Favorite releases of 2014/What are you looking forward to?

adace1

2014 has been an extremely quiet year of music for me at least for the first half.

Upcoming:

Hypnotic Eye - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (COMES OUT TOMORROW!)

New Foo Fighters album

Any more details on Endless River from Pink Floyd

Edited by BowlCity

This year has mostly been spent becoming better acquainted with Rush. I have enjoyed a lot of my old favourites, and exploring bands of my school years I never had time to explore.

Two albums of this year stand out for very different reasons:

Lacuna Coil's Broken Crown Halo: A real masterpiece, one of the bands best albums! Every track is a winner, and I love the aggressive vocals of Andrea Ferro, whilst the surprisingly harder edged vocals of Cristina really taking me aback...solidified their status as my favourite band once again!

Bruce Springsteen's High Hopes sucked balls, basically. Between his increasingly preachy lyrics, pathetic use of foul language and absolutely mediocre material such as this being, I have to remind myself why it is I fell in love with his music in the first place! His worst album to date.

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed the latest Mastodon, Chevelle and Coldplay. But none of these albums were earth shatteringly great.

The new Yes album Heaven and Earth was actually not a bad album....

...said no one ever. I haven't listened to a single note from it, but the general opinion is that it's worse than s**t. On a serious note, I really enjoyed the new Mastodon album. Like it more than The Hunter to be honest.

Edited by PolarizeMe

So far....

Beck - Morning Phase

Drive-By Truckers - English Oceans

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Wig Out At Jagbags

Jack White - Lazaretto

Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate

At this point, my favorites are:

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

St. Vincent - St. Vincent

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence

Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

Swans - To Be Kind

I also really dug Jack White, Overkill, Foxes, Against Me!, Chevelle, and Young the Giant.

Albums I've hated:

Boston - Life, Love, & Hope

Yes - Heaven & Earth

• Like 1

Neil Young - A Letter Home

I finally gave this a spin and after initially being put-off by the lo-fi quality, it eventually became, in a way, compelling. It's almost like eavesdropping. Neil's messages to his mother are very touching.

Neil Young - A Letter Home

I finally gave this a spin and after initially being put-off by the lo-fi quality, it eventually became, in a way, compelling. It's almost like eavesdropping. Neil's messages to his mother are very touching.

Those were my favorite parts. He sounded like an excited kid. I greatly enjoyed the lo-fi sound, it gave the album personality.

Today I just discovered "Casualties of Cool." Wow.

Would this be the first time you've heard any of Devin Townsend's work by any chance?

Not exactly.

I've only dabbled. Every year I make an effort to listen to as much music as I possibly can. It has opened me up to a lot of amazing things, so it's a project I continue to take on.

In this project, I've listened to Epicloud, which I didn't like. I know people who swear by Devin and a lot of his stuff, but at least on Epicloud I didn't really "get" it. I was blown away with Casualties of Cool. Suffice it to say, my opinion on him is quite mixed which would make me indifferent.

• Like 2

In this project, I've listened to Epicloud, which I didn't like.

Devin's really all over the place musically. At least with the original four Devin Townsend Project albums, musically, they were different and had a distinct style. Ki had a dark and ominous vibe but sounded quite chill. Addicted was pop metal. Deconstruction was most extreme and heaviest sounding album and considering the name of the album, quite chaotic in nature, whereas the last of the four, Ghost was very ambient, mellow and pretty sounding.

I can see where you're coming from with Epicloud though. Epicloud's my least favorite of the Devin Townsend Project albums (and is not even in canon with the other 4 albums conceptually speaking). I mean I like it to an extent, but it was going for the sound that was heard on Addicted, which to be honest, was the better album in my opinion. If you liked Casualties, you might like Ki and/or Ghost cause the album was kind of a hybrid between the two.

• Like 2

Favorites this year

Avey Tare' Slasher Flicks-Enter the Slasher House

Owl City-Ultraviolet

Weird Al-Mandatory Fun

Looking forward to

Panda Bear-Panda Bear meets the Grim Reaper

They Might Be Giants (Unknown title)

Owl City (More EP's on the way)

I need to listen to more Devin Townsend
  • Like 2

I need to listen to more Devin Townsend

You do

Indeed.

Well I have never been disappointed by anything he has written or produced, judging by what I have heard so far.

And Epicloud was a fantastic pop metal experience! Deconstruction is mindblowing...and that ambient album he did is beautiful...whatever its called haha

...and that ambient album he did is beautiful...whatever its called haha

Considering you've been name dropping Devin Townsend albums that were under the Devin Townsend Project moniker, I'm gonna guess that ambient album you listened to was Ghost. And yes it is indeed a beautiful album.

• Like 1

My Brightest Diamond has a new album coming out, and that has me excited. I'm also looking forward to the new Opeth. As far as 2013 releases, I really enjoyed Arcade Fire's Reflektor and Steven Wilson's The Raven Who Refused to Sing and Other Stories.