Question

Permanent-Rush

christ, why are you guys being mean to a 15 year old girl. chill out.

:goodone:

Have to agree. It's easy on a Rush fan board to read such a question from a self-proclaimed Rush fan and assume that person is trolling or stupid. But look into things a bit before passing judgement -- she's only 15 and joined the board only six months ago. It's entirely possible she hasn't read anything about how intensely private Neil is. All she knows is she loves his drumming. Maybe educate her without being mean about it.

I do not know how private he is.

Thank you 73.

You certainly do now, right?

I do now.

:Neil: :heart:

• Like 3

Have to agree. It's easy on a Rush fan board to read such a question from a self-proclaimed Rush fan and assume that person is trolling or stupid. But look into things a bit before passing judgement -- she's only 15 and joined the board only six months ago. It's entirely possible she hasn't read anything about how intensely private Neil is. All she knows is she loves his drumming. Maybe educate her without being mean about it.

I do not know how private he is.

Thank you 73.

Neil is not your typical celeb. None of the guys are, but Neil is an exception. To seek someone out like that and put them on a pedestal as an idol creeps him out. In his mind, it is okay to admire someone for their skills and to point that out, but to do so in a way that isn't empty gushing ("you're the greatest!"), but rather complimentary and maybe even a little critical. Honest praise. He never wanted to be famous as a celebrity, but rather a really good drummer. Some people find this quirk makes Neil a douchebag. Others see it as a form of social anxiety, or maybe just a desire to hang on to some sense of being a normal guy. It can be hard in our culture of Kardashians and Paris Hiltons to understand there are famous people who consider what they do "just a job" that they happen to really love and gets them lots of money and attention.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 4

Let him be.

Always good advice. I don't think there's a celebrity out there who wants a fan seeking them out and jumping up and down and squealing. Hell, even Bieber hates screaming fans now.

50% of the major party candidates for the 2016 President of the United States election would disagree with this assumption. :D

How does that grab you?

Not that I want to get into a political discussion outside of SOCN, but politicians are a different breed of cat. I would say presidential candidates by default like the attention -- why else would they hold rallies in their name and give out signs with their names on them for people to hold up in front of TV cameras?

I was referring to the 50% who is a celebrity, not the 50% who is a career politician. ;)

No political discussion sought; I just wandered out of SOCN temporarily anyway. :D

15 years old, 6 months on board and, 23K+ posts? I respectfully note that those seem to be significant numbers. Quite possibly there are Circumstances accounting for that, so again I respectfully state that I'm only commenting, not passing judgement. But I do wonder if Cygnus, the God of Balance might think so too? In any event, this is moderating at it's best, 73.

• Like 1

Of all the guys you could've said that you wanted to meet, Neil is the least likely to look kindly on meeting fans. It's a big reason he didn't do meet and greets. It's why you rarely see interviews with him and the other guys. He's just not comfortable with fame or with the large majority of fans. He's also very suspicious of people trying to get to know him, or people knowing who he is because let's face it, there are some creepy fans out there. If you're as big of a fan as you say, you should do yourself a favor and read his books. Get his drum videos and study them. Work hard at your drumming. That's how you can get to know him. The real him.
  • Like 3

Of all the guys you could've said that you wanted to meet, Neil is the least likely to look kindly on meeting fans. It's a big reason he didn't do meet and greets. It's why you rarely see interviews with him and the other guys. He's just not comfortable with fame or with the large majority of fans. He's also very suspicious of people trying to get to know him, or people knowing who he is because let's face it, there are some creepy fans out there. If you're as big of a fan as you say, you should do yourself a favor and read his books. Get his drum videos and study them. Work hard at your drumming. That's how you can get to know him. The real him.

I agree, for such a private guy he is probably the most open of the three, in the sense that he writes his books, his blog, and his song lyrics, and in the few interviews he does, he is extremely long-winded and talkative! Back in the day, I think he even wrote articles at times for Modern Drummer magazine. So yea, EagleMoon has a point. I would also suggest seeing Beyond the Lighted Stage.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

I agree, for such a private guy he is probably the most open of the three, in the sense that he writes his books, his blog, and his song lyrics, and in the few interviews he does, he is extremely long-winded and talkative! Back in the day, I think he even wrote articles at times for Modern Drummer magazine. So yea, EagleMoon has a point. I would also suggest seeing Beyond the Lighted Stage.

Yes we actually know more about Neil's life than we know about the other two guys together. He's fine exposing his inner self if he is the one that's doing it and in the manner that he chooses. He just doesn't feel comfortable when other people force themselves on him.

• Like 1

I guess I assumed that someone who has made over 23K posts on this board had read enough posts here not to ask this question seriously. I apologise for accusing you of trolling, GNP.

When you want information about Rush things, why don't you try looking for old threads? There's a wealth of information here on this board, and it can be a lot of fun finding it!

• Like 3

It's like people who say "I love the people on Seinfeld, they would be awesome to hang out with"

Um, Do you watch the show?

Those 4 people alienate, hate, take advantage of and cause problems for every single person they meet.

It's also a TV show but how they conduct themselves are people we have all had in our lives briefly at some point

Or ARE we them??? Hmm........... :eh: :coy:

For the record, I wasn't trying to be mean. I was trying to let her know that hers was a very bad idea. I assumed that as a big fan she knew at least something about Neil, and that he does not like this kind of thing.

• Like 2

15 years old, 6 months on board and, 23K+ posts? I respectfully note that those seem to be significant numbers. Quite possibly there are Circumstances accounting for that, so again I respectfully state that I'm only commenting, not passing judgement. But I do wonder if Cygnus, the God of Balance might think so too? In any event, this is moderating at it's best, 73.

Many of her posts are spam posts in Grand Designs. She wanted to jack up her post count. She's been cutting back on that type of posting lately.

• Like 1

Neil is now more of a people person in retirement. Ask if he'd like to feed birds in the park, play chess, or explain Virtuality...

It's only stalking if the trip requires more than 5-6 hours. Go for it. :ebert:

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 2

For the record, I wasn't trying to be mean. I was trying to let her know that hers was a very bad idea. I assumed that as a big fan she knew at least something about Neil, and that he does not like this kind of thing.

Yeah, I get that. :)
  • Like 1

Don't do it.

You honestly want to go to the home of a guy who is so shy and private that he doesn't even do meet and greets and doesn't show up in public for Rush related things? It won't end well more than likely, maybe a stalking or trespassing charge on you. Also, Neil may have a pretty nice home that you may not be able to easily access anyways. I'm guessing he's probably a gate around the home, security camera kind of guy.

Now, if you happened to run into him in public, that's another thing because it's a chance encounter. But play it cool and just say something like "hey man, huge fan!" and keep on moving. Telling a musician/celebrity you're a big fan of their work is the best compliment you can give them.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I found out recently that I live like 4 or 5 hours away from Neil. I am not sure if I should go bug him or not.

Should I, or No?

He is my idol, and I have always wanted to meet him, but I do not want to go up there and bug him to much.

What do you guys think?

No.

Just leave him alone.

Don't do something that'd just reinforce his opinion of most Rush fans. In other words don't give the rest of us fans a bad name. Especially if you can't guarantee you won't spazz out entirely. Neil hates that.

• Like 3

Now, if you happened to run into him in public, that's another thing because it's a chance encounter. But play it cool and just say something like "hey man, huge fan!" and keep on moving. Telling a musician/celebrity you're a big fan of their work is the best compliment you can give them.

I imagine Peart would (later) THINK it's a compliment but actually FEEL embarrassed by the exchange. I don't want to embarrass anyone really, especially not Peart.

This is not a real question and the OP is not actually a 15 year old girl

We're being trolled

http://s26.postimg.org/amqea2mbd/chrishansen_01.jpg

That narrative is getting really old, and you're one of the few that's still hanging onto it. People here have video chatted with her.

This is not a real question and the OP is not actually a 15 year old girl

We're being trolled

http://s26.postimg.org/amqea2mbd/chrishansen_01.jpg

That narrative is getting really old, and you're one of the few that's still hanging onto it. People here have video chatted with her.

Does Chris Hansen know about that ??