I am sick and tired of people hating on James LaBrie's voice.

fraroc

It wouldn't be a big deal if the only people giving James shit weren't Dream Theater fans.

It's the fact that I've come across so many people who DO like Dream Theater, yet always said that they wished that they'd fire James and get a new singer.

And yes, I've seen people say that.

So? Are you trying to convert people?

You are basically a one man equivalent if the entire Westboro Baptist Church, only you stand alone whining the big kids don't want to play your games by your rules and no one even stops to scorn they care so little.

Forgive me if I get a little sick and tired of the whole mentality of "Well, I didn't see it, so therefore it didn't happen."

That's funny, you sure don't seem to have seen the compliments LaBrie's gotten in this thread.

I did see them, and I'm glad that some people see that he doesn't deserve to be known as the most reviled singer in metal.

And another thing that needs to be said, I'm not talking about criticism of James' voice and people who don't find his voice to be pleasing to the ear. People are entitled to their own opinions.

I just don't like how he's become the "shit standard" among heavy metal vocalists. To the point where if any singer says that James LaBrie is one of their greatest influences as a singer, they get laughed off the proverbial stage.

It wouldn't be a big deal if the only people giving James shit weren't Dream Theater fans.

It's the fact that I've come across so many people who DO like Dream Theater, yet always said that they wished that they'd fire James and get a new singer.

You are basically a one man equivalent if the entire Westboro Baptist Church, only you stand alone whining the big kids don't want to play your games by your rules and no one even stops to scorn they care so little.

Forgive me if I get a little sick and tired of the whole mentality of "Well, I didn't see it, so therefore it didn't happen."

That's funny, you sure don't seem to have seen the compliments LaBrie's gotten in this thread.

I did see them, and I'm glad that some people see that he doesn't deserve to be known as the most reviled singer in metal.

Ah ok, so you're just harping on the negative stuff then. No need to comment on/ add to all the positives some TRFers have talked about when there's other bitchings to be had. I see.

Grunge has more genuine heart and humanity than hair metal.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be DT without James though. I don't want another singer for this band.

I said the same thing when they fired Charlie.

I love When Dream and Day Unite, I consider it extraordinarily underrated.

That having been said, James is an upgrade from Charlie.

I only bought this a few months ago and aside from a couple really great songs (A Fortune in Lies!) it hasn't grabbed me that much yet.

It might be the production I don't like much either. But his snare sounds better than I&W's snare, I'll give it that.

You know what's funny? I've been a Dream Theater fan longer than fraroc has been alive. Yet, he's the one who is sick and tired of people talking shit about LaBrie's voice. I got used to that years ago, so it doesn't bother me when people do it now. Maybe one day he'll get there.

Not sure who else the band should have got to sing for them though? I always felt he fit them just fine.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

You know what's funny? I've been a Dream Theater fan longer than fraroc has been alive. Yet, he's the one who is sick and tired of people talking shit about LaBrie's voice. I got used to that years ago, so it doesn't bother me when people do it now. Maybe one day he'll get there.

Not sure who else the band should have got to sing for them though? I always felt he fit them just fine.

Well back in those days, you didn't have the internet, so you didn't have to hear those kinds of comments on a regular basis.

I did see a comment where this person wanted James LaBrie out of Dream Theater and said that he would like Bruce Dickinson or Tim Ripper Owens to replace him. They would sound good singing Dream Theater songs, but the problem is that there is literally nothing wrong with James LaBrie as a singer.

Edited by fraroc

Well back in those days, you didn't have the internet, so you didn't have to hear those kinds of comments on a regular basis.

I did see a comment where this person wanted James LaBrie out of Dream Theater and said that he would like Bruce Dickinson or Tim Ripper Owens to replace him. They would sound good singing Dream Theater songs, but the problem is that there is literally nothing wrong with James LaBrie as a singer.

Same argument could be made for Kurt Cobain whose voice I infinitely prefer.

I say nothing, cause I've never been able to get into Dream Theater. I have tried, and people have been recommending them to me for 25+ years. :)

What do you think about broccoli?

Broccoli RULES, man !

Except when it's overcooked...

• Like 2

Here, I thought that he was one of the greatest singers in metal, only to find out that I'm pretty much the only one who shares that opinion. Even other Dream Theater fans give him shit for his voice. He isn't a bad singer for christ's sake. Granted he might not have the "ballsy-ness" of most metal vocalists, but you can't listen to Dream Theater's music and deny that the guy has a hell of a vocal range.

Who?

• Like 1

I say nothing, cause I've never been able to get into Dream Theater. I have tried, and people have been recommending them to me for 25+ years. :)

Broccoli RULES, man !

Bro, coli is a nasty bacteria!

• Like 2

Broccoli RULES, man !

Broccoli rules WHEN it is overcooked.

Undercooked it's like eating little trees.

• Like 2

I used to get 2-3 postcards a week with a message from my friends that said labrie sucks....

:)

• Like 3

Personally I have always felt that they would've been much more popular if someone else sang for them. There is just something about his voice that sets my teeth on edge.
  • Like 1

"Personally I have always felt that they would've been much more popular if someone else sang for them".

Ray Daniels (talking about Rush vocalist Geddy Lee).

:P

Do people here forget that general rock public is pretty polarized on Geddy Lee's voice? I didn't see any list where Geddy Lee is placed in top 20 rock vocalists.

Many people who dislike Rush cite that they couldn't get into Geddy's voice as the main reason for that, while big Rush fans don't mind or like or got used to his voice, including me, of course, who thinks he is a very good vocalist and I am into his vocals.

So what? Big DT fans like/don't mind his voice, while people who are not DT fans dislike his voice and they cite that as a reason why they dislike a band. Plain and simple.

Do people here forget that general rock public is pretty polarized on Geddy Lee's voice? I didn't see any list where Geddy Lee is placed in top 20 rock vocalists.

Many people who dislike Rush cite that they couldn't get into Geddy's voice as the main reason for that, while big Rush fans don't mind or like or got used to his voice, including me, of course, who thinks he is a very good vocalist and I am into his vocals.

So what? Big DT fans like/don't mind his voice, while people who are not DT fans dislike his voice and they cite that as a reason why they dislike a band. Plain and simple.

What about someone who likes their music but doesn't like the vocals? Or people who don't like the band because they just can't write good songs?

;)

• Like 2

I wish he'd stop the f**k running off stage every 3 minutes while the lads have an old fretwank. Grab a tambourine, a cowbell, an acoustic guitar, a lute, a flute, a pair of finger cymbals, a kazoo, a pair of nuts, a turtle, a lava lamp, a feather duster, ANYTHING! It makes him look useless and/or incontinent.
  • Like 1

I've said it many times but he struggles live some times because he plays too many dates without proper rest. He went right from the Astonishing tour right into I&W 25. Its too much for any singer to play that many dates and not struggle.
  • Like 3

I wish he'd stop the f**k running off stage every 3 minutes while the lads have an old fretwank. Grab a tambourine, a cowbell, an acoustic guitar, a lute, a flute, a pair of finger cymbals, a kazoo, a pair of nuts, a turtle, a lava lamp, a feather duster, ANYTHING! It makes him look useless and/or incontinent.

Hahaha, yeah you get used to that but it's weird I agree.

• Like 1

I've said it many times but he struggles live some times because he plays too many dates without proper rest. He went right from the Astonishing tour right into I&W 25. Its too much for any singer to play that many dates and not struggle.

When I heard they were going to play all of I&W I thought it would be super difficult on him (especially Another Day, maybe Take the Time or Learning to Live too)

Hahaha, yeah you get used to that but it's weird I agree.

I think I've developed a mental tick at this stage.

Therehegoesagainitis.

This was posted two days ago from MusicRadar.com

Dream Theater's James LaBrie: my top 5 vocal heroes

LaBrie cites Freddie Mercury, Steve Perry, Ronnie James Dio, Rod Stewart, and Nat King Cole as his top 5 vocal heroes.

That's another thing, you hear a lot of Freddie Mercury in James's voice, yet Freddie is showered with praise, as he should be, but James is still reviled among the metal community.

The whole reason why I made this thread is because this hate for him as a vocalist literally makes zero sense.