Has Social Media Desensitized People and Made Them More Narcissistic?

Tick

In truth, this is a fascinating topic, with so many levels ..

But I do agree with JB

Old School Selfie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Henry_Knox_by_Gilbert_Stuart_1806.jpeg

Looks like a desensitized, narcissistic schlong.

Though I guess you could say that he was ahead of his time in a modern day, self-absorbed way that is

• Like 2

I'm 18.

I don't use any social media outside of this site and a couple other small forums. I never have, and I likely never will. I enjoy imagining myself becoming somewhat famous as an architect or musician or author and still refusing to get a Facebook on principle, seeing how people deal with it.

I don't take selfies on principle. I have conceded to doing so a couple of times on trips and things, but otherwise I avoid them because they annoy me and my mom believes they are narcissistic, which I get.

I'm definitely introverted, though I have some very extroverted characteristics. I do find it easier to communitcate with certain people via e-mail or messaging, but not to the point where I break down in person or just can't connect. Also, I never find texting my close friends to be equivalent to actually hanging out with them. I texted one of my high school friends last night in a pretty deep conversation; I still miss hanging out with him. I called another one of my high school friends the other night and had a great conversation with him; I miss him even more now.

I hate watching the news because it's always so full of tragedy and I still hate to hear about all the horrible things that go on in the world each day. Perhaps I'm less informed, and perhaps I might come off as insensitive, but I also like to think I'm a more optimistic and happily dispositioned person. That does sound ironic since assuming the news is nothing but bad news is a pretty pessimistic point of view, but I do enjoy some healthy cynicism in my life for fun (and reality checks).

Am I desensitized to tragedy? For example, I can't remember a time when 9/11 wasn't reality, though I was born a few years before it. To me, that kind of tragedy, though usually on a smaller scale, is a bit of a given. Much as I wish it wasn't, it is. I've been exposed to it as reality enough that I just prefer not to think about that. So perhaps that's desensitization, and perhaps it's still just more than I care to process each day.

Do I feel left out of the loop because I'm not on social media? Sometimes, yes, and sometimes, not so much. For example, if I want to find a sub for a shift at work, I have to go through a more complex process of asking about via e-mail and phone calls than simply posting in the Facebook group. Solution? Don't put myself in situations where I need to miss work, probably a good idea anyway. Also, as opposed to the groupme texting chats (which I'm not opposed to since it's just chat and not full social media) used by many groups on campus for mass communication, my fellow freshmen architecture majors have a Facebook group which I'm not a part of. Do I feel out of the loop there? Yeah, sometimes people's relationships will change or there will be some joke I'm just not getting, but since I see those people most every day anyway, I'm never too far from "getting it" (plus I've never been one to think it's my place to know about other people's relationships). So, by excluding myself from social media, there are some things where I'm a little left out. However, in my world, e-mail is the only truly important electronic communication tool. If there's something I really need to know, 98% of the time it will be in an e-mail, and the other times I can find out in person from a friend. I have friends who don't interact with messages and online communication tools even as much as me, and as far as I know they get along just fine (aside from some of their friends being annoyed at not being able to contact them easily).

But I'm a special case. Most people my age are using Facebook, Twitter, snap-chat, Instagram, and all else religiously, while taking plenty of selfies and doing all the things which I avoid because I don't want to deal with them and view them with suspicion. You know what the greatest thing about that is? Most people my age that I've encountered...they're pretty fine folks to tell you the truth. They care, they're often open minded, the socialize easily, they tend to reach out when they have problems, they have opinions on the world and is news, they're learning and growing and becoming what they want to be. Are things perfect for them and myself? Heck no! We're super stressed, often overstimulated, addicted to the Internet, and so much else...but we're still pretty fine people if you ask me, and we get along alright, and we're just learning to cope with information and socialization overload like everyone else.

Vinyl sales are still rising; the majority is never the whole story.

• Like 5

Spot on tick! A couple things I've noticed personally..

First, when I was young, a person would probably get teased for taking a picture of themself, it would seem so conceited. now it's a normal thing that everyone does!

Second, a coworker a couple weeks ago says,"hey check out this video.." shows me his phone and I see a clip of an Isis member blowing this poor guy's brains out at point blank range. It might be the first time in my life I'd seen anything like that and it was shown to me like it was nothing..

We are getting access to information at an exponential rate and I shudder to think what society will be like in a couple more decades..

• Like 1

I guess one good thing is any Joe blow can become famous thanks to YouTube !

..second thought, maybe that's not a good thing :/

Edited by MMCXII

I'm 18.

I don't use any social media outside of this site and a couple other small forums. I never have, and I likely never will. I enjoy imagining myself becoming somewhat famous as an architect or musician or author and still refusing to get a Facebook on principle, seeing how people deal with it.

I don't take selfies on principle. I have conceded to doing so a couple of times on trips and things, but otherwise I avoid them because they annoy me and my mom believes they are narcissistic, which I get.

I'm definitely introverted, though I have some very extroverted characteristics. I do find it easier to communitcate with certain people via e-mail or messaging, but not to the point where I break down in person or just can't connect. Also, I never find texting my close friends to be equivalent to actually hanging out with them. I texted one of my high school friends last night in a pretty deep conversation; I still miss hanging out with him. I called another one of my high school friends the other night and had a great conversation with him; I miss him even more now.

I hate watching the news because it's always so full of tragedy and I still hate to hear about all the horrible things that go on in the world each day. Perhaps I'm less informed, and perhaps I might come off as insensitive, but I also like to think I'm a more optimistic and happily dispositioned person. That does sound ironic since assuming the news is nothing but bad news is a pretty pessimistic point of view, but I do enjoy some healthy cynicism in my life for fun (and reality checks).

Am I desensitized to tragedy? For example, I can't remember a time when 9/11 wasn't reality, though I was born a few years before it. To me, that kind of tragedy, though usually on a smaller scale, is a bit of a given. Much as I wish it wasn't, it is. I've been exposed to it as reality enough that I just prefer not to think about that. So perhaps that's desensitization, and perhaps it's still just more than I care to process each day.

Do I feel left out of the loop because I'm not on social media? Sometimes, yes, and sometimes, not so much. For example, if I want to find a sub for a shift at work, I have to go through a more complex process of asking about via e-mail and phone calls than simply posting in the Facebook group. Solution? Don't put myself in situations where I need to miss work, probably a good idea anyway. Also, as opposed to the groupme texting chats (which I'm not opposed to since it's just chat and not full social media) used by many groups on campus for mass communication, my fellow freshmen architecture majors have a Facebook group which I'm not a part of. Do I feel out of the loop there? Yeah, sometimes people's relationships will change or there will be some joke I'm just not getting, but since I see those people most every day anyway, I'm never too far from "getting it" (plus I've never been one to think it's my place to know about other people's relationships). So, by excluding myself from social media, there are some things where I'm a little left out. However, in my world, e-mail is the only truly important electronic communication tool. If there's something I really need to know, 98% of the time it will be in an e-mail, and the other times I can find out in person from a friend. I have friends who don't interact with messages and online communication tools even as much as me, and as far as I know they get along just fine (aside from some of their friends being annoyed at not being able to contact them easily).

But I'm a special case. Most people my age are using Facebook, Twitter, snap-chat, Instagram, and all else religiously, while taking plenty of selfies and doing all the things which I avoid because I don't want to deal with them and view them with suspicion. You know what the greatest thing about that is? Most people my age that I've encountered...they're pretty fine folks to tell you the truth. They care, they're often open minded, the socialize easily, they tend to reach out when they have problems, they have opinions on the world and is news, they're learning and growing and becoming what they want to be. Are things perfect for them and myself? Heck no! We're super stressed, often overstimulated, addicted to the Internet, and so much else...but we're still pretty fine people if you ask me, and we get along alright, and we're just learning to cope with information and socialization overload like everyone else.

great post

• Like 1

I'm 18.

Well thought out post. Thanks!

• Like 1

In truth, this is a fascinating topic, with so many levels ..

But I do agree with JB

Old School Selfie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Henry_Knox_by_Gilbert_Stuart_1806.jpeg

Looks like a desensitized, narcissistic schlong.

Though I guess you could say that he was ahead of his time in a modern day, self-absorbed way that is

That's the kind of person who was, now anyone and almost everyone is him!

• Like 1

I think it's sad that having love for oneself and one's appearance is being torn apart as narcissism by a group of people who don't care much about personal appearance.

Nothing wrong with not being "vain" or being "vain", but people who take pride in their appearance get knocked down it seems a lot more nowadays than people who dress slovenly.

Nothing wrong with "selfies". For many they are little memories for the future, just as photographs have always been and it's now much easier to record forever happier moments than it has been in the past.

I think people should be allowed to act and interact how they wish. Society has never stopped evolving and changing and developing and every era is modern until it becomes the past and with that comes those who embrace change and those who bemoan it.

And admittedly there has always been good progress and bad, but there have always been people admired for their looks (and so they should be, we admire beautiful art so why not the beautiful human form?) and there will always be those admired for their inner abilities.

And there will always be those insecure enough to tear down those they feel intimidated by and there will always be beautiful people deemed too happy "because they haven't had to work hard, being beautiful".

If people love themselves inside and out, let them be. We each have a place in this world and we should not out down those whose qualities we don't share.

Me and all my friends take pictures of each other and ourselves. We are happy, confident and aware our looks will change and fade in time. We live in the now and we treasure what we have.

I've also been taken advantage of for my looks and been torn down by others who assume I get by on nothing else but them. I get called vain, narcissistic and stuck up, but then again those people are one's I would seek and have sought to help in their trials and they were astonished I did so knowing that, if the roles were reversed, they wouldn't help me.

And it's odd we are here talking about the side effects of social media on a social media platform.

• Like 5

Wow 10 paragraphs on why selfies are good.. you may have convinced yourself but you didn't convince me ;) ;)

I think it's sad that having love for oneself and one's appearance is being torn apart as narcissism by a group of people who don't care much about personal appearance.

Nothing wrong with not being "vain" or being "vain", but people who take pride in their appearance get knocked down it seems a lot more nowadays than people who dress slovenly.

Nothing wrong with "selfies". For many they are little memories for the future, just as photographs have always been and it's now much easier to record forever happier moments than it has been in the past.

I think people should be allowed to act and interact how they wish. Society has never stopped evolving and changing and developing and every era is modern until it becomes the past and with that comes those who embrace change and those who bemoan it.

And admittedly there has always been good progress and bad, but there have always been people admired for their looks (and so they should be, we admire beautiful art so why not the beautiful human form?) and there will always be those admired for their inner abilities.

And there will always be those insecure enough to tear down those they feel intimidated by and there will always be beautiful people deemed too happy "because they haven't had to work hard, being beautiful".

If people love themselves inside and out, let them be. We each have a place in this world and we should not out down those whose qualities we don't share.

Me and all my friends take pictures of each other and ourselves. We are happy, confident and aware our looks will change and fade in time. We live in the now and we treasure what we have.

I've also been taken advantage of for my looks and been torn down by others who assume I get by on nothing else but them. I get called vain, narcissistic and stuck up, but then again those people are one's I would seek and have sought to help in their trials and they were astonished I did so knowing that, if the roles were reversed, they wouldn't help me.

And it's odd we are here talking about the side effects of social media on a social media platform.

What's odd about talking about social media side effects on this board? I never said I was against social media. I'm just pointing out what its doing to society. I can't expect someone who doesn't know the world I grew up in to see through my eyes. I also am not attacking you on your use of it.

I'm stating that its a media that is numbing the human senses where it comes to world outside the cyber bubble.

Live as you choose, disagree as much as you want.

• Like 1

Wow 10 paragraphs on why selfies are good.. you may have convinced yourself but you didn't convince me ;) ;)

Psha. Internet definitions of paragraphs.

Not our fault you have a face barely fit for radio ;) :)

• Like 1

Social media also contributes to things like FOMO, and generally does point out how you're doing socially compared to your peers--something that's sometimes not of any benefit. And yes, narcissism is more and more a prevalent state in people this decade.

Pros and cons. I've started to think the cons outweigh.

Same amount of arseholes, just easier to spot. Social media is like catnip to them.

When there's no risk of consequences (like getting punched in the face), potential A-holes let loose and do what they've always wanted to do.

Three types of people: 1) Good, 2) Potential A-holes, and 3) A-holes.

:o :o :o

Not our fault you have a face barely fit for radio ;) :)

Whelp.. I reckon it Looks like someone's lookin fer a face-off.. Lol

dude my last girlfriend couldn't get enough of my face..!! :P