Neil's drum set: better with single or double bass?

fraroc

I definitely think that the double bass kit suited Neil much better. Hell, I think all drummers should play with two separate bass drums.

Neil's single bass kits look a little more cutting edge and are arranged in a way that seemed the most natural to him, but it just never looked right to my eyes.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 2

The R40 drum kit was dull sounding but the original Chromey sounded awesome. Much better than any kit that he after that with the exception of the red Tama's.
  • Like 2

Double bass drums. Using a double bass pedal on a single bass drum won't provide as quality a sound as two individual bass drums.

In which songs does Peart use double bass for a beat?

I can only think of One Little Victory.

Plenty of songs where he uses double bass for a drum fill.

Edited by Mr. Not

I definitely think that the double bass kit suited Neil much better. Hell, I think all drummers should play with two separate bass drums.

Neil's single bass kits look a little more cutting edge and are arranged in a way that seemed the most natural to him, but it just never looked right to my eyes.

It really doesn't matter to me; he's a master no matter what.

But I do love watching him play on a kit with two bass drums.

• Like 1

The R40 drum kit was dull sounding but the original Chromey sounded awesome. Much better than any kit that he after that with the exception of the red Tama's.

what she said.

Mick

I personally liked the sound of the R40 drums more than either CA Tour or TM Tour, since those are the only concerts I've been to.

what she said.

Mick

I personally liked the sound of the R40 drums more than either CA Tour or TM Tour, since those are the only concerts I've been to.

The single bass drum kit sounded OK but the double bass kit was muddy as heck. None of the toms were distinct. It might've been how they had it miked but the shows I went to it it didn't sound very clear.

• Like 1

I want quadruple bass drums! :Neil:

Alex Van Halen, ladies and germs...

f5b398ddfa46edcaae8b06a5fc270e0a.jpg

In a somewhat recent Modern Drummer article, AVH mentions that one of his current four bass drums is really a little fridge used to keep his drinks cold, but made up to look like a bass drum. :NP: :hail:

• Like 1

In a somewhat recent Modern Drummer article, AVH mentions that one of his current four bass drums is really a little fridge used to keep his drinks cold, but made up to look like a bass drum. :NP: :hail:

:LOL:
  • Like 1

:LOL:

I tried to post a pic, but was foiled. :(

If you're curious, have a look on Google Images. "bass drum fridge" or "van halen bass drum" should bring it right up!

• Like 1

Single bass drum is better.

When you're mic-ing a drum kit, especially live, you're trying to find as much tone as you can without picking up resonance from... literally everything else happening.

When I used to play in bands and stuff, all of two years ago, I had plenty of chances to go with two bass drums. It'd save some money even, given the price of the double pedals compared to two single pedals and how cheap and easy bass drums are to find... but if you're trying to keep your tone options open, and not just clip/gate the hell out of the thing, you need to get less resonance across the board.

At least, that's what I always read, and heard from audio engineers.

Just too much unneeded resonance in two of the things.

• Like 1

I liked Neil's double bass drums much better... you can add the two other tenor toms back into the mix as well.

Side note - I've been drumming all of my life on and off... I always played two bass drums. A few times I tried a single drum with the double pedal and it always felt weird to me. The drumless pedal never had the impact of the direct hit of the mallet striking the drum head. Likely this was all in my head, but it sure felt better (and I think I played better) with two drums. Plus, two drums makes a great rack mount for the toms!!!

• Like 2