Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album?

LedRush

Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album

• Yes - every part of the album was started and finished in the 1970s.
    • Yes - it is more like the prog era music than the synth era music
    • No - it was released on Jan 1, 1980, and I'm a stickler for details
    • No - it is more like the synth era music than the prof era music

I should have done a search first.

Sorry.

I don't know that discussing this in 2 threads is worse than rating Neil's top five high-hat hits.

It's like getting neck strain from watching a digital tennis match.

I want in on that high-hat hit discussion! :syrinx:

• Like 1

the 80s were not all about singles and videos. if the videos are all you cared to check out, that's a shame. lots of great music, but I've covered that in this thread, I'm sure.

I said it was characterized by singles and videos, a very different thing from what you say I said.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but I think the band told us in not so many words at about the six minute mark of the Time Machine: Live in Cleveland DVD. The intro ends with the time machine set to 1979 AD and the band begins The Spirit of Radio. It couldn't be any more definitive than that: Whether or not it is a 70s' album, the band tell us that it begins therein. So it is not not a 70s' album.
  • Like 2

In the history of TRF, I wonder how many threads we have started discussing this very important topic.

It's a good topic to immediately shift the focus in any thread. So, the next time a thread gets tense, you can always throw in a post along the lines of: "You know what, I was listening to Permanent Waves the other day and still can't decide what decade the album belongs in." Guaranteed to lighten the mood immediately! :)

You're welcome. :cheers:

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but I think the band told us in not so many words at about the six minute mark of the Time Machine: Live in Cleveland DVD. The intro ends with the time machine set to 1979 AD and the band begins The Spirit of Radio. It couldn't be any more definitive than that: Whether or not it is a 70s' album, the band tell us that it begins therein. So it is not not a 70s' album.

PeW is the 80's album, period!

That album represents big shifting in Rush music style and sound.

FACTS. Permanent Waves was recorded, mixed, songs played on radio, stacked on pallets and shrink wrapped in 1979. Those are FACTS not opinions or feelings. It is the last album of the 70's.

• Like 3

There you go spreading that shrink wrap fake news again, John Rogers. :sarcastic:

I'm using shrink wrap lower case as a verb. Do you prefer cellophane?

There you go spreading that shrink wrap fake news again, John Rogers. :sarcastic:

I'll think about it and get back to you.

Don't take too long, I'm a busy guy, places to see, people to go.

I'll think about it and get back to you.

Don't take too long, I'm a busy guy, places to see, people to go.

Speaking of busy, how's Herbert doing?

i think I prefer cellophane. It sounds better than shrink wrap. Especially if said with a French accent.

nope

• Like 2

What the h*ll, one more time, it's an AOR album, a characteristic of '70s music, making it a '70s album. '80s music was characterized by singles and videos. Signals to me was Rush's first '80s album, at least that's how it felt like to me at the time. With MP Rush was still a traditional rock band, though an amazingly excellent Galaxy Class one without peer in 1981. With Signals it was like, "So, Rush has got on board with this Duran Duran and Talking Heads thing. Oh well, we'll see where this goes."

Into the crapper amazingly fast.

I think new commenters should be required to read the entire thread before commenting.

Everybody else already knows this topic was definitively settled long ago when someone

made the astute observation that Permanent Waves is, in fact, a 70s' album with it's toes

tapping forward to the 80s.

• Like 2

I think new commenters should be required to read the entire thread before commenting.

Everybody else already knows this topic was definitively settled long ago when someone

made the astute observation that Permanent Waves is, in fact, a 70s' album with it's toes

tapping forward to the 80s.

Reading comprehension went out during the Reagan administration.

• Like 1

FACTS. Permanent Waves was recorded, mixed, songs played on radio, stacked on pallets and shrink wrapped in 1979. Those are FACTS not opinions or feelings. It is the last album of the 70's.

Fact: Music is dated by the date of release to the general public. It doesn't matter one iota what the fans think (especially when wrong).

Fact: Music is dated by the date of release to the general public. It doesn't matter one iota what the fans think (especially when wrong).

You're absolutely correct to point out that with Permanent Waves the 80s' fans got to enjoy one last 70s' album.

• Like 1

My four FACTS out weigh your one ALTERNATIVE FACT. 70's album.

My three FACTS and one FABRICATION out weigh your one ALTERNATIVE FACT. 70's album.

Keeping you honest.

You can thank me at a later time.

On a lesser scale debate, I remember some saying Presto (released in November '89) was a 90s album.

I was born in 1972 which means I'm a child of the 1950s. :smoke:

Presto IS a 90s album, you just have to squint a bit and use your frontal cerebral cortex. ;)

• Like 1

My three FACTS and one FABRICATION out weigh your one ALTERNATIVE FACT. 70's album.

Keeping you honest.

You can thank me at a later time.

FACTS. Permanent Waves was recorded, mixed, songs played on radio, stacked on pallets wrapped in cellophane, all in 1979. Those are FACTS not opinions or feelings. It is the last album of the 70's.

My four FACTS still out weigh his one flimsy ALTERNATIVE FACT.

• Like 1