you believe in.

I rarely cry for an musician's death.

Ok I'm a liar.

SRV

Gary Moore

David Bowie

Chris Squire

Keith Emerson

Greg Lake

John Wetton

I know we are all going to die.

But man, it sucks ass.

SRV was one of the greatest guitar players ever born.

I feel sorry for the idiots who can't relate to his brilliance.

Don't worry folks. There are a lot of fuckking morons in the world who never got SRV.

I know this for a fact.

Here in California.

I was not in the crowd but one of my best friends was!

It was a rainy cold day.

Stevie opened up for Sammy Hagar.

The rain poured.

Stevie played.

Idiot moron dumbass Sammy fans threw bottles and shit at Stevie when he was performing on stage.

Stevie and Double Trouble played through it.

Troopers.

I can't stand Sammy Fagar Fans to this day. They are a disgrace to a true Texas Legend.

No wonder I hate Van Hagar.

No respect for Stevie.

Makes me sick.

Why in God's Wonderment would Davie Bowie hire SRV for the "Let's Dance" record? For me it was Bowie's last masterpiece.

Do you see the signs?

SRV and Bowie. GONE

Wake the fukk up you ignorant music listeners!

But then again you have the right to your opinion.

So alas I will reel it in and say goodnight.

To each their own.

Stevie Ray Vaughan makes me heart sing. Makes me spirit sting. I really "Couldn't Stand The Weather" and I live for rock and roll.

You fools who are clueless can eat my out step. I'm an In Step kind of guy with a brain filled with a "Soul To Soul!"

You SRV haters keep walking that "Tightrope" because you will fall......

Karma will get you when you sleep at night. Sleep with one eye open. Metallica is junk since Cliff passed. So glad I have no filter.

Show some respect.

I saw that SRV and Jeff Beck show! (Well, a different show, but same tour). So, so glad I got to.

I also cried when Stevie Ray died. Gone too soon, and had so many more good years ahead of him. I truly think his best had yet to come!

I like Jeff Beck a lot, too- seeing that Guitar Shop tour, with Terry Bozzio on the drums- he was a beast!

You are indeed a lucky fella! I love Jeff too! The Guitar Shop is a great record!!

Earl, not true

Hmmmmm...

Melodic and heavy. It's like 80's Loudness fused with DRAGON"FARCE." YUCK!

A very talented shredder. Perhaps some hope for those who can actually think outside the North American Box.

I'm listening to the new JORN. Excellent melodic guitar metal!

Earl, I think what you just did is part of the issue : comparing a new band to older ones .. It just isn't fair

When The Rolling Stones released their debut album it had 9 cover songs on it ... and Led Zep's debut was filled with plagiarism ..

When Led Zep or The Stones released those first albums, I'm sure they had a lot of people excited - it would have been unfair to write off those now great bands just because of comparisons ..

It is 2017, and it is what it is ... When I hear Angel Of Salvation and then go listen to Over The Mountain or Highway Star, the guitar in the older songs sounds very unspectacular by comparison ..

But that's my point - it's not fair or about comparing

Funny Lucas!

Night Ranger covered some Highway Star the other night.

Everyone has their influences. But man.....

I can't deal with the mediocre crap of the modern age.

There is no band I am in love in that is current and on fire, like Satan's bassinet.

Love,

GHOST

I mean Lucas!

I'm crazy! Everyone is right.

I'm watching the 10cc dvd tonight. Clever Clogs

Sorry brother.

"I'm Not In Love"

With anyone.............

Earl

The Struts

I freakin love them and the singer ( another Luke :LOL: ) ... Even if this is not your thing, they are keeping the faith and playing rock and roll in 2017 ( opening for The Foo Fighters this year )

Electric and acoustic

You're gonna tell me that Jack Blades and Larry from Three's Company on drums are more rock and roll than this guy ??

NO !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6C9B-bN3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A0YWluhJh0

Hahaha! Funny guy! No! I like the Struts! Good call!!

• Like 1

There are certain musicians that are generally considered the best in their genre and it always invites some ridicule that someone could be so dense and uninformed to not know it. Especially when you're talking to other musicians. Doesn't mean you have to like them but it means you have respect enough not to criticize them openly.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Rock might not be "dead", but it sure as shit ain't as good as I was 30 - 40 years ago. :codger:

Contemporary rock bands can't hold a candle to the greats:

Deep Purple & Rainbow

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Rush

Bon Scott era AC/DC

Aerosmith

Van Halen

And what sort of uneducated person says SRV is overrated? Go watch to SRV and Double Trouble live at Montreux 1985.

SRV f*cking slays.

If anything he's under-rated by the casual listener. People always talk about his phenomenal lead guitar, but miss his rhythm guitar playing, which was where he kicked the most guitar-ass.

Rock might not be "dead", but it sure as shit ain't as good as I was 30 - 40 years ago. :codger:

Contemporary rock bands can't hold a candle to the greats:

Deep Purple & Rainbow

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Rush

Bon Scott era AC/DC

Aerosmith

Van Halen

And what sort of uneducated person says SRV is overrated? Go watch to SRV and Double Trouble live at Montreux 1985.

SRV f*cking slays.

If anything he's under-rated by the casual listener. People always talk about his phenomenal lead guitar, but miss his rhythm guitar playing, which was where he kicked the most guitar-ass.

Thirteen, it's just not fair to compare some of the great early bands to the bands of today ..

IMHO, all of the bands you listed had their heyday in the 1970s

I'll take a lot of today's bands over 80s and 90s Rush, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Van Halen etc ..

So taking into consideration what you said - and I don't disagree with the greatness of those bands in that era - but with that logic, rock died 35+ years ago

Edited by Lucas

Thirteen, it's just not fair to compare some of the great early bands to the bands of today ..

Well I suppose I was being a bit of a cantankerous bastard lol. Yes the heyday of those bands was the 70's and what a heyday it was.

Some people here dislike him, but in his book Relentless Yngwie Malmsteen makes the point that bands today are no longer 'nurtured' by record companies like they used to be. Record companies used support bands to become successful, and then the record company would reap the financial rewards of their investment.

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 1

Well I suppose I was being a bit of a cantankerous bastard lol. Yes the heyday of those bands was the 70's and what a heyday it was.

Some people here dislike him, but in his book Relentless Yngwie Malmsteen makes the point that bands today are no longer 'nurtured' by record companies like they used to be. Record companies used support bands to become successful, and then the record company would reap the financial rewards of their investment.

I've seen Alex Lifeson and other artists all say the same thing about "nurturing" a band

• Like 1

I've seen Alex Lifeson and other artists all say the same thing about "nurturing" a band

I think that is absolutely true ... Take, for example, the backing and support The Rolling Stones received - they were a cover band with a lot of potential when Decca signed them

• Like 1