Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album?

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album

1. Yes - every part of the album was started and finished in the 1970s. (35 votes [32.41%])

Percentage of vote: 32.41%

2. Yes - it is more like the prog era music than the synth era music (21 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

3. No - it was released on Jan 1, 1980, and I'm a stickler for details (27 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. No - it is more like the synth era music than the prof era music (25 votes [23.15%])

Percentage of vote: 23.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Topic.

We are discussing this in another thread, so I thought I would open it up to the forum at large, rather than continuing to hijack that thread.

Sponsored Post

#2 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 24836 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

To me, it is and always will be a 1970s album for the two reasons listed above.  Also, for my first couple of years of knowing of Rush, I liked the first 8 albums and not the synth era, and so I always had that grouping in mind.  Also, when the band breaks up the eras, they seem to group PeW in the AFTK-MP group.

#3 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Designed and built for the new decade.

Edited by GeminiRising79, 29 August 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#4 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

for the first time ever I agree with gemini

it was rush trying to mix the old with the new, and they did it damn near flawlessly

#5 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

View Postbathory, on 29 August 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

for the first time ever I agree with gemini

it was rush trying to mix the old with the new, and they did it damn near flawlessly

Yeah, it was a definite nod to the past with a look ahead to the future. Perfection. Just a flawless record  IMO

And this is one of the things that make Rush so great,,,they could adapt. I think a lot of bands from there era had a hard time adapting to the changing sounds and styles of the upcoming 80s.

Edited by Xanadoood, 29 August 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#6 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I remember being somewhat disappointed when PeW came out. I thought the shorter, more radio-friendly songs was a harbinger of bad times to come. I loved the production (though I'm sure I didn't use that word at the time), but it took awhile for me to warm to the songs.

#7 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21776 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I think this album shows their prog side as well as what they became afterwards. It's a great mix of both sides. Great musicianship and great songs. The first half is the more radio friendly stuff then it slides into the more progressive stuff.  Whoever decided the track order on that album was a genius.

#8 Shredder2

Shredder2

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1020 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

I've always considered Permanent Waves to be a '79 album. It wouldn't be fair to call it an 80's album, seeing how it was released on the first day of the decade.

plus, this was right before the synth era TRULY started

#9 HomesickAlien

HomesickAlien

Ye Old Morel Sniffer

• Members *
  • 10507 posts
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

I've never thought of PeW as either a 70's or 80's album. To me, the prog era ended with Hemispheres and the synth era began with Signals. I've always viewed PeW and MP as transitional albums: for the most part shorter, more accessible songs, yet both contain longer compositions (e.g., Natural Science and The Camera Eye).

#10 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

My answer is that I think of it as an 80s album.  Yeah, it was (barely) released in the 80s, but more than that it was an evolution away from their previous stuff, which was definitely 70s music.  I don't see it as "synth-era" music though; to me Signals was their first real "synthy" album.

Permanent Waves was the first Rush album I heard and until recently was my favourite.  (Now Clockwork Angels is giving it a run for its money.)

#11 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

As a good contrast, listen to AFTK, then PeW...in just 2 years their sound had changed dramatically. AFTK is DEFINITELY a 70s album.

#12 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20795 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think of Permanent Waves as a 1980s album. Had "Sir Gawain" been on the album instead of "natural science", it would probably have felt like a 70s album. New Wave was already "in" in 1979 and I can hear it in the album. This album was looking forward to the 80s.

#13 Snorlax2112

Snorlax2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think Permanent Waves is an 80s album just because it was released in January 1st, 1980, even though the songs were made in the 70s.  It's just like how "Best I Can" from Fly By Night is considered a 1975 song even though it was made in 1974.

Some songs like Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings sound like 70s songs, but others like Natural Science sound like an 80s song.  So in some way, it could be considered both, but I just go with it being an 80s album.

#14 losingit2k

losingit2k

Setlist Swami

• Members *
  • 7471 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Sports

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

The fact that they released it on Jan 1st of 1980 was a statement in itself. Which basically said: This is the new stuff and the direction we'll be taking in the new decade. :codger:

#15 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 24836 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostXanadoood, on 29 August 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

As a good contrast, listen to AFTK, then PeW...in just 2 years their sound had changed dramatically. AFTK is DEFINITELY a 70s album.

For the same contrast, listen to Signals than PeW.  PeW seems more like AFTK than Signals to me.

#16 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

my first response is who cares, but when i think about it, it has more in common with their 80's works than their 70's works - it definitely sounds like a new modern sound pretty distinct from what came before it.

i'll vote 80's, if for no other reason than to bug ledrush :P

#17 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20795 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

I think Permanent Waves sounds more like Signals than AFTK.

#18 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

It is beautifully unclassfiable :wub: :wub: :wub:

#19 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4651 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

It is the best album from the 90's era.

#20 RushBoingo

RushBoingo

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1094 posts
  • Interests:Concerts, Music, Amusement Parks, Road Trips, Laughing.
    Favorite Bands: Animal Collective, They Might Be Giants, Rush, too may others to list here

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

Well for me, it's 80s all the way, both in date and in sound. One fact I like to boast about Rush is that they kicked off the decade that a lot of people consider to have the most memorable music, and not to mention such a strong testament of a song to kick it off with. Musically it sounds way closer to Moving Pictures than Hemspheres, so I will go with 80s. Though the intro videos for the Time Machine Tour seem to dictate that the band members consider it to be an album from 79 (and moving pictures being from 1980 for that matter). I personally like to look at their albums in pairs rather than quads. They have the Hard Rock, Trio-prog, Synth Prog, Classic rock, Simple Synth, Heavy Synth, Alternative, Heavy Folk Rock, and refined metal combo's. (Feedback not included, Clockwork Angels awaiting duo album name should it come).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users