Power Windows or Hold Your Fire or Presto

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: Power Windows or Hold Your Fire or Presto (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Which album do you like the best?

1. Power Windows (45 votes [54.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.88%

2. Hold Your Fire (25 votes [30.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.49%

3. Presto (12 votes [14.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3925 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

While we're rating…

Power Windows: 9.1
Hold Your Fire: 8.8
Presto: 8.2

Sponsored Post

#42 waluigithewalrus

waluigithewalrus

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl Records, Formula 1, and Indycar!

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

This is one that I just don't think is close. Power Windows is awesome, while the other two have great moments, but have some definitely questionable parts *coughTaiShancough*. So Power Windows get the vote.

#43 Freddy Lee

Freddy Lee

The Professor

• Members
  • 3063 posts
  • Interests:ℱԻ€ḓḓẙ ₤ℯℯ

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostDisk98, on 10 February 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 10 February 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Power Windows Wins the Gold
Hold Your Fire the Silver
and Presto.....wait what does 6th place get??
A piece of aluminum foil?
A hardy handshake? ( and I voted Presto, thank you very much )

#44 driven_to_xanadu

driven_to_xanadu

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Rush,History, Progressive Rock, Movies, Football, Long Distance Cycling, Travelling, Reading, Science Fiction, Ice Hockey, Fitness

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:06 PM

Power Windows for me. Probably my favorite Rush album after Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures.

HYF is good, I enjoy most songs but it isn't a top Rush album.

Presto is the same, plenty of good songs but I'm just not able to place it in my mind as a top tier Rush album.

#45 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:15 PM

This is tough.

Power Windows has the highest highs and the lowest lows (the second side of the album is brutal).  HYF is probably the most consistent, but it's best doesn't compete with the other two.  Presto is a nice break from the other two, but it is uneven...less so than PoW but more so than HYF.  But this is like picking the valedictorian at summer school.  There are high points, but these are 3 of Rush's 6 worst albums.

#46 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:58 PM

View PostGolden Freddy, on 10 February 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

View PostDisk98, on 10 February 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 10 February 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Power Windows Wins the Gold
Hold Your Fire the Silver
and Presto.....wait what does 6th place get??
A piece of aluminum foil?
A hardy handshake? ( and I voted Presto, thank you very much )

And a laurel.

#47 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:20 AM

Between Presto and Power Windows for me.  Went with Presto, as the songs are more personal to me.

#48 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

View PostLedRush, on 10 February 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

But this is like picking the valedictorian at summer school.
:lol:

#49 AstrosJake

AstrosJake

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:diehard Astros, Blackhawks, Bears, Jeff Gordon, and Illini fan, civil engineering student

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:38 AM

Hold Your Fire and Power Windows are my two favorite Rush albums. of course I love the old stuff and the hits on Moving Pictures, but these two are the ones I break out most often.

I voted for Hold Your Fire but it's really close. Really the only song I'll skip if it comes on is Tai Shan. Lock and Key is okay, High Water is solid, but all the other songs are GOOD. This might be Neil's best album lyrically.

On Power Windows, I'm not a fan of Mystic Rhythms, and Territories is okay, but the rest are really really good songs.

Some of the most overlooked Rush songs are off of these two albums.

And for Presto, there's a good group of fantastic songs (Presto, The Pass, Chain Lightning, Show Don't Tell), but there's also a lot of filler songs that are a bunch of goop, like Superconductor and Hand Over Fist

#50 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:28 AM

View PostLorraine, on 10 February 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

View Postbathory, on 10 February 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 February 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

View Postbathory, on 10 February 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 February 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 10 February 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 February 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

I think Power Windows is awful.

Hold Your Fire is so-so.

Presto gets my vote on account of only two strong songs.

Well the diva's spoken we're done, lol

Hail Lorraine :D

Mick
That was very unfair of you, Mick, to say that.

:eyeroll:

Coming from you, Bathory, that is definitely rich.

I am very offended.

Don't ever bullshit a bullshitter.

Did someone call me?

*cough*

Power Windows by a mile. It wins the Marathon, if you will.

#51 driven_to_xanadu

driven_to_xanadu

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Rush,History, Progressive Rock, Movies, Football, Long Distance Cycling, Travelling, Reading, Science Fiction, Ice Hockey, Fitness

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostLedRush, on 10 February 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

This is tough.

Power Windows has the highest highs and the lowest lows (the second side of the album is brutal).  HYF is probably the most consistent, but it's best doesn't compete with the other two.  Presto is a nice break from the other two, but it is uneven...less so than PoW but more so than HYF.  But this is like picking the valedictorian at summer school.  There are high points, but these are 3 of Rush's 6 worst albums.

Hmm interesting, the second side is what makes the album for me :unsure:

Emotion Detector and Middletown Dreams.....so much win.

#52 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7034 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

Power Windows by far. I like about half of Hold Your Fire and only two songs on Presto.

#53 greg2112

greg2112

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2915 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:29 AM

Song for song, Hold Your Fire, no doubt.  

Think Power Windows is very overrated round these parts.  I like 4/8 songs.

Presto is an enjoyable listen, but its not on the level of their earlier work, a notch down, imo.

#54 gudbuytjane

gudbuytjane

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:0111000001101001011110100111101001100001

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:16 AM

Power Windows by far for me, and even more so since seeing some of the songs live on the last tour. Still, over the years I've developed more love for Hold Your Fire than I had when it came out. Presto is probably near my low-point of interest in the band, and among my least-played albums.

#55 pip65

pip65

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • Interests:Walking, reading, knitting, choral singing and, of course, RUSH.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:55 AM

Definitely Power Windows. Hold Your Fire is very mixed- some good, some I think they would have done better to have missed out. Presto I quite like but there is nothing I really love or really hate on it. PoW, however,  is strong throughout and I particularly like Territories, Middletown Dreams and Mystic Rhythms.

#56 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

View Postpip65, on 11 February 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

Definitely Power Windows. Hold Your Fire is very mixed- some good, some I think they would have done better to have missed out. Presto I quite like but there is nothing I really love or really hate on it. PoW, however,  is strong throughout and I particularly like Territories, Middletown Dreams and Mystic Rhythms.

Those are the three songs which I think rival the band's worst output.  Territories could be their worst song if Counterparts weren't around.

#57 Drummerrobin

Drummerrobin

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

Hold Your Fire's my favourite of the three. Also love Power Windows. Presto, while still having some great songs on it, just isn't in the same league as the other two (or any of the other 80s Rush) albums imo. I blame a lot of that on Rupert Hine's production.

#58 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Power Windows
Hold Your Fire

Presto

#59 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostDrummerrobin, on 11 February 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

Hold Your Fire's my favourite of the three. Also love Power Windows. Presto, while still having some great songs on it, just isn't in the same league as the other two (or any of the other 80s Rush) albums imo. I blame a lot of that on Rupert Hine's production.

I just think the quality of the songs were the biggest culprit. Don't get me wrong. Presto is a good album. But in the cannon of Rush it is way down the list for me personally. The production while soft and thin gives Presto it's unique character. The thing I love about Rush and what has always kept them so interesting is the different productions we have gotten over the course of their career. I am glad they broke away from Terry Brown. Because we never would have had Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows or Hold Your Fire which for me were such monumental accomplishments for this band.

Think about it for a second. Power Windows came 4 short years after Moving Pictures. Talk about a 180 and pushing the envelope. That is what made Rush, Rush for me in the big picture. Always moving forward. And it came full circle with Roll The Bones where they blended the pop rock I think Geddy was going for but getting crunchy guitars back for Alex. Then they reached back on Counterparts and returned to their power trio roots and have been doing that since.

Presto is a unique Rush album in that it was far more organic than anything since Signals and piano and backing vocals were introduced in a big way. I also loved Neils drums on Presto and Roll The Bones. Really crisp with ton's of snap and pop. Just different. I have been in a 90's Rush mood the past 2 weeks and have been listening to the Atlantic sessions in order on my morning drive. I am just about finished with Roll The Bones and popping in Counterparts for the first time in a long while.

But overall Presto was a soft unassuming record with some great high points, but overall an uneven and seemingly some unfinished ideas. It has some low lights for me in Superconductor and Anagram. Both those songs are duds in my book and it was the first time I ever really had some disdain for songs by Rush since Rivendell and Madrigal (utter crap).

Anyway.

#60 LocalsBandGuy

LocalsBandGuy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

Power Windows by far.................................but if Presto was recorded like Counterparts...............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users