What do you prefer most? Live albums or live videos?

YYZumbi

13 members have voted

1. 1. Live video or live album?

• Live video
    • Live album
    • F*ck live! I only listen to studio albums!

I prefer a lot more listening to live albums.

I rarely watching a live video. Like once a year (if even that). When Im watching a live video, Im getting bored like after 2-3 songs, and it feels like Im wasting a lot of time. And I focus less on the music, and focus more on the stage work and such. That is annoying.

So I much rather listen to a live album. To me, it gives a lot more. I enjoy the music a lot more!

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 1

I prefer a lot more listening to live albums.

I rarely watching a live video. Like once a year (if even that). When Im watching a live video, Im getting bored like after 2-3 songs, and it feels like Im wasting a lot of time. And I focus less on the music, and focus more on the stage work and such. That is annoying.

So I much rather listen to a live album. To me, it gives a lot more. I enjoy the music a lot more!

Yeah thats why YouTube is perfect. Ive been watching some live Dead courtesy of Wolfgangs Vault.

• Like 1

I enjoy some live DVD's (Nightwish/Within Temptation/Paradise Lost/HIM come to mind).

But overall...live albums all the way.

Most bands though, I enjoy mostly the studio work.

• Like 1

I love both, but rarely have the time to watch the DVDs I have.

^ This.

I really enjoy live performance on video, but I actually get to watch one (just one!) maybe two or three times in a year.

I enjoy some live DVD's (Nightwish/Within Temptation/Paradise Lost/HIM come to mind).

I can boil down my enjoyment of live rock music down to McCartney's Wings Over America, Peter Frampton's Comes Alive, Queen Live Killers, and Cheap Trick's Budokan, and some boots by Grateful Dead and Black Crowes. Everything else I pretty much prefer the studio work by a long shot. Edited by goose

For me, there are three things going against modern concert videos:

- Too many fast edits and closeups that distract from the music and the vibe

- Too many shots of the audience

- I have grown to hate the giant video screens behind the band - for me, these monstrosities distract from the concert experience

Overall, live albums are more consistently enjoyable for me, even though there are the live shows that have been captured that are magic

• Like 1

I really enjoy concert DVDs. R40 for example has plenty of replay value. DVDs are more "appointment viewing" for when I'm in the mood compared to a cd. I haven't even listened to the R40 cds besides the bonus material.

My vote is for Live Albums just because of Live At Leeds.

If Live At Leeds was ever release on video....? I'd die.

Overall, it's great seeing the songs you love 'live' but I can't view it in my car.

This live performance is nothing but breathtaking.

http://youtu.be/nHwSzl5P2OA

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

I can boil down my enjoyment of live rock music down to McCartney's Wings Over America, Peter Frampton's Comes Alive, Queen Live Killers, and Cheap Trick's Budokan, and some boots by Grateful Dead and Black Crowes. Everything else I pretty much prefer the studio work by a long shot.

You can add Sting's Bring On The Night and Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense to that list.
  • Like 1

Live albums although I enjoy watching live concerts on DVD it's just not something I would do regularly like I would listen to the recordings.
  • Like 1

So many great live albums. SO MANY

Frampton Comes Alive, Live at Leeds, all the worlds a stage, Live at budokan, Made in Japan, One for the road, Live in New York. The list could go on forever, I didn't even scratch the surface.

Don't get my wrong, I love live DVD's but they get boring eventually, but never for a live album.

• Like 1

When you are just listening to music you can do something else: I can often listen to live albums (and studio albums and bootlegs) while I'm working but my contract don't allow me to stay seated for hours watching rock acts on the screen (I wouldn't mind....)

I'm used to buy both live DVDs and CDs of every officiale live release I'm very interested in anyway, because I like the visual aspect also (Michael Schenker "On A Mission - Live In Madrid" latest purchase)