Geddy's new purchase

blueschica

Geddy has added something new to his bass collection and put up this photo of it on Instagram- I never knew that Hofner even made these but apparently they did between 1961-1964. Wow!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/Screen%20Shot%202017-01-26%20at%206.50.40%20PM.png

• Like 11

I saw that today too. I would just like to see him play it. :drool:
  • Like 4

It is a lovely ornament nothing more. It looks very lovely and stylish and retro

But unfortunately by the 1960's Hoffner were about 20 years out of date. I know that Paul McCartney played one but by that time Fender were producing their Precision and the more expressive Jazz bass solid bodied bass guitars. The days of the hollow bodied bass guitars had seen their day. I know that this is not a hollow body but it uses a lot of very old electronic technology, with pickups etc.

The hollow bodied semi acoustic guitars like the Gibson ES range have always remained a favourite of Jazz players to this day for their lovely natural tone but very unusual to be used in a hard rock band with driven amplifiers.

Alex bought a Marshall 50 Watt Super Lead and an Echoplex and a 74 Les Paul straight off the store when Rush got their first advance in 74. He said that the guitar was an absolute pig and the neck was warped. He had it in a heat press on a couple of occasions but still it was never right so I believe he got rid of it.

I think his Cherry Red 335 is perhaps his most treasured guitar. Around 75 or 76 a long throw horn from the PA fell off and gouged the neck out. After Alex had it repaired he said that he would never take any more chances with it and it was retired to stay at home, I don't blame him.

I have 9 guitars but only 3 that I use live . You may say "well what is the point of that?" But they are all special to me and from time to time I take each one out and play for a little while.

• Like 1

That's one of the most homely POS's I've ever seen. Even for just a collectible. :LOL:

I wonder who specifically asked Höfner said POS. It's so atrocious, I wouldn't accept one if Höfner build/gave it to me for free! :LOL:
  • Like 2

Only reason I can remotely see possibly wanting to buy one would be if you were a Paul McCartney fan and just wanted to Hofner because of that. Just in general.

Or maybe if you just had more money than you knew what to do with.

• Like 2

Yeah but his Ricky's sounded like a genuine Ricky was supposed to, that's the whole point in using a particular instrument for the tone it has whereas his Fender Jazz which started off sounding like a great Fender with some growl now sounds like..........er, I don't know what, dogshit maybe!!!
  • Like 2

So are the electronics in the background of the picture part of his "home amp"?

I wonder what it consists of.

I was wondering that also. :) I wish the picture had showed more of that set up but I guess it was just a quick pic before the dog moved! :D

• Like 1

I take your point New Digital but I am not very qualified to talk about Rush - post GUP

The overdriven Jazz is an acquired taste, to some it sounds great and to others who love players like Larry Graham, Bernard Edwards, Marcus Miller and Verdine White who all used the JB in their careers it seems like sacrilege and a pile of shit. I personally loved the sounds on MP with the overdrive and compression Geddy used and achieved.

But then putting a semi acoustic guitar through a blazing hot Hiwatt or Marshall had never really been done before. They were the staple of Jazz greats like George Benson, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour.

Alex had to stuff cotton wool into his 335 to stop the squealing FB at high volume, but he got the sound that he was looking for :-)

Thanks for you post fellow fan and always happy to discuss, but as I say I am not qualified to give an opinion after 1982.

KR's

Stevie :-)

The little dog is a "Yorkie"

Sweet little Yorkshire terrier

Very affectionate breed but will kill bite the head off rats and other rodents.

They were bred to be "working dogs" on land or a farm in England to hunt out rats and vermin for their master.

But terriers are so very affectionate and totally loyal towards humans XXXX

Steve

Geddy has added something new to his bass collection and put up this photo of it on Instagram- I never knew that Hofner even made these but apparently they did between 1961-1964. Wow!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/Screen%20Shot%202017-01-26%20at%206.50.40%20PM.png

This is amazing!! :D

:rush:

• Like 2