last movie you watched

sonicjams

Logan's Run. A great concept (I see it's now a series). I think the original holds up pretty well, if one can accept the goofy (epic?) 70s effects and stiff dialog. It even has Farah Fawcett in it!

Logan's Run was dystopia before dystopia was cool.

ETA: Peter Ustinov shows up at the end, and the genius of his acting stands in great contrast to the generally ham-handed acting present throughout the film. Ustinov was a treasure.

Used to love this movie as a kid. I don't think it's aging very well. This one could definitely use a remake.

It is now a series...on Netflix or Hulu

220px-Dune_1984_Poster.jpg

You are truly brave ...... ;)

It was on Showtime for one more week. Yeah, I agree with Lynch who disowned it. It’s a confusing mess of a movie and not in the typical good Lynchian way.

I’d watch it again if it were on Rifftrax though.

Edited by invisible airwave

220px-Dune_1984_Poster.jpg

You are truly brave ...... ;)

It was on Showtime for one more week. Yeah, I agree with Lynch who disowned it. It’s a confusing mess of a movie and not in the typical good Lynchian way.

I’d watch it again if it were on Rifftrax though.

There are some pretty good scenes here and there, but not enough to save the film, IMO. The mini-series by SyFy Channel a few years back was much better.

It's been awhile since a movie has made me feel that strange flood of emotion - ya know, where your face gets all warm and eyes well up and water runs down your cheeks, even though you do all you can to shut the faucet off

2006's Memories Of Matsuko

http://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/713Xbz8fWnL._SL1084_.jpg

I’m not saying this in any macho way, far from it, but I’ve never cried in a movie. The closest I’ve ever gotten was at the end of Iron Giant when...

...he sacrifices himself and flies head on into the missile.

Thought I’d include that as a spoiler just in case you haven’t seen it. It’s easily one of my favorite animated films of all time, could be my favorite.

• Like 1

220px-Tin_Cup.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart: I've had a theory for awhile that Kevin Costner acts the same in nearly every movie he is in, but that persona is very effective in sports movies! I loved Cheech Marin's character in this too.

• Like 1

BfWwj71m.jpg I liked it, but I was expecting it to be like a 10/10 after hearing so much about it. It seemed more like 8/10 to me. I had heard so much about Laurie Metcalf's acting as the mom and she came off pretty one dimensional to me. I did love Saorise Ronan but I thought the girl cast as her plain dark haired best friend was really good as well. Maybe it's just me, my husband thought it was a 10 !
  • Like 1

220px-Tin_Cup.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart: I've had a theory for awhile that Kevin Costner acts the same in nearly every movie he is in, but that persona is very effective in sports movies! I loved Cheech Marin's character in this too.

I’m not a big Costner fan but he’s got some decent movies to his credit. These would be his best 3 imho (chronologically):

Fandango

Bull Durham

A Perfect World

These are three very different movies yet Costner’s virtually the same in all of them...and somehow it’s still effective

• Like 1

It's been awhile since a movie has made me feel that strange flood of emotion - ya know, where your face gets all warm and eyes well up and water runs down your cheeks, even though you do all you can to shut the faucet off

I’m not saying this in any macho way, far from it, but I’ve never cried in a movie. The closest I’ve ever gotten was at the end of Iron Giant when...

Thought I’d include that as a spoiler just in case you haven’t seen it. It’s easily one of my favorite animated films of all time, could be my favorite.

I've never seen that one, and if it evokes that kind of emotion, I will have to watch it sometime ..

Memories Of Matsuko hit me the same way Big Fish did - it sort of took me by surprise because both movies have a fantasy feel .. and both in terms of visuals and tone, something very colorful and light ... But endings hit me the same way ..

Of all the Tim Burton films that I;'ve seen, Big Fish is definitely the standout

• Like 1

I've never seen that one, and if it evokes that kind of emotion, I will have to watch it sometime ..

Memories Of Matsuko hit me the same way Big Fish did - it sort of took me by surprise because both movies have a fantasy feel .. and both in terms of visuals and tone, something very colorful and light ... But endings hit me the same way ..

Of all the Tim Burton films that I;'ve seen, Big Fish is definitely the standout

One animated film I should’ve cried in but didn’t was Hotaru no Haka (Graveyard of the Fireflies). That’s waaaay up there with Iron Giant though it’s a lot heavier and gut wrenching than Iron Giant. I’ve talked about it before on TRF but don’t remember if you commented on it or not. It’s one of my best animated films I’ve seen AND one of my best war movies too. You must see that if you haven’t already. I don’t think I’m giving anything away by saying you’ll certainly cry in that one.

• Like 1

220px-Tin_Cup.jpg

I’m not a big Costner fan but he’s got some decent movies to his credit. These would be his best 3 imho (chronologically):

Fandango

Bull Durham

A Perfect World

These are three very different movies yet Costner’s virtually the same in all of them...and somehow it’s still effective

I loved A Perfect World, I had forgotten about that! Different type of movie for him but I agree, he was really good in that. Bull Durham is great as well but another sports guy so he did well. I'll have to seek out Fandango sometime, I keep hearing about it but have never seen it.

One animated film I should’ve cried in but didn’t was Hotaru no Haka (Graveyard of the Fireflies). That’s waaaay up there with Iron Giant though it’s a lot heavier and gut wrenching than Iron Giant. I’ve talked about it before on TRF but don’t remember if you commented on it or not. It’s one of my best animated films I’ve seen AND one of my best war movies too. You must see that if you haven’t already. I don’t think I’m giving anything away by saying you’ll certainly cry in that one.

JB, I remember that you and Eagle talked about it, and I will definitely have to check it out as I have never seen it

There are a couple of scenes in "Coming Home" with Gong Li that are pretty emotional too

This may call for a entirely new thread

:LOL:

220px-Tin_Cup.jpg

Fandango

Bull Durham

A Perfect World

Revenge is an underrated Tony Scott film. Funny how Madeline Stowe was on a show and movie with the same title. He’s done good supporting roles lately like Molly’s Game.

He went to the same college my dad went to as well, Cal State Fullerton.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1