what went wrong?

Is Tom Sawyer overrated?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tom Sawyer overrated?

• Possibly
    • No
    • Let me think about it
    • Yes
    • Thank you for letting me have an opinion!

No f'ing way is it overrated, and shame on you. Yes, it is overplayed (not here in Oz, tho!), I've personally played it probably 725,439 times and it STILL sends shivers down my spine, and is my 2nd favourite Rush tune, after SoR.

Is Tom Sawyer overrated?
Possibly [ 3 ]  [9.68%]
No [ 23 ]  [74.19%]
Let me think about it [ 1 ]  [3.23%]
Yes [ 4 ]  [12.90%]
Thank you for letting me have an opinion! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 31

unsure.gif

applaudit.gif

Its a great song the got the hell played out of it. If it comes on the radio i usually change the station, but if its being played live, or on dvd or sumthin, i usually leave it stay, cause i love the visual of the band playing it, it just gets booring when its on the radio or on random play on Itunes..

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 9 2006, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Aug 9 2006, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 9 2006, 03:03 PM)
This could only be the perception of someone who's overplayed the song...

i mean if you've listened to it non-stop since 1981 then I'm sure it'll probably cross your mind that it might, just could be overrated...

tongue.gif

Well then it's a good thing that I wasn't even born in 1981. 653.gif

Even if you'd been listening it from 1990 you'd have that perspective I expect...

wink.gif

I suppose you have a point. Maybe I shouldn't have started this poll(?).

There is a difference between being overrated and getting airplay. Tom Sawyer is a great song. yes.gif

overrated? no

Overplayed? YES

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Aug 10 2006, 07:37 AM)
overrated? no
Overplayed? YES

The difference between overplayed and overrated is blurry. When something gets overplayed, it could be said that it ends up being overrated, because of the widespread popularity resulting from being overplayed.

TS is definitely a great song, and I think is borderline overrated, but not nearly as overrated as Working Man and the other radio songs.

Still love TS when I put in MP, but I'd rather not hear it live again, if it meant they could add another lost classic. Of course, first time concert-goers would feel cheated, justifiably.

(Second Nature just came on RUSH Radio - a song I'd like added in place of Sawyer live. Actually, keep Sawyer & dump Bones!)

I agree with alot of you. Overrated No. Over played Yes.

It is almost the only song ever played on terrestrial radio. It would be a big diappointment to those new Rush fans and ones seeing them live for the first time if it wasn't played in concert.

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Aug 9 2006, 03:03 PM)
I wouldnt say. Its just one of there more frequently played songs, along with Spirit of Radio, Limelight, etc.

You realize your "Xanadu" logo is from the Olivia Newton-John movie, right?

QUOTE (cla2112 @ Aug 10 2006, 08:56 PM)
You realize your "Xanadu" logo is from the Olivia Newton-John movie, right?

Heh, heh.

In high school, a friend (a drummer) told me that his band was going to bust out "Xanadu" in an upcoming battle of the bands.

"Why do you want to play an Olivia Newton-John song?" I asked.

*SMACK!*

(At this time, the only RUSH song I had ever heard was... Tom Sawyer. ) biggrin.gif

Edited by momosdanceparty

negative.

it's just that there aren't that many other songs of Rush's that people would recognize.

i honestly can't even tell you how many of my friends have said "hey carolynn, i heard this Rush song on the radio yesterday & i thought of you". when i ask them what it was, they can never tell me! laugh.gif but i figure it's either tom sawyer, spirit of radio, or limelight.

QUOTE (The Analog Kid @ Aug 10 2006, 03:37 PM)
It is almost the only song ever played on terrestrial radio. It would be a big diappointment to those new Rush fans and ones seeing them live for the first time if it wasn't played in concert.

I agree, although this one time they played 2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx on the Loop (the biggest classic rock station in Chicagoland, but very hard to get out in the sticks). I wish they played modern-day Rush on the radio; I've never heard anything newer than [ugh] New World Man. Let's get some VT or some Counterparts on the air!

I have yet to go to a Rush concert (or any concert, for that matter), but I guess I'd still get overly excited about TS when they started to play it, and overly pissed if they didn't.

I really shouldn't have started this poll, but I have an idea for a better one...

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Aug 9 2006, 03:38 PM)
I voted yes, but it was borderline "possibly". Maybe this depends on how one defines the word "overrated". I'd say the song is definitely overplayed, and possibly overplayed to the point of being overrated. Many people automatically think Tom Sawyer when they hear mention of Rush, like Rush = Tom Sawyer and nothing else. (the same could be said for others, like Working Man, Spirit of Radio, and especially New World Man, which is definitely overrated imho, but that's another topic)

A new poll, maybe?

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Aug 9 2006, 03:33 PM)
I have heard this song a zillion times and I never tire of it. It's one of Rushs' trademark songs. It's not my favourite by a longshot, but it's definitely not overrated.

I concur

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Aug 11 2006, 10:09 AM)
I don't think it's overrated; but it's certainly not the "quintessential" Rush song (at least not from the 'hardcore' fans' perspectve).

According to Geddy, the quintessential Rush song is Closer to the Heart. And if anyone rags about that song, I'll kick some serious gluteous max... pokey.gif beathorse.gif

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Aug 11 2006, 09:09 AM)
I don't think it's overrated; but it's certainly not the "quintessential" Rush song (at least not from the 'hardcore' fans' perspectve).

yes it is