Rush and Kansas: rivals?

fraroc

As far as I know, there was never a formal rivalry between Kansas and Rush, however judging by how some Rush fans just don't like Kansas, part of me kinda thinks otherwise. I believe there might have been a rivalry, but it was kinda like an "unspoken rivalry"

Both bands are my favorite bands like, ever. And definitely two of my favorite out of the Big Four Of Prog (Rush, Kansas, Yes, and ELP).

Rush is unique in the sense that they're a three piece with a bassist that sings and also plays keyboards. Kansas is unique in the sense of they introduced the idea of a violin in rock and metal.

• Like 2

I always liked them both. :huh: In my opinion, early Rush had more of a harder rock sound while early Kansas had more of a prog sound (Kansas, Song for America, Masque). Rush got more prog with AFTK and Hemispheres and Kansas got kind of a harder/more mainstream sound with Leftoverture and Point of No Return so there you go. I still love to give those early Kansas albums a good listen.

Not sure about any rivalry.

• Like 3

I've never read anything about a rivalry between Rush and Kansas.

I don't understand where the logic comes from in "some Rush fans don't like Kansas" sooooo "there might've been an unspoken rivalry between the two bands". Hell, some Rush fans don't like Tool but I've seen absolutely no rivalry between the two bands there either.

• Like 5

I could be wrong, but I believe Geddy started playing the keyboards because he always wanted to do that awkward headstand thing Steve Walsh would do ..

I forgot about this one though:

Some Lucas fans don't like JohnnyBlaze so there's a rivalry between the two. They actually want to murder each other. It's all unspoken though.

• Like 3

I could be wrong, but I believe Geddy started playing the keyboards because he always wanted to do that awkward headstand thing Steve Walsh would do ..

Some Lucas fans don't like JohnnyBlaze so there's a rivalry between the two. They actually want to murder each other. It's all unspoken though.

... there's no reasoning with a Lucas fan

http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Star-Wars-parody.png

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

the handwritten label on the right :LOL:

• Like 3

the handwritten label on the right :LOL:

sadly, it looks like a BIG binder

:LOL:

I don't understand where the logic comes from in "some Rush fans don't like Kansas" sooooo "there might've been an unspoken rivalry between the two bands". Hell, some Rush fans don't like Tool but I've seen absolutely no rivalry between the two bands there either.

One difference though, Tool isn't a 70s prog juggernaut.

One difference though, Tool isn't a 70s prog juggernaut.

You don't even see how mental your reasoning is which is why I gave the ridiculous Lucas and JohnnyBlaze analogy of wanting to murder each other.

If you had said Van Halen and Rush it'd be reasonable because at least there are things you could quote from different members from each band + Ray Daniels. Here, with Rush and Kansas, you're just conjuring it out of thin air.

• Like 2

Kansas SUCKS!!

Lita Ford got big coz she's a tart and Cheap Trick blow

And Kansas are amazing.

• Like 1

Kansas and Rush arent very comparable for me. I do find though that A Farewell To King's, Leftoverture and Point Of Know Return make a nice little trilogy! I dunno why really but AFTK has a bit of that mystical feel I think those Kansas album have in spades!

But that's not rivalry. That's shared kickassery

• Like 2

One is Canadian Prog, the other Hillbilly Prog. Hillbilly Progsters think Canadian Progsters have purty mouths...

Kansas isn't in the Appalachian or ozarks so not hillbilly

Tornado trailer prog.