The Official Iron Maiden Thread

• Please log in to reply
1122 replies to this topic

#41 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17164 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Dec 31 2010, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 31 2010, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 31 2010, 01:21 AM)
I have their first 5 albums. My faves are Piece of Mind and Killers.

I think those first 5 albums are the greatest first 5 albums by any Metal band Ever

For consistent greatness, I would agree...for having greater peak value that lifts the total value of the compilation, Sabbath's first 5 would take it for me overall...Paranoid, especially.   And Master of Puppets has to put Metallica into the mix, for the same reason.    But for the sheer number of great songs, you've got to give it up for Maiden.

JMO

Yeah, there is a case for Sabbath as well but, Metallica did themselfs in with album number 5 laugh.gif  

Sponsored Post

#42 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9878 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Dec 30 2010, 03:52 PM)
Ive been really into Somewhere in Time and The Final fronteir because they sound really Prog. Metal but Maiden hasn't made a song i don't like. I also got into Fear of the Dark my 2nd favorite album. I love Be quick or be dead!!! 1022.gif

Be Quick Or Be Dead is a very good song and the album has some other decent ones but FOTD is Maiden's weakest effort. There's just too much on the album that is not up to Maiden standards. You could tell it was time for a change/break after listening to that album. Which did happen with Bruce leaving and them getting Blaze Bayley for two albums.

Most of what I listen to from Maiden is between '82-'88. That album steak is second to none as far as i'm conserned. I like the first two albums but I just can't get into Di'Anno's voice that much at all, so I don't listen to them that often.

I always thought Di'Anno's voice didn't fit Maiden at all but Dickinson's voice was the perfect fit for the music. Except for Geddy and Dio no vocalist fits and defines their bands sound better.

#43 Natural Rush

Natural Rush

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Music , Films , Reading , Fishing , Beer !!! , Mountain Biking

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

Di'Anno's  voice was perfect for the first 2 albums and at that time  , i always wonder why people dont rate him  back then !

#44 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 70273 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Dec 31 2010, 04:09 PM)
Ive been really into Somewhere in Time and The Final fronteir because they sound really Prog. Metal but Maiden hasn't made a song i don't like. I also got into Fear of the Dark my 2nd favorite album. I love Be quick or be dead!!! 1022.gif

Be Quick Or Be Dead is a very good song and the album has some other decent ones but FOTD is Maiden's weakest effort. There's just too much on the album that is not up to Maiden standards. You could tell it was time for a change/break after listening to that album. Which did happen with Bruce leaving and them getting Blaze Bayley for two albums.

Most of what I listen to from Maiden is between '82-'88. That album steak is second to none as far as i'm conserned. I like the first two albums but I just can't get into Di'Anno's voice that much at all, so I don't listen to them that often.

I always thought Di'Anno's voice didn't fit Maiden at all but Dickinson's voice was the perfect fit for the music. Except for Geddy and Dio no vocalist fits and defines their bands sound better.

I had kind of lost touch with the Di'Anno stuff, but I recently started listening to the first two albums after Di'Anno was on That Metal Show.     I had forgotten how good it was, and now I'm kind of on a Killers kick.

#45 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Dec 31 2010, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Dec 31 2010, 04:09 PM)

I had kind of lost touch with the Di'Anno stuff, but I recently started listening to the first two albums after Di'Anno was on That Metal Show.     I had forgotten how good it was, and now I'm kind of on a Killers kick.

Me too. I have been listening to the Maiden Japan concert non-stop for the last few months.

#46 Natural Rush

Natural Rush

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Music , Films , Reading , Fishing , Beer !!! , Mountain Biking

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

for me the first 2 albums with  D   kick more ass than the bollocks that is  AMOLAD and  FF  , the last 2 albums are a money rip off  

#47 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10469 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

The first ever documented occurance of a "wrong" opinion.  You saw it here kids!

#48 Steevo

Steevo

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12111 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Jan 1 2011, 11:34 AM)
Di'Anno's  voice was perfect for the first 2 albums and at that time  , i always wonder why people dont rate him  back then !

goodpost.gif  

#49 bigkostas

bigkostas

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

IRON MAIDEN= HEAVY METAL.

Cheers..........................

#50 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9878 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (bigkostas @ Jan 1 2011, 05:12 PM)

yes.gif

Though I said i'm not a big fan of Di'Anno's voice I think i'll give the first two albums a listen again since I haven't heard them in awhile. When time passes your opinions sometimes change on things so i'll see what happens.

Did anyone see them on the tour they did last summer? It was an excellent show but I was kind irked that they decided to make the first 75 mins of the show, with the exception of 'Wrathchild', all material from 2000 to now. It was cool for them to do something different with the set, but there's really something missing when you go to see Maiden and they play nothing off of POM, PS, SIT and SSOASS.

Maybe it's just me unsure.gif  

#51 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 2 2011, 06:52 PM)

yes.gif

Though I said i'm not a big fan of Di'Anno's voice I think i'll give the first two albums a listen again since I haven't heard them in awhile. When time passes your opinions sometimes change on things so i'll see what happens.

Did anyone see them on the tour they did last summer? It was an excellent show but I was kind irked that they decided to make the first 75 mins of the show, with the exception of 'Wrathchild', all material from 2000 to now. It was cool for them to do something different with the set, but there's really something missing when you go to see Maiden and they play nothing off of POM, PS, SIT and SSOASS.

No, a lot of people were upset that they did that. They had just finished a tour of their greatest hits from the 80s so I guess they wanted to do newer stuff. They never come to my neck of the woods anymore (not in 20 years). I wouldn't mind any kind of setlist from them because I have not seen them in 25 years (Powerslave).

#52 GeddyLeeRoth

GeddyLeeRoth

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1218 posts
  • Interests:My family. Music- Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, and Metal. Revisionist History and Anthropology, UFOlogy, Astronomy, Tolkein, Game Of Thrones (books), Star Wars, Weight Training, not completely growing up.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

Yes, the debut and Killers both kick the crap out of AMOLAD and TFF, but the two latest are still good albums. They are totally worthy of the Maiden legacy.  

#53 Drumnut

Drumnut

Bill Gates

• Members *
  • 18341 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

Paul Di'anno, Maiden's original singer, is going to be singing with Aces High, a Maiden tribute band here in Vegas on January 11, 2011 I plan to attend this one!!! I'll try to post some pics.

#54 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9878 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 2 2011, 08:04 PM)

yes.gif

No, a lot of people were upset that they did that. They had just finished a tour of their greatest hits from the 80s so I guess they wanted to do newer stuff. They never come to my neck of the woods anymore (not in 20 years). I wouldn't mind any kind of setlist from them because I have not seen them in 25 years (Powerslave).

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to Maiden not playing my area. They haven't been here since Brave New World and that's why this year I decided to travel someplace to see them. My brother, nephew and myself made the three and a half hour drive down to Pittsburgh to see them. We would've made the shorter trip to Toronto but none of us had those enhanced driver's liscenses that they want you to get or new passports.

We were lucky enough to get genral admission tickets for the pit right in front of the stage. The only problem was they did the whole paperless ticket thing for it. I'm still not sure if i'm a fan of that or not since it was my first experience with but the venue seemed to handle it OK.

I was hoping some more classics would be in the set since it was my nephews first time seeing Maiden and I wanted him to hear stuff like The Trooper, 2 Minutes To Midnight and The Evil That Men Do for his first live Maiden show. He loved it anyways, plus he's got something to look forward to on the next classics tour Maiden does.

#55 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 4 2011, 12:50 PM)

yes.gif

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to Maiden not playing my area. They haven't been here since Brave New World and that's why this year I decided to travel someplace to see them. My brother, nephew and myself made the three and a half hour drive down to Pittsburgh to see them. We would've made the shorter trip to Toronto but none of us had those enhanced driver's liscenses that they want you to get or new passports.

We were lucky enough to get genral admission tickets for the pit right in front of the stage. The only problem was they did the whole paperless ticket thing for it. I'm still not sure if i'm a fan of that or not since it was my first experience with but the venue seemed to handle it OK.

I was hoping some more classics would be in the set since it was my nephews first time seeing Maiden and I wanted him to hear stuff like The Trooper, 2 Minutes To Midnight and The Evil That Men Do for his first live Maiden show. He loved it anyways, plus he's got something to look forward to on the next classics tour Maiden does.

Nice! Lets hope they do another classics tour. I will travel for that one. I will bring my son as well for he appreciates Maiden. He loves the new album as well as the old. Powerslave is his favorite.

#56 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9878 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 4 2011, 07:27 PM)

yes.gif

Nice! Lets hope they do another classics tour. I will travel for that one. I will bring my son as well for he appreciates Maiden. He loves the new album as well as the old. Powerslave is his favorite.

I've heard a rumor that the theme of the next classics tour is gonna be the one from the Seventh Son tour. Which would rule beyond belief since that's my favorite Maiden album 1022.gif  

#57 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 4 2011, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 4 2011, 07:27 PM)

yes.gif

I've heard a rumor that the theme of the next classics tour is gonna be the one from the Seventh Son tour. Which would rule beyond belief since that's my favorite Maiden album 1022.gif

That would rock to the highest degree of all that does rock! I will travel far for that!

#58 ReflectedLight

ReflectedLight

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8673 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

stranger in a strange land
after seventh son they went down the tubes imo.

#59 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members *
  • 3050 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Worldbuilding, Mapmaking, Programming, Composing Music

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Dec 30 2010, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Dec 29 2010, 12:09 PM)
A Matter Of Life And Death and the latest album are garbage

Like some others here I think both of those albums are quite good. I don't understand why if someone makes a thread to discuss with others fans their appreciation for a band why some people post stuff like this right away confused13.gif

How about you discuss what you like from the band? That's what the rest of us are here to do.

goodpost.gif  

#60 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

3 words:

Piece of Mind

Nothing like it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users