Favorite Stand-up Comedian videos

Lost In Xanadu

Louis CK is awesome, and he's got a new hour-long video out. It's brilliant in its concept. It's entirely self-produced - no corporation telling him what to do, how to do it, how much to charge. So he hired a production company with half a dozen cameras, recorded the special, hired a company to put up a website, and he's now selling the download (HD) for $5. Instead of $20 like we'd pay if it were commercially produced. And it looks as good or better than a commercially produced DVD.

The kicker is that he tells the story of it on his website. He put up $170,000 (mostly from ticket sales at the shows), and in the first 12 hours, had 50,000 purchases, for $250,000. The website cost $32,000. Not bad. To date (and it's only been on sale for a few days), he's sold 110,000 downloads, for over half a million dollars. He says that after overhead and PayPal fees, he's looking at about $200k in profit.

No DRM, just download the thing and burn it to a DVD if you want or keep it on your computer, whatever. No company tracking your purchase, no joining anything. Five little dollars for an hour of enjoyment.

I'm not going to say I've paid for everything I've ever watched or heard, but he has this message on his buy page:

To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

Any thought I had of torrenting the video went right out of my head. It is only five little dollars. Today I spent $80 on a woman to come clean my home! How can I not spend five bucks on this video that I want to watch?

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 14 2011, 11:06 PM)
Louis CK is awesome, and he's got a new hour-long video out. It's brilliant in its concept. It's entirely self-produced - no corporation telling him what to do, how to do it, how much to charge. So he hired a production company with half a dozen cameras, recorded the special, hired a company to put up a website, and he's now selling the download (HD) for $5. Instead of $20 like we'd pay if it were commercially produced. And it looks as good or better than a commercially produced DVD.

The kicker is that he tells the story of it on his website. He put up $170,000 (mostly from ticket sales at the shows), and in the first 12 hours, had 50,000 purchases, for $250,000. The website cost $32,000. Not bad. To date (and it's only been on sale for a few days), he's sold 110,000 downloads, for over half a million dollars. He says that after overhead and PayPal fees, he's looking at about $200k in profit.

No DRM, just download the thing and burn it to a DVD if you want or keep it on your computer, whatever. No company tracking your purchase, no joining anything. Five little dollars for an hour of enjoyment.

I'm not going to say I've paid for everything I've ever watched or heard, but he has this message on his buy page:

To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

Any thought I had of torrenting the video went right out of my head. It is only five little dollars. Today I spent $80 on a woman to come clean my home! How can I not spend five bucks on this video that I want to watch?

WOW...I am a huge fan and I had no clue of this.

I am on that right now!

Thanks!

trink39.gif

• Like 1

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

danielmclark,

You are the man!

I am literally downloading one of my 3 right now!!! That took me 1 minute to click the link you provided, signup and start the download.

I can't freaking wait!

Anyone not familiar with Louis C.K. BUY THIS THING. I haven't seen it but I guarantee it is awesome.

I still can't believe I didn't know about this!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

24% downloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

Just watched the first 5 mins on my computer because my DVD burner isn't working, but it's just what I expected...hilarious!

Thanks again!

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Dec 14 2011, 09:57 PM)
Donald Glover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1SS2mE6Aqs

As far as movies go, Richard Pryor Live On The Sunset Strip just for his last act recalling that incident were he set himself on fire.

The one he did before that which was just called "Richard Prior Live in Concert" was one of the top 5 funniest comedies I have ever seen. Most people have not seen it because it is pretty obscure. It also helps if you are older because he talks about people and things that were happening at the time that a younger crowd won't know or get. If you are 40 or older and haven't seen it then you are missing a classic.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2011, 08:21 PM)
^bottom of the barrel, IMO. but still not worse than Larry the Cable Guy, Carlos Mencia, or ::shudder:: Jeff Dunham..

You're high! Engvall and Larry the Cable Guy are hilarious!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 15 2011, 11:15 AM)
John Pinette!

yes.gif

I saw him live at Summerfest here in Milwaukee. Hilarious.

"YOU GO HOME NOW!!!"

Steven Wright is one of my all time favorites. I've seen him 3 times live, and I was never disappointed.

Cosby is number one in my book. Timeless.

Chocolate cake:

"My children, who were singing my praises, LIED on me!"

Robin Williams can be hit or miss, but when he's on you're laughing out loud till you ache.

Lewis Black

Mitch Hedberg

• Like 1

No love for Tim Allen. I loved that Rewires America video... I almost wore it out (yeah, VHS)

This is from memory, so forgive me if it's off...

"Only a man would think to light a fart - you'd never see a woman do that. You see a woman with a lighter and her legs up in the air? 'Hey hey hey Helen, this is a bridge club, not a refinery!!' "

• Like 1

Louis C.K.- Louie the funniest most original comedy show on tv. yes.gif

James Gaffigan- Hottttt Pockets! laugh.gif

Eddie Izzard-Dressed to Kill

That's top of the line for me...I even have the CD in my car. I cant tell you how often I quote that video!

Eddie Murphy, for all the reasons everyone said.

Same for Bill Cosby...cant tell you how many times I sing the "Dad is great...he give us the chocolate cake" song. tongue.gif

DIGI--you totally nailed it with Mitch Hedberg DAMN funny! damn shame.

Jeremy Hotz find one of his vids! (cant post from work) I watched his HBO half hour special some years ago, and i STILL find myself laughing to myself at some of his schtick.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Dec 15 2011, 01:01 PM)
Louis C.K.- Louie the funniest most original comedy show on tv. yes.gif
James Gaffigan- Hottttt Pockets! laugh.gif

Agree on Louie. Although Wilfred the show that was on just before Louie was hilarious.

If you haven't downloaded the Louis CK Live at the Beacon Theater that danielmclark talked about, and your a fan, go back in the thread and follow the link. It's more amazing Louis CK standup and its only $5!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 15 2011, 12:39 PM)
Eddie Izzard-Dressed to Kill
That's top of the line for me...I even have the CD in my car. I cant tell you how often I quote that video!

Eddie Murphy, for all the reasons everyone said.

Same for Bill Cosby...cant tell you how many times I sing the "Dad is great...he give us the chocolate cake" song. tongue.gif

DIGI--you totally nailed it with Mitch Hedberg DAMN funny! damn shame.

Jeremy Hotz find one of his vids! (cant post from work) I watched his HBO half hour special some years ago, and i STILL find myself laughing to myself at some of his schtick.

YEah, Mitch was great.

Jeremy is the guy I was thinking aobut yesterday but I couldn't remember his name. He's hilarious.