Metallica VS Megadeth

Union 5-3992

Metallica VS Megadeth  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

Metallica by miles. Can't stand Mustaine's whiny vocals and Elementary school lyrics.

What lyrics would those be?

Right on...which lyrics? Mustaine takes on some issues and controversial subjects. I respect that a ton.

It's all a matter of taste. No matter how technically good the music is in parts, these always seemed cheesy to me (coupled with the even cheesier vocals):

Just like the Pied Piper

Led rats through the streets

We dance like marionettes

Swaying to the Symphony...

Of Destruction

I see nothing cheesy about those lyrics. Mustaine has written much worse than that.

• Like 1

Metallica by miles. Can't stand Mustaine's whiny vocals and Elementary school lyrics.

What lyrics would those be?

Right on...which lyrics? Mustaine takes on some issues and controversial subjects. I respect that a ton.

It's all a matter of taste. No matter how technically good the music is in parts, these always seemed cheesy to me (coupled with the even cheesier vocals):

Just like the Pied Piper

Led rats through the streets

We dance like marionettes

Swaying to the Symphony...

Of Destruction

I see nothing cheesy about those lyrics. Mustaine has written much worse than that.

As I said, "it's all a matter of taste".

The vocals are worse than the lyrics ((see my last post)) and I don't like the lyrics whatsoever so that's pretty much it.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of lyrics, James Hetefield's aren't exactly high art either. But just like Megadeth it usually fits in fine with the proper music and vocal delivery.

Yeah his lyrics are no gems either BUT his vocals aren't annoying to me. And I do like 80s Metallica music much more than any Megadeth stuff

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of lyrics, James Hetefield's aren't exactly high art either. But just like Megadeth it usually fits in fine with the proper music and vocal delivery.

I do like 80s Metallica music much more than any Megadeth stuff

A great era for both. Mustaine's voice is an acquired taste. Live, his voice has made dramatic changes for the better as he's gotten older.

Music wise, Metallica finally came back home with Death Magnetic. Still, You need to listen to Rust in Peace. It'll reattach your balls Johnny.

Seriously,have you truly absorbed that album? If you love drums, listen to it for that alone.

I do like 80s Metallica music much more than any Megadeth stuff

A great era for both. Mustaine's voice is an acquired taste. Live, his voice has made dramatic changes for the better as he's gotten older.

Music wise, Metallica finally came back home with Death Magnetic. Still, You need to listen to Rust in Peace. It'll reattach your balls Johnny.

Seriously,have you truly absorbed that album? If you love drums, listen to it for that alone.

"Reattach my balls"? If anything, it sounds like Mustaine's nuts are in a vise and he's gritting his teeth as he's delivering many of those lyrics.

In those days, one of my closest friends liked Megadeth and Metallica so when I was in his car it was usually one of those bands. Given the time frame (late 80s-early 90s, right?), I probably DID listen to Rust in Peace more than any other of their other albums. And it was a f***ing LOT!

When he was in my car it was Rush or Living Colour. He didn't like much of Rush (other than 2112 and By-Tor) and I didn't like much of Megadeth so the happy mediums were Metallica, Living Colour, Jane's Addiction, and the like.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Aw, I was hoping Johnny would vote Megadeth just because Dave wrote songs about The Punisher and Deathlok. :LOL:

:LOL:

Coincidentally, my cousin in the Philippines owns a shipbuilding company named "Metallica". You can almost definitely find it if you do a search for "Metallica Shipyard Aklan/New Washingon". I should ask him if, by chance, he has any Punisher or Deathlok gear. :blaze:

• Like 2

Aw, I was hoping Johnny would vote Megadeth just because Dave wrote songs about The Punisher and Deathlok. :LOL:

Coincidentally, my cousin in the Philippines owns a shipbuilding company named "Metallica". You can almost definitely find it if you do a search for "Metallica Shipyard Aklan/New Washingon". I should ask him if, by chance, he has any Punisher or Deathlok gear. :blaze:

I just found it on google.

Cool. Is my cousin wearing a Punisher or Deathlok t-shirt? ;)

• Like 1

Cool. Is my cousin wearing a Punisher or Deathlok t-shirt? ;)

Unfortunately not. :(

Hm...well, as I have just gotten into thrash and metal, and as I am just beginning to get into each of the big four, I am starting to filter what I like better than what.

That said, it's becoming apparent to me that my favorite of big four will likely be either Anthrax or Megadeth, with Metallica not far behind, and Slayer just not really being my taste (though not bad).

So Megadeth.

• Like 1

Hm...well, as I have just gotten into thrash and metal, and as I am just beginning to get into each of the big four, I am starting to filter what I like better than what.

That said, it's becoming apparent to me that my favorite of big four will likely be either Anthrax or Megadeth, with Metallica not far behind, and Slayer just not really being my taste (though not bad).

So Megadeth.

Have you given Testament a try yet?

So Megadeth.

Not yet, what do you recommend by them?

So Megadeth.

I'm gonna go in the complete opposite direction of what most would probably say and recommend Dark Roots Of Earth.

Newer, more aggressive Testament is the best Testament.

• Like 1

So Megadeth.

I'm gonna go in the complete opposite direction of what most would probably say and recommend Dark Roots Of Earth.

Yes!

So Megadeth.

Yes!

J2112YYZ: "I'm gonna go the complete opposite direction of what most would probably say..."

Segue Myles: "Yes!"

Me: Why am I not surprised, lol.

Anyway, neat, I'll check it out soon.

• Like 1

Metallica - not even close.

Don't get me wrong, I own, and really like, some Megadeth albums. However, back in the day, I loved Metallica (including Justice). I dropped off with the Black album, though I can appreciate where they were trying to go (horrible St Anger and all). I feel that last two albums have been somewhat re-invigorating.

Also, for me, one measure of a band is how much of a team effort they are. When I think of Rush, I hear three amazing musical personalities complimenting each other. When Ged did his solo album, it was very interesting and cool, but it most certainly was not Rush. Now, with Metallica, they have had a couple bass players (RIP Cliff), but I believe they have successfully re-inverted themselves. Today, Metallica is made up of very distinct musical personalities that continue to compliment each other and define the Metallica sound. As for Megadeth, who is even in the band now??!? Ellefson left and came back, so many other guitarists, drummers, I couldn't name them all! This is not a sign of a successful band. Mustaine has been successful because of his talent and drive, and Megadeth is his brand, but he has not built a successful band.

• Like 4