Overused phrases of the moment...

treeduck

I hate the chronic overuse of "f*cking" as an adverb.

You can just say "I love this sunny weather"... You don't have to "I f*cking love this sunny weather."

Overusing the F bomb in general doesn't make you edgy, it makes you banal. And don't get me wrong, in fits of anger or frustration, I've been known to let it rip; but I don't need to start throwing it around when I'm enjoying my French Toast.

Overuse of that word today is getting to be a bit much.

And it matters not how educated (or not) the person is.

Does sounding crude make someone cool? What am I missing? Have we no dignity anymore?

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Nobody intentionally swears to be cool unless it's some kid discovering the words for the first time. When I say the f word it's never a conscious decision, it's just what comes out when I'm talking. Most people are the same way. They say it without even thinking about it or noticing that they're doing it.

People who drop the f word all the time just got into the bad habit of saying it constantly and don't even realize how often they're saying it.

Then maybe it's time to start being conscious that you are using a word that does nothing to enhance either you or your conversation.

We ought to make conscious effort to get back some dignity as human beings.

:goodone:
  • Like 3

Lately more people are using this: "Does that make sense?"

Does it though?

Psychological Projection

What happens when you have a whole bunch of uncomfortable, embarrassing and annoying emotions that you don’t want to unconsciously deal with? According to famous psychologist Sigmund Freud these emotions are projected on to other people, so that other people become carriers of our own perceived flaws. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for us, this form of emotional displacement makes it much easier to live with ourselves … because everyone else is responsible for our misery – not us !!

• Like 3

You can just say "I love this sunny weather"... You don't have to "I f*cking love this sunny weather."

Overusing the F bomb in general doesn't make you edgy, it makes you banal. And don't get me wrong, in fits of anger or frustration, I've been known to let it rip; but I don't need to start throwing it around when I'm enjoying my French Toast.

Does sounding crude make someone cool? What am I missing? Have we no dignity anymore?

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Nobody intentionally swears to be cool unless it's some kid discovering the words for the first time. When I say the f word it's never a conscious decision, it's just what comes out when I'm talking. Most people are the same way. They say it without even thinking about it or noticing that they're doing it.

People who drop the f word all the time just got into the bad habit of saying it constantly and don't even realize how often they're saying it.

Then maybe it's time to start being conscious that you are using a word that does nothing to enhance either you or your conversation.

We ought to make a conscious effort to get back some dignity as human beings.

People who use it all the time aren't using it to enhance themselves or the conversation. They're just using a word, that's all. I never look down on people or think less of them because they use the word frequently. Obviously, there are times where using the word isn't appropriate. Certain workplaces won't allow it. A job interview, meeting somebody for the first time, church or wake aren't the proper setting to let the expletives fly. But if a person is in or around their home or out in public somewhere and there's nothing to prevent them from saying it, then expect to hear it.

Over the last several years i've tried to get better a not using the f word as much. Trying to take after my grandfather who lived until 90 and I only ever heard him use it four or five times. You knew something major was happening if he used the word. I still let it slip at times when it's probably not needed. But I use it much less now than I did in my teens and twenties, so I guess that's something.

Does it though?

Using the phrase? No. It seems to have replaced "You know?".

You know, I think you are right.

Does it though?

Using the phrase? No. It seems to have replaced "You know?".

You know, I think you are right.

The head maintenance guy where I work uses You Know all the time. Pretty much at the end of almost every sentence. Good guy, very handy. Can fix most stuff in the building on his own without any help unless something huge occurs and he needs to call some contractors in. But he just got in the habit of saying it and probably doesn't realize he's doing it so often.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Psychological Projection

What happens when you have a whole bunch of uncomfortable, embarrassing and annoying emotions that you don’t want to unconsciously deal with? According to famous psychologist Sigmund Freud these emotions are projected on to other people, so that other people become carriers of our own perceived flaws. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for us, this form of emotional displacement makes it much easier to live with ourselves … because everyone else is responsible for our misery – not us !!

So, when you say "us", who do you mean?

http://a.scpr.org/i/38e6dd3cde8c82822924fd31c7c5c2b6/88016-full.jpg

• Like 2

"On point." "Totes."

A single word........awesome

Possibly the most misused word in the English language.

Actually I would say the word epic is the most misused word today....everything from hamburgers to beer is epic. :smash: It grates on my nerves so much, :banghead: when I think epic it is Homer's Odyssey not "Epic Casual Dining" :facepalm: (a real restaurant in my neck of the woods)

• Like 3

Not a phrase, but people beginning their reply to a question with "So..."

Drives me batshit as it's becoming commonplace.

Putting 'so' at the very end of a sentence is what drives me batty. Usually it's used at the end of some kind explanation, or rationale, or excuse.

Example: "Well, I just walked in the door, so..."

So...what?? 'So' is a conjunction- it cannot end a sentence!

Putting 'so' at the very end of a sentence is what drives me batty. Usually it's used at the end of some kind explanation, or rationale, or excuse.

When my step daughters say "So.." I exclaim, "Needle and thread!"... (So/Sew)... they just roll their eyes. But they don't do it much anymore.

• Like 1

We ought to make a conscious effort to get back some dignity as human beings.

:goodone:

When I was a teen I used to say "chick" whenever referring to a girl. It was just the way I talked with my male friends. It never occurred to me that girls found it unattractive and some thought it was demeaning, even though I didn't mean it to be. So, in an effort to be less crude, unoffensive and more likable to the opposite sex, I quit using the word.

I typically don't swear for the same reason.

Edited by workingcinderellaman
  • Like 1

And the kids today will say 'yeah' at the end of an unfinished sentence, sometimes after the 'so' and sometimes not.

And the kids today will say 'yeah' at the end of an unfinished sentence, sometimes after the 'so' and sometimes not.

Yeah, so, what's your point? :popcorn:

:LOL: ;) :cool:

You did it wrong. It's when the kids today are in the middle of a thought... and yeah.

You did it wrong. It's when the kids today are in the middle of a thought... and yeah.

My apologies.

My apologies.

Sooooo...

"You know..."

Often said by ballplayers during interviews.

usually followed by something insightful like "we're just gonna go out there and play as hard as we can and, you know, hopefully get some runs and, you know, just do our best and see what happens and, you know, hopefully go home with a win."

• Like 2