What bands do you owe a debt of gratitude?

Lorraine

My Big Three

- KISS: for reassuring me that it is OK to be myself, regardless of my surroundings

- Rush: for making me realize why it is not only OK to be myself, but the only way to be

- The Dead Boys: because sometimes when you go about your business, others will try to knock you down

I can't believe KISS made your list :LOL: .... :)

How'd that happen ??

;)

• Like 1

This is not thanking a certain band, I wish to thank a certain year.

I was 12 years old and My family moved from Illinois to Hawaii (Military relocation) and I am thankful for what was personally a major year of growth mentally and physically for me. Music helped me thru this time. And I learned to love a wide variety of music.

1980-1981 were 2 absolutely amazing years musically and not sure I would have made it as easy without some of the great records that came out over 2 summers and an entire school year.

Queen- The Game, Ozzy- Blizzard of Ozz AND Diary of a Madman, Genesis- Duke AND Abacab, Pink Floyd- The Wall,

Foreigner- 4, Def Leppard- On Through The Night, The Police- Zenyatta Mondatta and Ghost In The Machine,

Rush - Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, REO Speedwagon - Hi Fidelity, Bruce Springsteen- The River,

Judas Priest- British Steel, Rolling Stones -Tattoo You, Van Halen -Women and Children First AND Fair Warning

Journey-Escape, Iron Maiden- Iron Maiden AND Killers, ACDC -Back In Black AND For Those About to Rock.

I know there were others, but ALL of these are still in my iPod

• Like 3

- Rush, Marillion, Doro Pesch, The Cure, Carl Palmer.

- Steven Wilson: Porcupine Tree, Bass Communion, Blackfield (credits to Aviv Geffen, please) and solo career.

- Riverside, Hartmann, The Doors, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, In Extremo.

- Nightwish, Lacuna Coil and The Gathering.

All these bands mean a lot, their music helped me to grow artistically and in music perception.

Also helped me to go through tough times. -- Tough times demand tough talk. And great music.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 3

My Big Three

- KISS: for reassuring me that it is OK to be myself, regardless of my surroundings

- Rush: for making me realize why it is not only OK to be myself, but the only way to be

- The Dead Boys: because sometimes when you go about your business, others will try to knock you down

I can't believe KISS made your list :LOL: .... :)

His Kiss was on his list...

Hall+%26+Oates_Kiss+On+My+List-517779.jpg

Psgeq3fYgY-2.png

• Like 1

I was 12 years old and My family moved from Illinois to Hawaii (Military relocation) and I am thankful for what was personally a major year of growth mentally and physically for me. Music helped me thru this time. And I learned to love a wide variety of music.

1980-1981 were 2 absolutely amazing years musically and not sure I would have made it as easy without some of the great records that came out over 2 summers and an entire school year.

Queen- The Game, Ozzy- Blizzard of Ozz AND Diary of a Madman, Genesis- Duke AND Abacab, Pink Floyd- The Wall,

Foreigner- 4, Def Leppard- On Through The Night, The Police- Zenyatta Mondatta and Ghost In The Machine,

Rush - Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, REO Speedwagon - Hi Fidelity, Bruce Springsteen- The River,

Judas Priest- British Steel, Rolling Stones -Tattoo You, Van Halen -Women and Children First AND Fair Warning

Journey-Escape, Iron Maiden- Iron Maiden AND Killers, ACDC -Back In Black AND For Those About to Rock.

:goodone: A heck of a year!
  • Like 1

To be honest...right now the only band I want to thank is Sonata Arctica.

I've been going through hell the last few months and they have been my one constant source of joy and they have songs everywhere that have just pulled me through the worst.

I just really connected with them right when I most needed a welcome distraction.

• Like 1

Rush - For whatever reason, just something about Rush hit me in a way no other band has. Add in the friends I've made because of them and bonding even more with my wife who fell in love with them too, and they're just a band who's always going to be special to me.

The Misfits - Horror themed punk? f**k YEAH! Never have I felt a band was more tailor-made for me. Me and the few friends I had in high school were freaks and that Crimson Ghost shirt was a battle flag.

Kiss - I didn't get into Kiss until I was older. Hell, even when I first came to this forum I wasn't that into them, but they've become one of my favorite bands for the sheer joy I associate with listening to them. In the Summer, me and my wife will sit outside and drink beer and have a good time singing these songs. They remind me not to take myself so seriously. Plus, my daughter's first concert was Kiss and she had a great time.

Portishead and Bjork - Got me through some tough early teenage years. I never liked happy songs when I was sad, I needed to hear songs I could relate to and not feel alone, and these two delivered at that time.

Against Me! - In my early 20s their lyrics really spoke to me and helped me get through some shit. Even though I don't think they're nearly as good now that they've gone a more poppy direction, me and my wife bonded over those early albums and I'm forever grateful for that.

Built to Spill - I can't even begin to state how important this band has been to me for years, so I'll just post this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC7DnBAL96k

Edited by Stormtron
  • Like 1

I like a lot of other bands but only one took me from being a casual listener to a fanatic. Only one inspired me to pick up an instrument. Only one made me want to do dig into music and find out how it all works. Only one made lyrics that spoke to me on a different level than others. Rush.
  • Like 1

I like a lot of other bands but only one took me from being a casual listener to a fanatic. Only one inspired me to pick up an instrument. Only one made me want to do dig into music and find out how it all works. Only one made lyrics that spoke to me on a different level than others. Rush.

:goodone:

On the greatest music decade poll, I was tempted to go with the eighties because the first five years of the decade were amazing when it came to music.

I agree with you especially regarding the first two years. Journey''s Escape - especially the lyrics to the title song - helped me so much.

• Like 2

David Bowie - It was a privilege to be alive at the same time as one of the greatest artists of the late 20th Century.

I was listening to him the other day for the first time in a long time and wondered why I had never before realized his talent. I wish I had seen him in the seventies or eighties.

Like you, I consider it a privilege to have been around when he and many other bands first came on the scene. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of seeing all of them in concert. But that's what happens when you make the mistake of thinking that somehow you will all always be young and time won't ever march on.

The Beatles - Sat in front of the TV that night in 1964 with my family to watch The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. After that night I knew music would be a big part of my life. I was 9 y.o.

This for me. My life was never the same, in a good way, from that night forward. Oh and btw, I was 7 so am 2 years younger than you.

• Like 1

Kiss - They started it all for me. They were my first rock band and my parents hated them. I loved them. Kiss Alive II was my first foray and then I went back and picked up Alive which to this day is one of my favorite records by any artist. It was pure, bombastic, over the top fun.

Rush - They changed my life. From the moment I heard Red Barchetta, the course of life, how I thought about music, it all changed forever. They had such a profound influence/impact on me as a person, musician and just in ways that all of you probably understand. They were super heroes for me as a kid growing up. Larger than life, mysterious for so long too. Not until after Test For Echo did we really have much insight into the band like we do today. I collected everything from them. I have hundreds of news articles, magazines, trinkets, pins, tapestry, posters, every album, every video/DVD/BluRay....but nothing like that dude on Time Stand Still LOL. In any case Rush was and is my biggest influence.

Pink Floyd - I really did not get into Floyd heavy till my early 20's. It coincided with my foray into LSD and mushrooms and experimentation with my own musical creations. David Gilmore is a massive influence on my playing as well. Such an incredible guitarist. He can do more with one note than any guitarist on the planet.

Led Zeppelin - Not as big of an influence as Rush and Floyd, but......Jimmy Pages studio prowess opened up my eyes and ears to learning how to layer with acoustic guitars, develop more of a bluesy feel to my writing and also how to let loose a little more and be more spontaneous in the writing process. My two other long time band mates introduced the deep album tracks of Zeppelin to me (I was 21) with Physical Graffiti. Doing gravity bong hits for an hour straight and then dropping the needle on "In The Light" it was a religious experience.

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson - So Steven Wilson came into my life on my road trip up to Tampa for the Snakes and Arrows tour in 2007. Some folks on the old board known as Rushtour.com pleaded with me to give this band a listen. So I picked up Fear Of A Blank Planet. The rest was history. Simply put, Porcupine Tree and now Steven Wilson's solo stuff has had the biggest impact on me since hearing Rush's Moving Pictures back in 1981. It was a musical renaissance for me. Here is a band that truly goes to places that no band does today nor did while they were making their mark in the late 90's and through the early 2000's. Incredible production, playing and songwriting. Stevens solo career is even more elaborate and expansive. He is pushing the bar higher and higher with each successive release.

Muse - I am a huge fan. I feel this power trio is one of the absolute best rock bands today. In a world where we are starving for progressive pop rock....Muse delivers the goods on so many levels. I was blown away when I picked up Black Holes and Revelations and worked my way back and have since loved every release. I have had the pleasure of seeing them just once live thus far (The brilliant 2nd Law tour) and they were quite possibly one of the 5 best bands I have ever seen live (Rush, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, The Black Crowes and Muse). They are a band that pushes hard, seeks new sound and sonic landscapes and plays with incredible passion and precision. I love them.

Other bands that had positive influences on me and my musical journey in life are:

The Black Crowes

Queensryche

Temple Of The Dog

U2

Dio

Iron Maiden

Jeff Buckely

Dream Theatre

Live

Stone Temple Pilots

Pearl Jam - Ten (and Ten only)

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I'm thankful to Captain Beefheart and Trout mask Replica. it really got me to think outside the box about what is accepted as music. what on the surface level is chaos and mucking about is actually painfully crafted and there is melody there. must be willing to accept that your prior conceptions are being challenged.

Mick

• Like 2