Jump to content


Muhammad Ali Dies


  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

RIP.

Sponsored Post

#42 Tony R

Tony R

    Prog Archivist

  • Members *
  • 18469 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Close To The Edge
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:30 AM

The inscription that will be in Ali's headstone:


“I tried to love somebody. I did try to feed the hungry."

"I did try, in my life, to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity”

A MLK quote.

#43 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

    Hail the mighty Lag!

  • Members *
  • 10855 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your colon
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:15 AM

Loved the man, ever since the Rumble. I have a 7" of "In Zaire" by Johnny Wakelin somewhere, grim listening now, but then, wow! Come on, I was 5. I was allowed up one night to listen to the first Spinks fight. I was heartbroken, I'd read so much about him up to that point I thought he was invincible.

Regarding the Rumble in the Jungle, Mailer's book "The Fight" & the doc "When We Were Kings" are the best of their kind.

RIP, The Greatest.

#44 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 20096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 07 June 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

Loved the man, ever since the Rumble. I have a 7" of "In Zaire" by Johnny Wakelin somewhere, grim listening now, but then, wow! Come on, I was 5. I was allowed up one night to listen to the first Spinks fight. I was heartbroken, I'd read so much about him up to that point I thought he was invincible.

Regarding the Rumble in the Jungle, Mailer's book "The Fight" & the doc "When We Were Kings" are the best of their kind.

RIP, The Greatest.
I was eight and watched the fight with my Dad.  It was one of three times I cried over sports.

#45 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostTony R, on 07 June 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

The inscription that will be in Ali's headstone:


“I tried to love somebody. I did try to feed the hungry."

"I did try, in my life, to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity”

A MLK quote.

If that is true that quote is simply beautiful just like the man.....he was The Greatest.

#46 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 18226 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

View Postg under p, on 04 June 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

That image got to me.....males me wonder what RWilliams was thinking taking that picture.
I am not one to get overly sentimental, especially when it comes to people I don't actually know but this picture choked me up a bit.

#47 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 20096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

View Postthesweetscience, on 07 June 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

View Postg under p, on 04 June 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

That image got to me.....males me wonder what RWilliams was thinking taking that picture.
I am not one to get overly sentimental, especially when it comes to people I don't actually know but this picture choked me up a bit.
The look in Robin's eyes makes the photo bittersweet.

#48 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 9047 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

Here in Louisville this is a HUGE deal. Ali came home on a regular basis and just walked around like anyone else and is more than beloved and revered here. The procession for him Friday will be essentially a citywide holiday.

#49 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

http://www.mirror.co...ughters-8116602

Ali's heart was so strong it refused to stop, daughter Hana said

Muhammad Ali’s heart kept beating for 30 minutes after he died in hospital, his family revealed last night.

Even though the boxing legend’s major organs had failed, his heart was so strong it refused to stop, daughter Hana said.

In a moving tweet she said: “All of us were around him hugging and kissing him and holding his hands, chanting the Islamic prayer.

“All of his organs failed but his HEART wouldn’t stop heating. For 30 minutes... his heart just keep beating.

“No one had ever seen anything like it. A true testament to the strength of his Spirit and Will!”

Hana added: “We are so happy daddy is free now. We all tried to stay strong and whispered in his ear, ‘You can go now. We will be OK. We love love. Thank you.

Edited by g under p, 08 June 2016 - 10:34 AM.


#50 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 20096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 08 June 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Here in Louisville this is a HUGE deal. Ali came home on a regular basis and just walked around like anyone else and is more than beloved and revered here. The procession for him Friday will be essentially a citywide holiday.
I can only imagine.  Now that's a hell of a home town hero!

#51 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 31093 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

Didn't Will Smith win an Oscar for playing Ali in a biopic??? I might have to stream that.

#52 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 08 June 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Didn't Will Smith win an Oscar for playing Ali in a biopic??? I might have to stream that.

Only nominated but lost out to someone else.

#53 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 18226 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 08 June 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Didn't Will Smith win an Oscar for playing Ali in a biopic??? I might have to stream that.
He did a pretty good job.  I think the movie would have been more popular had it come out a hundred years from now.  People remember the real Ali and those are shoes even Will Smith couldn't fill.  

Still its well worth a watch.

#54 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

Watching the procession....Goodbye To The Greatest

#55 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4959 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:02 AM

Cartoon in the New Yorker:

Posted Image

New Butterfly Discovery-
Monarch Stingingus-Greaticus


#56 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3215 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Guitar World
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:35 PM

He just reminds me of when I lived at home with my parents.  He was a hero of my father.  Someone he tried to emulate.  I also think Will should've won that Oscar.

Edited by Boots, 18 June 2016 - 03:35 PM.


#57 greyfriar

greyfriar

    River Rhine BurgerMeister

  • Members
  • 9392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rheinsheim
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

:bump:
Make sure to watch the whole thing, it'll make you smile...  :lol:

R.I.P. Champ!

#58 Syrinx

Syrinx

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2321 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

That was spectacular greyfriar! Thanks for posting that.  I smiled through the whole show.  I am a big fan of Ali.  just finished reading an extensive biography.  There will never be another like him!

#59 Derek19

Derek19

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1141 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Comox, B.C.
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 25 July 2019 - 12:35 PM

Since he passed away only a little over three years ago, it's hard to believe that a great legend is gone.  R.I.P., Muhammad.

#60 greyfriar

greyfriar

    River Rhine BurgerMeister

  • Members
  • 9392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rheinsheim
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:10 AM

View PostSyrinx, on 24 July 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

That was spectacular greyfriar! Thanks for posting that.  I smiled through the whole show.  I am a big fan of Ali.  just finished reading an extensive biography.  There will never be another like him!
You're welcome Syrinx!
The Ali episode of the show is absolutely brilliant. I watched it three times at one stretch when I first discovered it. Love his reactions and all the facial expressions. Priceless moments!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users