Grace Under Pressure - Then and Now

clem

As someone who is old enough to remember when this album came out, it always surprises me how many fans nowadays love this album. I surprised because when this album came out back in 1984, most Rush fans hated it.

I mean really hated it.

I’m thinking a lot of the initial distaste for this record was because it was so radically different than anything they had ever done before. I honestly can’t think of any record that they've ever put out that was so dissimilar to its predecessor.

Here are just some of my observations about Grace Under Pressure:

This was their first “eighties” album. Please note that I put the word “eighties” in quotation marks. I KNOW it wasn't their first album they RELEASED in the eighties (it was their fourth, I think), but it was their first album that had such obvious trademarks of what people remember about the decade in terms of music.

They had really short haircuts. Almost (gulp) new wave-ish!

On the credits, Neil plays something called “electronic percussion”.

They made a lot of flashy music videos with bright colors and lasers.

There were even a couple of dance-able tracks (the two “red” songs).

It was their first record to feature a new producer

It was the first tour to feature a new image on the bass drum (not to mention the kit rotated and everything).

I’m just thinking that all of these changes (and, yes, some were quite trivial) were just a bit too much for your average Rush fan back in the day. We missed the long hair, the kimonos, the sullen, stoned looks, and the 15-20 minute prog epics. We just weren't sure what to think with all of this new weirdness.

Well, time went on, and eighties music wasn't so “new” anymore. After Rush got done playing with synthesizers, they kind of went back to the basic sounds albeit minus the epics. They endured longer than most of their counterparts (pun partially intended), and now fans can look back on that album and say, “You know, that album actually is pretty good!”

Just a theory of mine. I distinctly remember a conversation I had with a co-worker back in ’84:

Me: Are you going to the Rush concert?

Him: (disgustingly) Don’t they have a song out now that goes something like one, zero, zero, one, zero, zero?

Me: Yep. That would be The Body Electric.

Him: (still disgusted) Naw, I ain’t going. It sounds like those guys are in a bit of a slump.

For those of you that were around, what were/are your thoughts?

Discuss

Clem

• Like 5

I wasn't around but......It is to me the weakest of the 80's albums. There's a Police like vibe which run through a lot of the songs. and I hate The police.

There's only 3 songs I enjoy.

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Between the Wheels

Yes i know....I'm missing red Sector A. i'm sick of that Song

The album not my cup of tea.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I was 14. My first "new" release by them. Loved it then. Love it now. It's such a major part of my life's soundtrack from 84-90 that I'll never tire of it. Those stupid ass, rock hard Simmons pads still sound cool to me.

I still consider Afterimage one of their better "short form" songs ever.

• Like 4

I got into rush after PoW. At the time, I wasn't a big fan of that album (I am now, so I see how you felt). My first concert video was the GuP Tour. I wore that thing out. Hence, I really liked the album. I also had Through the Camera Eye - see where this is going?

I'm much more into Kid Gloves, The Body Electric, Red Lenses and The Ememy Within, than the "hits" off the album.

At the time, I really wished they would go back to the "classic" sound, but I still really like these albums. They are really good albums, just different.

I got into Rush through the hard rock seventies era. When I first heard GuP I was confused. When I first heard Signals after this I was conrused. When I next heard PoW I was disgusted. Then I went back to the seventies era and CA and gradually felt like I needed more so I gave the synth era another go.

So...I quickly grew to love GuP. It is a solid favourite, and I truly love how cold it feels. It has an icy chill that drives me crazy! The first three tracks are the best, with Distant Early Warning being one of my favourites.

I now greatly enjoy Signals, for me that was the first truly eighties Rush album.

Power Windows? Good grief, I hated this. But after I enjoyed HYF more than I expected, I went back to this and after a while it all clicked and now I practically worship it! Marathon, Grand Designs, Mystic Rhythms...I think I may even prefer this over Moving Pictures (time will tell...).

But GuP is a startling album. If they renamed the band I would never for one minute have thought "hey, this band sounds like Rush".

Perfect album...truly beautiful. And the art work is possibly my favourite of this band.

• Like 2

It's funny that an album which is considered part of the 'synth era' has so many amazing guitar solos.. not to mention some MASSIVE guitar riffs.

Context greatly changes perception.

P.S. next person who calls this album "GUP" gets his or hers premium ticket privledges revoked.

It's P/g!

• Like 4

Well I was not around at the time it came out, but I remember as I worked my way through Gold (I was only 14 at the time, so I was still picking tracks song by song rather than listening to the album through at that age, though moving pictures broke me from that habit two months later), Grace Under Pressure always seemed like the album to avoid. The album cover looked pretentious, had not read great things about it online compared to their other albums (in terms of initial reaction), and the ways the songs started did not interest me enough. Eventually I grew to love Distant early warning, Red Sector A became enjoyable enough, and when I saw The Enemy Within Video I immediately loved that, but The Body Electric did (and still does) not do any thing for me. When I got the album, I did really enjoy Tracks 6-8 along with tracks 1 and 4 and had the disc play quite constantly for a good two weeks, before Power Windows came into the picture. Now, it is my least favorite of the synth era, but still gets the #9 spot on my albums because those five songs are so strong. Also if I was around when it came out, I would have accepted the changes with open arms. I am not a huge fan of the 70s in general, and would have been all over new wave stuff.

I was obviously around when it was released. I love the album. A very strange thing as I was considering this however.... Truth be told at the time I never really considered the style change, the synth era at all. I just loved Rush music. My problem is, life really started happening after Power Windows. I look at it this way........

74' - 80' Rush- My best friend in the world. A person I would do anything for. Someone I love for lack of a better term.

81' - 85' Rush- A really good friend. I know you well, but on a more casual basis.

86' - 10' Rush- The friend I may have had had things and times been different. We pass by each other and wave and say hello but we never really get to know each other. We might have ended up being friends but I never really gave it the opportunity. I do enjoy Clockwork Angels and it would fall in line with category two. No music or band will ever replace my first love....... :)

• Like 4

I was around when P/G came out and didn't like it then, still don't care for it much now. Between the Wheels is the only really good song off of it IMO. I did like the tour video but only because it had a good version of Vital Signs and an outstanding version of The Weapon. I still can't figure out why they haven't played this song live since 1984. And I am not an '80s hater, I love Power Windows and consider it one of their all time best albums.

I remember not liking it when it came out, and ignoring it for literally decades, only to have fallen head over heels for this album in the past few years. It amazes me that it is now among my most favourite albums by the band. I'd been a diehard "Everything after Subdivisions sucks!" kind of fan for aaaaaages, but over the past couple of years I've grown to become a Rush Universalist (haha, a term I came up with to denote fans who love their entire catalog. I sometimes wonder if the part of my brain that enjoys Rush has mutated or something, because oh I love this band so much).

At the time I just didn't get it. I was actually quite into new wave at the time, but I couldn't make sense of this weird Rush/new wave hybrid. Now I look at it as such an incredibly brave album. Seriously, it is up there with 2112 for gutsy, "we are going to do what we want to do" vision. And I remember people not liking it at the time. Not at all. It was like we'd all been patient through "New World Man" sounding like a Police B-side, but now what the hell was THIS? :) Now I listen to it and it strikes me as so well crafted, and the band is so willing to push itself in a bunch of new directions. I get excited listening to it now, and it's nearly 30 years old.

I love this album so much now that when my friends got me CA tour tickets for my birthday I quickly figured out if I'd get the set with "The Body Electric" or not. Even after deciding I was in line to get it (no offense, "Middletown Dreams") until I heard that first drum pattern I was worried I wouldn't get it. I would have been SO bummed if they'd played "Limelight."

Oh, I wonder if anyone remembers this? I was in grade 9 in Ontario when the album came out, and I remember getting this Rush postcard handed out in highschool that I can't remember what it was for exactly. It had the back cover Yousuf Karsh B&W portrait on it and maybe the egg/caliper thing I think?

• Like 2

I remember not liking it when it came out, and ignoring it for literally decades, only to have fallen head over heels for this album in the past few years. It amazes me that it is now among my most favourite albums by the band. I'd been a diehard "Everything after Subdivisions sucks!" kind of fan for aaaaaages, but over the past couple of years I've grown to become a Rush Universalist (haha, a term I came up with to denote fans who love their entire catalog. I sometimes wonder if the part of my brain that enjoys Rush has mutated or something, because oh I love this band so much).

At the time I just didn't get it. I was actually quite into new wave at the time, but I couldn't make sense of this weird Rush/new wave hybrid. Now I look at it as such an incredibly brave album. Seriously, it is up there with 2112 for gutsy, "we are going to do what we want to do" vision. And I remember people not liking it at the time. Not at all. It was like we'd all been patient through "New World Man" sounding like a Police B-side, but now what the hell was THIS? :) Now I listen to it and it strikes me as so well crafted, and the band is so willing to push itself in a bunch of new directions. I get excited listening to it now, and it's nearly 30 years old.

I love this album so much now that when my friends got me CA tour tickets for my birthday I quickly figured out if I'd get the set with "The Body Electric" or not. Even after deciding I was in line to get it (no offense, "Middletown Dreams") until I heard that first drum pattern I was worried I wouldn't get it. I would have been SO bummed if they'd played "Limelight."

Oh, I wonder if anyone remembers this? I was in grade 9 in Ontario when the album came out, and I remember getting this Rush postcard handed out in highschool that I can't remember what it was for exactly. It had the back cover Yousuf Karsh B&W portrait on it and maybe the egg/caliper thing I think?

Why am I so young? I wish hese were all new releases!

Saying that... maybe not.

But I would love to have a view of these albums with first hand perspective. I enjoyed this post!

• Like 1

Why am I so young? I wish hese were all new releases!

Saying that... maybe not.

But I would love to have a view of these albums with first hand perspective. I enjoyed this post!

Thank you! :) I am glad you enjoyed that!

I do feel lucky for growing up during some of the classic era, I remember my older sisters having Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures when they came out, and I have strong memories of trying to play bass along with Exit... Stage Left when it came out. Also, I grew up in a very Rush-focused place, Hamilton, Ontario. We were the city Neil was born in, halfway between Toronto and St. Catherines, where Neil grew up. With some friends I met Geddy Lee on the street in Toronto when I was 16. I've stood at Danforth and Pape many times. ;) Ideally, as Rush fandom goes, I would have been older than 4 when the first album came out, but I can't really complain. I only wish I'd liked Power Windows more when it came out, because I saw that tour but mostly pouted through newer material, waiting for proggier cuts, haha.

• Like 3

I've never been able to fully embrace Grace. To me, it doesn't seem to strike any evolutionary ground. It sounds like an inferior re-do of Signals. I've read that the band was supposedly trying to "correct" mistakes they made with Signals, but IMO there was nothing broken that needed fixing.

There is a coldness to the sound and the production that is off-putting. I think the fact they had trouble finding a producer kind of shows through it, because I'm not really sure where the band was trying to go with it. I realize Signals is very synth-heavy too, but there is still a warmth to the synths. I don't know if it's the change from the Oberheims to the PPG Waves or what.... this is at a point where analog is being overtaken by digital, and it was kind of an ugly transition in some ways.

The Simmons drums have not aged well at all.

Lyrically it's a little bit weak on the second side. The Body Electric, Kid Gloves, and Red Lenses are all just silly.... especially in the wake of some absolutely emotionally crushing passages found on the first half of the record.

I think the gloom surrounding the writing and recording of the album shows.... it's a very cold and clinical sound record.

Late 1983 / early 1984 was a difficult period in my life.... perhaps the album has an unfairly negative connotation in my eyes due to this coincidence.

It may not be that bad a record on its own merits, but when you put it in context with everything that came before it, Grace seems to represent a point where the band began to decline from its artistic and commercial peak.

• Like 1

I can remember the album being released and it was the last vinyl record that came into my collection. I must have played it twice at most. Not because I hated the music, but I didn't like it and it coincided with me hooking up with the girl that became my wife. I never seemed to get a chance to listen to any qualities that may have been on the record.

Over time I've grown to like the tracks, especially live, which can't be said for anything on Power Windows.

I was in college when it came out and I was pretty dismayed by it. Signals was the beginning of the end of Rush for me, and p/g was just another nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned at the time. I remember reading a magazine interview with Iron Maiden and they were asked to comment specifically on Red Sector A and one of the guys characterized it as "Disco Rush".
  • Like 1

I saw it as being better than Signals (which wasn't really a favorite back when it came out) but still not a good response to PWave and MP...I was looking for part III of that era...and saw that it went into a different direction with the "song" based music as opposed to "epic" music.

I'll have to admit that I liked side TWO better than side one, and thought that Red Lenses was he coolest tune on the album...once Power Windows came out, I ended up liking this album a LOT more, and then when HyF came out I thought they were done, and figured that GuP was their last GOOD album!

Looking back, I still like it better than the next two, I can "take" PWindows a little better now than I could then, and I still don't find myself reaching for HyF to satisfy a Rush craving, where GuP WOULD do it!

• Like 1

I was 14. My first "new" release by them. Loved it then. Love it now. It's such a major part of my life's soundtrack from 84-90 that I'll never tire of it. Those stupid ass, rock hard Simmons pads still sound cool to me.

I still consider Afterimage one of their better "short form" songs ever.

Thanks mate. If you hadn't writtewn that, I would've had to!

To add things: It HAS a Police-like vibe. Which is why it's such a stellar album.

And I'm repeating myself, it offers a number of their best songwriting efforts ever, topped by Red Sector A, which was not only the first Rush song I loved to death (and still do), but a revelation in terms of combining 70s classic rock with the good sides of the 80s. And, in my view, this album, as tough it may have been for Geddy and neil to record, has aged perfectly. It's not that much different from the likewise stellar Signals, but different enough to have a trademark sound of its own. And it has the best side A of any Rush album (apart from Moving Pictures maybe). To be honest, if other albums - great as they are - hads been my introduction to Rush, I might not have dug that deep into them. I'm talking of the 2112 to Hemispheres era. As it was GUP, I had in an instance found my favourite band. The first 30 seconds of Red Sector A did it for me. So, it's my clear No. 1 album by Rush - and, of course their best 80s effort. Rush was a great band in the 80s, really ... Still is ...

Edited by barchetta90480
  • Like 1

GUP was the first Rush album I ever bought, pretty soon after its release. I had kinda-sorta started liking Rush before then, hearing Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, and such on the radio and occasionally on MTV, but after I saw the video for Distant Early Warning I remember turning to my little brother and saying "I'm gonna get that album!" It just sounded cool to me. At this point I was also completely unfamiliar and unaware of anything Rush did before 1981.

So I bought the album and listened to it, but it didn't catch on with me immediately. A couple months later though, it clicked. And from there I started collecting Rush's back catalog and I was on my way...

I never hated the album. What ended up hooking me was its futuristic, dark, sci-fi sound and themes (and the sci-fi flavored videos they did for some of the songs didn't hurt either... I was a little kid in the '70s hooked on the original Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica and stuff) To me, it still sounds the most "futuristic" of all of Rush's albums. Maybe if I had heard the old stuff first, I would have felt differently, but all the old stuff came later for me.

I was 14....rode my bike to the record shop every tuesday for 5 straight weeks asking...."Is the new Rush album out yet?" I remember bringing it home. It was my second official anticipated Rush release (Signals was my first after Moving Pictures sucked me in). The first thing i was a little turned off was the cheap paper sleeve instead of the high quality glossy album sleeves we got from MP and Signals. I also thought the band phot was like a Bar-Mitzvah photo. But man.....when i dropped the needle.....magic.

I love P/G immensely. Essential Rush.

Top 5 tracks

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Red Sector A

The Body Electric

Between The Wheels

Of course the entire album was awesome.....great guitar work. Alex really shines through on this record.

• Like 2