Images vs Scenes  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which album is better?

• Images and Words
    • Scenes from a Memory

They're both bombastic wankery.

That could describe Scenes, but not so much I&W's

Scenes....by a decent margin for me.

I've never heard either of them. I'm a bad progster. Shall I listen now? I'm in a bit of a twisted mood.

Do it!!! I should warn you though, Images & Words is a bit easier to "digest".

Maybe, but Scenes sounds way better sonically.

• Like 1

I don't actually mind the drums on Images. it adds to that whole album's vibe. but that's just me. that whole album has another dimensoial vibe.

Mick

I agree. It feels and sounds like a forward thinking retro metal album

• Like 1

Earl's prayers have been answered: they'll play Images in full and other old songs in their new tour.

After TA.....i'm on board, loll

Mick

SAME!

After TA being played in full though, are they sure they couldn't do two albums and throw in Awake?

• Like 1

Earl's prayers have been answered: they'll play Images in full and other old songs in their new tour.

After TA.....i'm on board, loll

Mick

SAME!

After TA being played in full though, are they sure they couldn't do two albums and throw in Awake?

They did side 2 of Awake.....i the 2nd half in 2014 so may not see that.

maybe side 1 now. lol

Mick

Side 1 has been played to death.

Anyway, they already played Images in full - I think it was on its 15th anniversary. It was a one-off thing though. This new tour, and the fact that attendances of TA's shows were very low, suggest that things are looking strange in DT Camp.

• Like 1

Anyway, they already played Images in full - I think it was on its 15th anniversary. It was a one-off thing though. This new tour, and the fact that attendances of TA's shows were very low, suggest that things are looking strange in DT Camp.

Keep the faith Rod. Every band stumbles. they'll realize that experiment didn't work and re-tune as it were, lol

Mick

I hope so. Considering the circumstances, this was the smartest move they could make from a financial standpoint.

I guess we´ll have to wait and see if LaBrie can pull out the F# note on Learning to Live and the second verse of Take the Time.

• Like 1

I hope so. Considering the circumstances, this was the smartest move they could make from a financial standpoint.

I guess we´ll have to wait and see if LaBrie can pull out the F# note on Learning to Live and the second verse of Take the Time.

to be honest........some might not like to hear this. but They Need to write songs in lower keys now. for james' health.

cause his pipes are going

Mick

They started doing that a while ago. But with the old stuff, I´m not sure if tuning the original stuff down is the best way to go. Labrie has done alternative melodies for the high-range stuff before on certain occasions, and I think he should do it this way now.
  • Like 1

Here´s Images & words live in full, and a hadful of songs from their first album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtS0lzb29cg

The last time they played Take the Time was before Portnoy left, and they took out this awesome section of the song due to the vocals being way too high:

"The unbroken spirit obscured and disquiet

Finds clearness this trial demands

And at the end of this day sighs an anxious relief

For the fortune lies still in his hands

If there's a pensive fear, a wasted year

A man must learn to cope

If his obsession's real

Suppression that he feels must turn to hope"

Reading this made me realize how awesome Kevin More´s lyrics were.

Keep the faith Rod. Every band stumbles. they'll realize that experiment didn't work and re-tune as it were, lol

Mick

Exactly! This band have had a couple of hiccups and they rise above it.

I still think they should ditch the Broadway sensibilities. I think they crept up around the self-titled...leave that to Styx (who don't do it well anyway) and get back to being MEH-TAL!

• Like 1

Mick

Exactly! This band have had a couple of hiccups and they rise above it.

I still think they should ditch the Broadway sensibilities. I think they crept up around the self-titled...leave that to Styx (who don't do it well anyway) and get back to being MEH-TAL!

I think Deyoung ghost wrote TA personally.

it has his smelly cheesy fingerprints all over it, lol

I LOVE the self-titled but feel they need to re-fresh the direction big time now.

leave concepts to The other mike.....who oddly knew his shit concepts wise.......i don't know if he came up with them by himself but the concepts were better with him at least.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

He did come up with the Octavarium thing on his own. I´m not too sure about Scenes though, but it looks that way.

guy knows his concepts then because both are great works.

now if he had the attitude to match......but i digress, lol

Mick