Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album?

LedRush

Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album

• Yes - every part of the album was started and finished in the 1970s.
    • Yes - it is more like the prog era music than the synth era music
    • No - it was released on Jan 1, 1980, and I'm a stickler for details
    • No - it is more like the synth era music than the prof era music

I'm aligned with you on this as those three songs could sit very snugly on AFTK, they're real moody and smart like Hemispheres (CttH very different!) - for me, PW is like "total Rush", sandwiched in the middle of Hemispheres and the markedly different style of MP.
  • Like 3

It was actually released on Jan. 14th of 1980 according to wikipedia.

Anyway, imo it's much closer in sound to Moving Pictures than to Hemispheres. It was definitely a step in a different direction even though it was still rooted in classic prog for the most part(but without the side long epics). The real change in sound happened on Signals which while still proggy was even more synth and new wave influenced. Permanent Waves has some new wave influence but it sounds mostly still prog influenced(at least to me).

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

^^^ That's the way I see it, too. Signals was the first record in a string of four that came to be known as keyboard era Rush and it's quite a bit different from anything Rush did before it. It was such a ballsy overhaul in sound and style, (and right after the uber successful MP, no less) that it's in Neil Young and Todd Rundgren territory in terms of saying, "f**k what we were doing before, here's what we're doing now. Take it or leave it."
  • Like 3

^^^ That's the way I see it, too. Signals was the first record in a string of four that came to be known as keyboard era Rush and it's quite a bit different from anything Rush did before it. It was such a ballsy overhaul in sound and style, (and right after the uber successful MP, no less) that it's in Neil Young and Todd Rundgren territory in terms of saying, "f**k what we were doing before, here's what we're doing now. Take it or leave it."

Hadn't really thought about it before but yeah, `82-`87 was Neil Young`s totally different style era too. Rush had very different reasons though!

• Like 1