Rehearsed Songs That Didn't Make the Final Set

Starman2113

Time & Motion was rehearsed for the TFE Tour, sad that that one never made it on

Yes, it did.

They dropped it after the first couple weeks. I saw them play it the second night of the tour.

Yeah, Geddy couldn't sing it well with all the harmonies being played around his main vocals :/ sad stuff lol

Never knew the reason it was dropped. But it didn't stay around long, so obviously something wasn't working with it. Also, that was a very long set that tour. They could have cut it simply to save a little time.

This is interest stuff .... Where do you guys read about this ??

The rumor about AFTK being rehearsed i've read a handful of times on the internet. So, i'm guessing there's a little bit of truth to that. I think it would have been great as the first song of the encore.

"We tried to rehearse 'A Farewell To Kings' on the last tour and I couldn't successfully sing that without hurting myself, so we gave up. So yeah, there are moments of the past I cannot sing anymore." - Geddy Lee, Blender, April 2009

• Like 3

Time & Motion was rehearsed for the TFE Tour, sad that that one never made it on

Yes, it did.

They dropped it after the first couple weeks. I saw them play it the second night of the tour.

Yeah, Geddy couldn't sing it well with all the harmonies being played around his main vocals :/ sad stuff lol

Never knew the reason it was dropped. But it didn't stay around long, so obviously something wasn't working with it. Also, that was a very long set that tour. They could have cut it simply to save a little time.

There's a rehearsal bootleg from that tour, when you go to listen to Time & Motion you can definitely tell Geddy's struggling to remember where the main vocals come in with all the harmonies. So, *shrug* lol

• Like 3

The rumor about AFTK being rehearsed i've read a handful of times on the internet. So, i'm guessing there's a little bit of truth to that. I think it would have been great as the first song of the encore.

"We tried to rehearse 'A Farewell To Kings' on the last tour and I couldn't successfully sing that without hurting myself, so we gave up. So yeah, there are moments of the past I cannot sing anymore." - Geddy Lee, Blender, April 2009

Somewhere there's an interview where Geddy says they wanted to play Hemispheres on the same tour, but he couldn't sing it anymore so it was dropped as well

• Like 2

Ah, so it was the S&A tour then not R30.

Geddy did start taking better care of his voice for the CA and R40 tours. Too bad they didn't try to bring it back then. I guess whatever the problem was, he couldn't get past it.

• Like 1

Somewhere there's an interview where Geddy says they wanted to play Hemispheres on the same tour, but he couldn't sing it anymore so it was dropped as well

After they brought the 3 hour format to their tours, they should've brought that back. They did 2112 on the T4E tour, they could easily have done that on the VT tour.

Yes, it did.

IIRC they rotated Time And Motion & Resist on the 1996 leg of the T4E tour. The first time they'd done that kind of song swapping I think.

I assume they thought Resist was strong enough to play every night. Good idea, was a highlight of the gig for me...

• Like 1

I remember hearing about AFTKs and being bummed at the time that it was apparently beyond his range. Which in retrospect seems really odd because it's not really a high pitched song.

Its peak isn't too high, but it's very difficult to belt out according to this amateur automobile vocalist, especially the second verse!

• Like 2

I remember hearing about AFTKs and being bummed at the time that it was apparently beyond his range. Which in retrospect seems really odd because it's not really a high pitched song.

Maybe if they cut out the "EYES cast down on the PATH of LEAST... RESISTANCEEEeeEeE!!!!!" part.

Yeah he could easily have sung that an octave down.

• Like 1

Apparently, Open Secrets was rehearsed for the HYF tour, but was dropped in favor of Turn The Page.

Where did you hear that? I haven't heard anywhere that Open Secrets was played live. If it's true then I really wish they played it. I don't see whats wrong playing that song AND turn the page, both great songs. One of the highlights of the album is Open Secrets in my opinion.

• Like 1

Apparently, Open Secrets was rehearsed for the HYF tour, but was dropped in favor of Turn The Page.

I like both, but I prefer Trun the Page

I prefer Open Secrets, but I'd rather see Turn The Page live.

• Like 2

I like both, but I prefer Trun the Page

I prefer Open Secrets, but I'd rather see Turn The Page live.

Turn the Page is a good one!

• Like 1

Distant Early Warning was rehearsed on the Counterparts Tour, but didn't make it.

It's not hard to see why Farewell to Kings didn't make it, lots of high parts.

"EYES cast out on the path of LEAST, RESISTAAAAANCE"

"WITHERED HEARTS AND CRUEL TORMENTED EYES"

"BEATING DOOOOOOOOWN the MULTITUDE and, SCOFFING AT THE WISE"

"HOW CAN WE LEARN, to feel what's right, AND WHAT'S WRONG! WHAT's WROOOOONG?"

"CAN WE RAISE OUR EYES, AND MAKE A SONG!"

"CAN WE FIND THE MINDS TO LEAD US CLOSER, TO, THE HEART"

I'd DREAD hearing that on Snakes or CA. and Something for Nothing on R40... Whew.

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 4

I think Fly By Night and Something For Nothing were rehearsed for R40

Gee, I wonder why neither of those made the final set. ;)

Imagine hearing Something For Nothing on opening night. Jaws would drop as hard as they did for Lakeside Park

I realize I am just one person, but I think Lakeside Park was a far better song choice.

SUCKS. Open Secrets would have been more enjoyable IMO.

I thought there was some bit about AFTK being rehearsed for the Presto tour, but the logistics of the segue from the title track were never worked out.

I AM curious why DEW didn't make the cut for the CP tour. I wonder if time had anything to do with this.

• Like 1

Yes, it did.

Great Song!
  • Like 1

I thought there was some bit about AFTK being rehearsed for the Presto tour, but the logistics of the segue from the title track were never worked out.

They clearly perfected it with "Xanaconductor" on the next tour...

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 3

On "Taking Centre Stage" (at least I think it was TCS) Neil commented on how Jacob's Ladder didn't make the cut for Time Machine.... saying, "sometimes, you can never go back". Thank goodness, it made the cut on R40...For me, it was a highlight of the concert. Edited by Phantom
  • Like 5

They clearly perfected it with "Xanaconductor" on the next tour...

ah yes the xanaconductor... Glad they didn't do that sort of thing again. Although, Far Cry/Hemispheres would've been pretty cool. Headlong Flight/Bastille Day could've worked too

• Like 3

Yes, it did.

I saw them two times and think I heard it too (the Greatwoods, MA show).

Neil mentioned in a magazine interview before R40 that he wanted to perform Hand Over Fist but I guess it never made it past rehearsals

I'm surprised neither Cut To The Chase nor Between Sun & Moon made it for the Counterparts tours or after. I know they briefly did BS&M during the VT tour but I always thought that song deserved more attention.

Also allegedly Second Nature was rehearsed in acoustic form for R30 but never made it past the planning stage

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 4

Neil mentioned in a magazine interview before R40 that he wanted to perform Hand Over Fist but I guess it never made it past rehearsals

I'm surprised neither Cut To The Chase nor Between Sun & Moon made it for the Counterparts tours or after. I know they briefly did BS&M during the VT tour but I always thought that song deserved more attention.

Also allegedly Second Nature was rehearsed in acoustic form for R30 but never made it past the planning stage

I would've loved to hear all these.
  • Like 1