Your most fave keyboard/synth riff by Geddy Lee?

Texas King

I could be wrong but I don't consider any of Rush's music to have "keyboard riffs" or any really worth discussion anyway. Carry on...
  • Like 2

The solos on subdivisions and countdown spring to mind, being a keyboard player the keys are never a challenge to play in rush songs, but keyboard interpretations of rush songs can sound interesting!
  • Like 3

Funny, for all the "synth-era" talk, there really aren't too many songs based on a keyboard riff. Lots of sampling and embellishment, but not that much that's driven by the playing of keys.
  • Like 1

Got to be either Distant Early Warning or Red Sector A, Ged really perfected writing a song around a synth bit on the whole album. Those two are just chilling, exciting, excellent.

Buuuuut, if you want to broaden your definition of "riff" to repeated melody line, Xanadu and Tom Sawyer are right up there.

• Like 1

Got to be either Distant Early Warning or Red Sector A, Ged really perfected writing a song around a synth bit on the whole album. Those two are just chilling, exciting, excellent.

Buuuuut, if you want to broaden your definition of "riff" to repeated melody line, Xanadu and Tom Sawyer are right up there.

Right on dude!!!!

I think Geddy was very inventive before he became a good keyboard player XXX

• Like 1

In "Afterimage", the synth bass riff in the middle section (and carrying on into the guitar solo) is great. Losing it has a great synth sequence in 5/8 that opens the song that I particularly love. I also love countdown as well. Also the grand designs sequence is lovely. Honestly I could go on lol.

Subdivisions

Time And Motion

Middletown Dreams ("The middle-aged Madonna..." part)

Emotion Detector

Countdown

Isn't Andy Richards responsible for the keys on Middletown Dreams and Emotion Detector?

Just a little sidenote, Neil's percussion at start of Middletown #ohyeah

I mean Alex helps a lot with some usual beautiful work but Neil doin some sexy sh*t there