Rehearsed Songs That Didn't Make the Final Set

Starman2113

Also supposedly Nuerotica was planned for CA tour, personally I've always liked this song.

Really? I thought I read somewhere Ged didn't like that song? Of course, he is on record saying he hated Lakeside Park too...

• Like 2

Also supposedly Nuerotica was planned for CA tour, personally I've always liked this song.

I like Neurotica, but it could really benefit from a heavier sound. I always thought it would have been cool live.

• Like 3

Really? I thought I read somewhere Ged didn't like that song? Of course, he is on record saying he hated Lakeside Park too...

I always liked it too!
  • Like 1

I like Neurotica, but it could really benefit from a heavier sound. I always thought it would have been cool live.

Me as well, I like that one.

• Like 2

Neil mentioned in a magazine interview before R40 that he wanted to perform Hand Over Fist but I guess it never made it past rehearsals

I'm surprised neither Cut To The Chase nor Between Sun & Moon made it for the Counterparts tours or after. I know they briefly did BS&M during the VT tour but I always thought that song deserved more attention.

Also allegedly Second Nature was rehearsed in acoustic form for R30 but never made it past the planning stage

Dang. Hand Over Fist would've been awesome...

• Like 4

Neil mentioned in a magazine interview before R40 that he wanted to perform Hand Over Fist but I guess it never made it past rehearsals

Dang. Hand Over Fist would've been awesome...

Maybe the others thought if they left it out Neil might want to tour again? :D

I'm surprised neither Cut To The Chase nor Between Sun & Moon made it for the Counterparts tours or after. I know they briefly did BS&M during the VT tour but I always thought that song deserved more attention.

Also allegedly Second Nature was rehearsed in acoustic form for R30 but never made it past the planning stage

"Hand Over Fist" is the most random song they could have brought out. I've listened to that album hundreds of times and don't think I've ever thought about that song one way or the other. I guess it's not bad but...really? That's the one Neil wanted to play?

BTW, here's the interview where Geddy said they rehearsed "Second Nature" acoustic for R30 but cut it for time constraints: http://squintyt4e.livejournal.com/49580.html

• Like 2

Hand Over Fist wouldn't have worked well on R40. It's the type of song that needs to be within the first 5 songs. It could've worked in place of Presto on Time Machine well, but not on R40.

Also, I don't know if it was rehearsed or not, but Ged mentioned before R40 that he was very interested in playing Chemistry (and Cut to the Chase for that matter), but he wasn't sure about the others.

on Chemistry -

"Oh, great. I wrote that song in my basement when I lived in the country. That was one of the first songs I demoed on my own and then brought to the band. And then Neil did his lyrical magic on it. That's a cool song. I like that song."

So, once again not sure if it was actually rehearsed but you never know.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/rushs-geddy-lee-answers-your-twitter-questions-20141114

• Like 1

Got any links on this, as well as the other ones? I think they would have been superb songs to see in concert.

• Like 2

"Hand Over Fist" is the most random song they could have brought out. I've listened to that album hundreds of times and don't think I've ever thought about that song one way or the other. I guess it's not bad but...really? That's the one Neil wanted to play?

The lyrics and sentiment of it, probably.

ETA: Listening to it right now. Alex's parts are really cool, but it's a bit dull from a drumming perspective.

Edited by goose

I'd have to read a source confirming this because Geddy dismissed that song recently as "I don't know what we were thinking" . I highly doubt that they ever considered performing that one. It's got easily one of, if not THE, weakest chorus they ever put to tape

• Like 2

In hindsight, I remember Presto getting somewhat of a similar reaction in 2010 for some being an oddball song to bring out, but gradually I warmed up to it especially after hearing it live a second time on the 2011 leg of the Time Machine Tour.

I do wonder now if Hand Over Fist would've fared better with the audience than How It Is live...

• Like 1

In hindsight, I remember Presto getting somewhat of a similar reaction in 2010 for some being an oddball song to bring out, but gradually I warmed up to it especially after hearing it live a second time on the 2011 leg of the Time Machine Tour.

I do wonder now if Hand Over Fist would've fared better with the audience than How It Is live...

I would have preferred it. I think that song is one of the lesser ones on VT. That album had multiple choices that would have been better (IMO).

Edited to add: Given how other Presto tunes have sounded on later tours, I think War Paint would have been a superb choice.

Edited by 78jazz
  • Like 2

Got any links on this, as well as the other ones? I think they would have been superb songs to see in concert.

I read this in various reddit posts over the years, however I don't have any sources confirming it. That's why I said "supposedly". I've also yet to read interviews on the addition to Open Secrets also suggested in this thread, I would love to read about that one as well.

I still can´t believe they never considered playing Sweet Miracle on ANY tour...the chorus is as catchy and positive as they could have come up with during such a turbulent time/album. When the Brazilian tour was announced in 2002 Sweet Miracle got a lot of airplay, and I was sure they would include it in the setlist at some point, but they didn´t.
  • Like 2

I still can´t believe they never considered playing Sweet Miracle on ANY tour...the chorus is as catchy and positive as they could have come up with during such a turbulent time/album. When the Brazilian tour was announced in 2002 Sweet Miracle got a lot of airplay, and I was sure they would include it in the setlist at some point, but they didn´t.

A lot of the VT material would work really well live, yet as of now we only have 6/13 songs played

• Like 1

Yeeeccccckkkk. After Earthshine I pretty much go right to the last song. Just for closure.

• Like 1

Both tracks from VT just kill the set.

Both tracks from VT just kill the set.

VT has great songs, and a great energy to them that really translate well live.

• Like 2

I remember hearing about AFTKs and being bummed at the time that it was apparently beyond his range. Which in retrospect seems really odd because it's not really a high pitched song.

Its peak isn't too high, but it's very difficult to belt out according to this amateur automobile vocalist, especially the second verse!

"amateur automobile vocalist" Love it!

• Like 1