Geddy: 'I Think I've Accepted That' RUSH Has Done Its Last Tour"

zappafrank

Some fans still won't accept that touring is over for the band. The comments at the end of that article demonstrate that.

The comments later on in this thread will also demonstrate that, I'll wager.
  • Like 10

Thanks Neil. We really appreciate it. I sincerely hope your happy now that someone that is supposed to be your friend now has to accept that HIS OWN BAND will no longer play live because of you. Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Injuries are a serious business for professional drummers.

I hope Neil makes a full recovery and the band start recording again asap.

if he does not quit motorcycling the way he does , it will only get worse :codger:
  • Like 1

Thanks Neil. We really appreciate it. I sincerely hope your happy now that someone that is supposed to be your friend now has to accept that HIS OWN BAND will no longer play live because of you.

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

To easy to dismiss the feelings this way. I'm sure -- maybe not in the way fraroc phrased it -- many fans are echoing Geddy's feelings.....none of the members of Rush are ancient or disabled, and there are many ways to compromise on the "tour issue." Fewer shows, don't travel by motorcycle, only tour behind a new album, etc. For an endeavor of 40+ years to end so seemingly abruptly has to be a tough pill to swallow, particularly for those involved. And it's natural to wonder if/when Neil might change his mind.

Thanks Neil. We really appreciate it. I sincerely hope your happy now that someone that is supposed to be your friend now has to accept that HIS OWN BAND will no longer play live because of you.

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

To easy to dismiss the feelings this way. I'm sure -- maybe not in the way fraroc phrased it -- many fans are echoing Geddy's feelings.....none of the members of Rush are ancient or disabled, and there are many ways to compromise on the "tour issue." Fewer shows, don't travel by motorcycle, only tour behind a new album, etc. For an endeavor of 40+ years to end so seemingly abruptly has to be a tough pill to swallow, particularly for those involved. And it's natural to wonder if/when Neil might change his mind.

Is it abrupt really? Maybe in an obsessed fan's mind.

Hasn't Neil stated a few times already that it wasn't a quick decision?

And even if it was abrupt, so what? When it comes down to it, nobody owes anything to anyone. I'm as diehard a Rush fan as anyone. He doesn't want to work, he doesn't want to work.

As far as fraroc' comment goes, that's just selfish, self-centered crap. And that's the truth. "Because of you" garbage. I'm with Digital Dad and the "Get over it" sentiment.

• Like 12

I'd be shocked to see the three appear in public together again, let alone on stage together

Neil's failure to appear with Geddy and Alex in interviews and public gatherings has nothing to do with his health - he just doesn't want to do it ..

Add to that the fact that he has always prided himself on perfection, so it is completely understandable - even expected - that he wants to go out on top, and not attempt to perform at the level he is known ..

Live for yourself, there's no one else ... more worth living for .... Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more ...

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 7

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

YOU.

KNOW.

I'M.

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111!!!!!11

Watching the documentary, it's clear that even after the tour had started, Ray, Geddy, and Al expected a European leg and maybe a second American leg. Neil put the kibbosh on that. THAT'S how I use the term "abrupt". Whether you think Neil telegraphed his decision or not, several members of the organization weren't prepared for the apparent finality of the decision.

When it comes down to it, nobody owes anything to anyone. I'm as diehard a Rush fan as anyone. He doesn't want to work, he doesn't want to work.

Well, that's where the grey area is, isn't it? Here's what Neil said in a Modern Drummer interview published this past January:

MD: What's in the future? If Rush isn't touring, will you still record? Write prose? Be a dad?

Neil: You just answered it. There's no strict answer, but those possibilities are all there.

That sure looks like holding the door open on new music to me. And if he goes that far, perhaps he might realize that there are compromises that can be made with respect to touring, ESPECIALLY knowing that playing live means a lot to the guys who have been his friends and co-creators for the past 40 years. And that doesn't even take into consideration that his own feelings might change after he's had time to decompress a while.

• Like 1

I'd be shocked to see the three appear in public together again, let alone on stage together

Neil's failure to appear with Geddy and Alex in interviews and public gatherings has nothing to do with his health - he just doesn't want to do it ..

Add to that the fact that he has always prided himself on perfection, so it is completely understandable - even expected - that he wants to go out on top, and not attempt to perform at the level he is known ..

Live for yourself, there's no one else ... more worth living for .... Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more ...

Because screwing over your only two friends (who founded the band you're in) out of ever performing again is the message in Something For Nothing.

I don't care what he thinks about the fans, but f***ing over people that care about you is honestly the shittiest thing you can ever do.

Edited by fraroc

We haven't seen the documentary yet, but I am sure I will be heartbroken. I have been very fortunate to have seen them 4 times in the last 6 years, but I don't want it to end. If Geddy and Al do something, just the 2 of them....how will you guys feel about that?
  • Like 2

Because screwing over your only two friends (who founded the band you're in) out of ever performing again is the message in Something For Nothing.

I don't care what he thinks about the fans, but f***ing over people that care about you is honestly the shittiest thing you can ever do.

I think Neil has other friends other than Ged and Alex. On the flip side of the coin, one could argue that Alex and Geddy f***d Neil over by tricking him into one more tour which he really didn't want to do.

• Like 3

GET. OVER. IT!!!!

And even if it was abrupt, so what? When it comes down to it, nobody owes anything to anyone. I'm as diehard a Rush fan as anyone. He doesn't want to work, he doesn't want to work.

As far as fraroc' comment goes, that's just selfish, self-centered crap. And that's the truth. "Because of you" garbage. I'm with Digital Dad and the "Get over it" sentiment.

I don't think that would cut the mustard in most life situations these days! For many it's either work or starve. But yes, I agree that Neil has every right to go and do whatever he wants now, he's earned it. Plus if he physically really struggles to do it now, he shouldn't be forced or guilt tripped into continuing to suffer, basic human empathy tells me that.

Some friendly advice to anyone that is in denial, or doesn't understand, or wants to throw shit at Neil: read his latest book. I found it to be more enjoyable than other recent books (probably as it reflected more on the subject matter of Rush, even with alot of touring diary as well.) It is more direct than "Time Stand Still". It is very clear about his reasoning (and it's not just injuries, or just his daughter, or having reached his goals, or just any one thing.) You may not agree with him (clearly, even his good friend Geddy has a different opinion), but you have to respect his choice in how to live the rest of his life. The last chapter raises the fates of John Bonham, Keith Moon, and Dennis Wilson. The dude went through hell and came back and gave 13 more years packed with music and shows. Let him live his life.
  • Like 11

Some friendly advice to anyone that is in denial, or doesn't understand, or wants to throw shit at Neil: read his latest book. I found it to be more enjoyable than other recent books (probably as it reflected more on the subject matter of Rush, even with alot of touring diary as well.) It is more direct than "Time Stand Still". It is very clear about his reasoning (and it's not just injuries, or just his daughter, or having reached his goals, or just any one thing.) You may not agree with him (clearly, even his good friend Geddy has a different opinion), but you have to respect his choice in how to live the rest of his life. The last chapter raises the fates of John Bonham, Keith Moon, and Dennis Wilson. The dude went through hell and came back and gave 13 more years packed with music and shows. Let him live his life.

So to be clear.....there's a difference between judging Neil or flaming him for ending the band (very wrong) and speculating whether he will ultimately change his mind (harmless conversation fodder in the context of this message board). I will say that any comparison to Bonham or Moon -- even if it's by Neil himself -- is a bit of a non-sequitur. At this point in their career, Neil has complete control over the manner in which the band tours, if the future does in deed hold more tours. It can be as pleasant or as grueling as he wants it to be.

If Geddy and Al do something, just the 2 of them....how will you guys feel about that?

It would be great! They're musicians, and that's what musicians do - make music. More power to 'em!!

• Like 4

We haven't seen the documentary yet, but I am sure I will be heartbroken. I have been very fortunate to have seen them 4 times in the last 6 years, but I don't want it to end. If Geddy and Al do something, just the 2 of them....how will you guys feel about that?

If Geddy and Alex are playing together, I'm there regardless of who else is or isn't in the band :yes:

• Like 8

Well said.

The release of this documentary certainly raises the possibility of a Geddy/Alex collaboration. In fact, I believe that's what it's all about. Out with the old, in with the new.

There is no other reason for this doc to exist - they are setting the stage for a different act.

• Like 2