What's For Dinner?

The Owl

Sounds absolutely delicious, Troutman.

I love homemade bread, but I don't make it anymore. There is no really warm place that i can place the dough for it to rise.

It should be fine at room temp.

We don't live in a normal house. I freeze in this antiquated mobile home. It has no insulation, so room temperature isn't much different from the temp outside. :)

Ok,

Turn your oven on low,

For about 30/40 minutes.Then turn it off. Wait for about 20 minutes then put it in. But keep an eye on it every 10 minutes.

Put the dough in the oven on low?

I can feel ya on the house insulation. Our house is very old and sparsely insulated. On top of that, its a block house. So, yes, I hear you loud and clear.

But its still warm enough to allow bread to rise.

I use the oven method as explained above to speed up the process except I do it a little different.

I turn the oven to "warm" for just a few minutes. Then turn off and put the dough in. The oven is the second best insulated appliance in your house. It will stay warm for hours.

If it does get cold, you can turn it to warm once more, but just for a few seconds. Just long enough to heat up the element.

I'm not a pastry chef and rarely bake anything. And its difficult to find good bread when your bakery resides in a grocery store. (Publix is the exception).

I was watching "Cooks Corner" on PBS yesterday and they showed how to make a French baguette at home. Took two days as they rested the dough in the fridge for 24 hours.

It looked great. I may try it. Theres one ingredient they used that I don't have. Its similar to yeast, but not yeast. They did use quick acting yeast too.

We are in Florida at the moment,

And Publix is a block away. What do you reccomend?

Sounds absolutely delicious, Troutman.

I love homemade bread, but I don't make it anymore. There is no really warm place that i can place the dough for it to rise.

It should be fine at room temp.

We don't live in a normal house. I freeze in this antiquated mobile home. It has no insulation, so room temperature isn't much different from the temp outside. :)

Ok,

Turn your oven on low,

For about 30/40 minutes.Then turn it off. Wait for about 20 minutes then put it in. But keep an eye on it every 10 minutes.

Put the dough in the oven on low?

I can feel ya on the house insulation. Our house is very old and sparsely insulated. On top of that, its a block house. So, yes, I hear you loud and clear.

But its still warm enough to allow bread to rise.

I use the oven method as explained above to speed up the process except I do it a little different.

I turn the oven to "warm" for just a few minutes. Then turn off and put the dough in. The oven is the second best insulated appliance in your house. It will stay warm for hours.

If it does get cold, you can turn it to warm once more, but just for a few seconds. Just long enough to heat up the element.

I'm not a pastry chef and rarely bake anything. And its difficult to find good bread when your bakery resides in a grocery store. (Publix is the exception).

I was watching "Cooks Corner" on PBS yesterday and they showed how to make a French baguette at home. Took two days as they rested the dough in the fridge for 24 hours.

It looked great. I may try it. Theres one ingredient they used that I don't have. Its similar to yeast, but not yeast. They did use quick acting yeast too.

We are in Florida at the moment,

And Publix is a block away. What do you reccomend?

You eating some exotic animal like 'Gator tonight?

No, But I should try that. We are going to a family owned Cuban restaurant.

Publix has a great bakery. We especially like the 5 grain Italian. They also make some of the best subs known to man.

The Cuban restaurant sounds great. I grew up in a Cuban/Spanish household in Miami.

I still prepare Cuban food. The only thing I cannot get is real Cuban bread. Even Publix does not make an authentic Cuban bread.

Thanks,

I will check it out later tonight. It's BBQ time at a park. :D

Popeye's Fried Chicken with Jambalaya at the new franchise on the way home. Love me some Popeyes but OMG they are slow. I see chicken sitting there within reach...wny does it take them 20 minutes to throw it in a box and give it to me? Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

A great local pub opened up a second location this week. The first, which I love, was ten miles away; this new one is walking distance from my house :)

Tried the chili verde burrito, hellfire hot wings, and an excellent beer - all fantastic. But for college-me, that pre-tip total of $26 stung. Super tasty food as always, now more convenient! They're right below the University now, and there's $2 drafts of high end beer on Tuesdays. :cheers:

• Like 1

A great local pub opened up a second location this week. The first, which I love, was ten miles away; this new one is walking distance from my house :)

Tried the chili verde burrito, hellfire hot wings, and an excellent beer - all fantastic. But for college-me, that pre-tip total of $26 stung. Super tasty food as always, now more convenient! They're right below the University now, and there's $2 drafts of high end beer on Tuesdays. :cheers:

Gotta love that beer price. :hail:

Note to self: No early-morning Wednesday classes.
  • Like 2

Note to self: No early-morning Wednesday classes.

:LOL:

I made some sauteed chicken with mushrooms, tomatoes, green peppers, and italian dressing with some rice on the side. It turned out great!
  • Like 2

Just finished sautéing meatballs for my spaghetti sauce which means that tonight it's spaghetti and meatballs. :LOL:

Don't forget,

The salad and garlic bread. :D

No garlic bread or salad. We aren't a restaurant. :LOL:

I couldn't,

Eat it with out those two. :P

Last night, stopped at the store and they had beef tenderloin on sale for $6.99, What a treat!! Since my dad's bypass surgery, we pretty much cut beef out of our diet... only having it a couple times a month. I grilled it, just a light rub with olive oil and a dash of lime juice (doesn't make the beef taste like lime, but it seems to keep it tender and juicy.) Then simple salt and pepper. I cut the steaks in 3 sizes so they all finish together, but have different temps as I like mine med-rare, my wife likes it med and my daughter likes it med-well. Served with oven browned potatoes and broccoli.
  • Like 4

worked from home today, so I made a fancy-ass dinner :)

Prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin with a port wine and fig reduction. Oven browned potatoes and broccoli as sides.

Sounds delicious. Was it?

man o man, was it!
  • Like 2