What were the first few things in your Rush collection?

Mystic Slipperman

I got Permanent Waves and Hemispheres from WHSMith in January 1980. That's not cool is it? Then I got All the World's A Stage and Rush Through Time. Then I got 2112 and Archives...and so on...A Farewell to Kings was the last one. I bought it off a school friend, it was the US import. I didn't get the individual albums on Archives until a couple of years later.

Noob.

I got A Farewell To Kings on day of release. Already had all the other albums by then. All vinyl of course.

That just reveals that you're an old man, a very old man! :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger:

There was record store, more of a warehouse really, off Oxford Rd, called Yankees, or Yankee Records, I think. Do you remember the place. Lots of imports, usually had the top right corner snipped off for some reason.

Yanks not Yankees, yes I remember it. Later on, I think in the 90's it changed to Power Cuts.

Yanks. Thanks.

Used to go there often for import LPs and singles. Piccadilly records too.

Miss that buzz.

I got Permanent Waves and Hemispheres from WHSMith in January 1980. That's not cool is it? Then I got All the World's A Stage and Rush Through Time. Then I got 2112 and Archives...and so on...A Farewell to Kings was the last one. I bought it off a school friend, it was the US import. I didn't get the individual albums on Archives until a couple of years later.

Noob.

I got A Farewell To Kings on day of release. Already had all the other albums by then. All vinyl of course.

That just reveals that you're an old man, a very old man! :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger:

There was record store, more of a warehouse really, off Oxford Rd, called Yankees, or Yankee Records, I think. Do you remember the place. Lots of imports, usually had the top right corner snipped off for some reason.

Having a corner snipped like that would mean that they were 'cut-outs'- intended for promotion only, sent to radio stations, etc.

I'll bet they were relatively inexpensive, weren't they?

• Like 1

Noob.

Yanks not Yankees, yes I remember it. Later on, I think in the 90's it changed to Power Cuts.

Yanks. Thanks.

Miss that buzz.

Yeah, there was two Piccadilly records one near Oxford Road that was the place where you could get concert tickets as well. The other one was a little bit of a walk from the Arndale Centre. And even HMV and Virgin were good back in the 80's. Also there were some good independent shops in most towns. I used to go to a couple of places near me, Circus Records and Royal Records. And even Woolworths was decent. If the Woolworths of 1980 was suddenly transported to the present day it'd probably be one of the best record shops in the country!

• Like 2

Noob.

Having a corner snipped like that would mean that they were 'cut-outs'- intended for promotion only, sent to radio stations, etc.

I'll bet they were relatively inexpensive, weren't they?

Yeah, pretty cheap.

• Like 1

Noob.

Yanks. Thanks.

Miss that buzz.

Yeah, there was two Piccadilly records one near Oxford Road that was the place where you could get concert tickets as well. The other one was a little bit of a walk from the Arndale Centre. And even HMV and Virgin were good back in the 80's. Also there were some good independent shops in most towns. I used to go to a couple of places near me, Circus Records and Royal Records. And even Woolworths was decent. If the Woolworths of 1980 was suddenly transported to the present day it'd probably be one of the best record shops in the country!

Yeah, there was Vibes in Bury which was great back in the day and usually stocked everything I wanted. I remember getting Magnum II, the one with the mirror sleeve, from the bargain bin at Woolies.

• Like 1

Noob.

Yanks. Thanks.

Miss that buzz.

Yeah, there was Vibes in Bury which was great back in the day and usually stocked everything I wanted. I remember getting Magnum II, the one with the mirror sleeve, from the bargain bin at Woolies.

I remember getting Whitesnake's Live...in the Heart of the City from Woolies and Deep Purple 24 Carat Purple!

I started buying used (secondhand) CD and LPs in the late 80s. We had some wonderful shops back then (an old friend of mine still owns and operates one of them)... Plus, there was a great CD vendor at the Valley Indoor Swap Meet.

Thanks to all of those places, I was able to get a full Rush CD collection in 1988 or so... would just take my paycheck from gigs and pick up 2 or 3 at a time. It was like Christmas every time I would go! :)

Did the same thing with Genesis the year before

At the time I was satisfied with that and didn't start getting into collecting Rush on vinyl until much later !

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

Aside from getting all the albums the first part of the collection included Rush vinyl bootlegs from 1974, 1981, 1986 and The Rush Special (triple LP) Radio Show and spun out of control from there.
  • Like 1

My friends when I was 13 introduced me to Rush through AFTK and ATWAS. I picked up those two albums and then not long afterwards purchased Archives which at the time I felt was a distinct or major acquisition since none of my friends had any of those early albums. Most of them had 2112, the live album and what was then the new album. Edited by Northerner
  • Like 1

My friends when I was 13 introduced me to Rush through AFTK and ATWAS. I picked up those two albums and then not long afterwards purchased Archives which at the time I felt was a distinct or major acquisition since none of my friends had any of those early albums. Most of them had 2112, the live album and what was then the new album.

That's very cool . Did your friends dig the earlier stuff?

My 2 best friends in high school and I did that kind of thing with Genesis. Since none of us had any of the 70s albums, we all bought different ones and we'd trade them with each other (I'd put 'em on cassette until I could afford to buy my own copies.)

my clockwork angels shirt that i bought in the parking lot before my first Rush concert lol! i still have it but it's worn down so much that it's mostly a pajama shirt now.
  • Like 1

ATWAS baby, circa 77'. Started at the top...

Yup

First thing I got, round about 79-80.

I then bought Archives and 2112, then AFTK.

After that PEW, and date of release up until Presto after which I lost interest, every album being sub-par since

• Like 2

My friends when I was 13 introduced me to Rush through AFTK and ATWAS. I picked up those two albums and then not long afterwards purchased Archives which at the time I felt was a distinct or major acquisition since none of my friends had any of those early albums. Most of them had 2112, the live album and what was then the new album.

My 2 best friends in high school and I did that kind of thing with Genesis. Since none of us had any of the 70s albums, we all bought different ones and we'd trade them with each other (I'd put 'em on cassette until I could afford to buy my own copies.)

Yes, interestingly enough a couple of them thought the first album was by far the best of the three, and I certainly recall myself on more than one occasion back then suggesting something similar, that the debut was one of their best.

I had a close friend who I shared music purchases with as you did with yours - except for us it was the band Traffic because for some reason all of their albums were only available at the time in Toronto or Canada on import, so it was a bit more costly for a couple of young teenagers scraping together their allowance.

Edited by Northerner
  • Like 1

That's easy...first album, on vinyl! I lived in Youngstown, Ohio, where we listened to WMMS out of Cleveland, so yeah, I'm one of those midwestern rock fans who Donna Halper of WMMS turned on to "Working Man" in 1974 (yeah, I'm old)...!
  • Like 3

That's easy...first album, on vinyl! I lived in Youngstown, Ohio, where we listened to WMMS out of Cleveland, so yeah, I'm one of those midwestern rock fans who Donna Halper of WMMS turned on to "Working Man" in 1974 (yeah, I'm old)...!

Welcome, preahkaew ! :hi: It's nice to have you here! That's a cool memory to have- being in on Rush from the very beginning. There is a thread buried here somewhere from about awhile ago about "How long have you been a Rush Fan?" or something similar- you would have been one of the longer fans!

I grew up in Pittsburgh (in case you can't tell from my"signature", the part below my post, haha) so I wasn't too far from Youngstown. I first heard Rush on the radio in 1975 in my teens so . . .you do the math. There are fans of all ages here, including us vintage ones. Enjoy TRF!

• Like 1

Yes, interestingly enough a couple of them thought the first album was by far the best of the three, and I certainly recall myself on more than one occasion back then suggesting something similar, that the debut was one of their best.

I had a close friend who I shared music purchases with as you did with yours - except for us it was the band Traffic because for some reason all of their albums were only available at the time in Toronto or Canada on import, so it was a bit more costly for a couple of young teenagers scraping together their allowance.

Aahhh - Traffic, another one of my favorite bands. I'm surprised they were only imports!

• Like 1

First thing purchased (that I found available in a store) was A show of hand on VHS.

That's all I had for ages.

Then I brought the Rush biography 'Visions', and was able to read all about the many albums...I had not yet listened to :LOL:

• Like 3

At the time I remember receiving Grace Under Pressure on vinyl for my birthday around 85'. My older brother loved Rush so it wasn't the first I had heard of them. I had liked them up until then, I loved them when GUP came out. That was the first Rush item I owned. Now I own every album (complete CD collection, complete vinyl (missing Feedback), and Like 80% of the cassettes.
  • Like 1

Moving Pictures on cassette in 1982. Looking back now I wish I had known that vinyl would make a comeback. If I had an album for every cassette I bought in high school the collection would be enormous

Moving Pictures on cassette in 1982. Looking back now I wish I had known that vinyl would make a comeback. If I had an album for every cassette I bought in high school the collection would be enormous

Never got into pre-recorded cassettes. Always bought the albums and taped them. That way if the tape ever went bad, I could always record them again. Kind of like CDRs I guess.

• Like 1

Never got into pre-recorded cassettes. Always bought the albums and taped them. That way if the tape ever went bad, I could always record them again. Kind of like CDRs I guess.

A lot of 80s kids (myself included) were walkman kids. It was a big step to get vinyl records and then record them to tape. Plus when you are on a very small allowance, you don't have the extra money for blank tapes + $1 or $2 more for the LP (tapes were cheaper). I sort of regret not getting the vinyl records then, but at least those I was able to purchase years later. The thing I really regret is not picking up the Canadian 7" singles at Sam The Record Man back then. Those damn things are impossible to find now.

• Like 2

My first purchase was Permanent Waves but whether it was vinyl or CD I don't know. And all my Rush albums got lost in the move to Australia. I only kept in vinyl things like my original Beatles, Stones, Tull, and Clapton. Plus CDs. Got it down to 2 smallish cartons. Shipping to Australia is expensive.

A lot of 80s kids (myself included) were walkman kids. It was a big step to get vinyl records and then record them to tape. Plus when you are on a very small allowance, you don't have the extra money for blank tapes + $1 or $2 more for the LP (tapes were cheaper). I sort of regret not getting the vinyl records then, but at least those I was able to purchase years later. The thing I really regret is not picking up the Canadian 7" singles at Sam The Record Man back then. Those damn things are impossible to find now.

Normally it would be, but I went to St. Mark's Place in New York every Friday after school and bought the albums I wanted used. I can only wish I was in Canada more then. Managed to make a few safari's up there when I could back then, but there wasn't a lot to be found so I got what I could.