RIP Le Studio; the building has been demolished

blueschica

When was the last time someone recorded there? Why did people stop recording there? What made it special other than RUSH liking to use the place?

When was the last time someone recorded there? Why did people stop recording there? What made it special other than RUSH liking to use the place?

Never mind, I found a Wikipedia page.

No need for recording studios any more.

Everyone records from their home.

That’s why so many rock records these days sound like absolute ass.

That's debatable because Billie Eilish's album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, was recorded at her siblings home as noted here.

The album won multiple Grammy Awards including Album of the Year and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical.

It's not a rock record, but there's crappy sounding pop records as well.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Sure, for something I have an attachment to. Not for some studio that I never been to in my life. Where a band records an album plays no part in whether or not I like it.

Someone already said - the value nowadays is in its history. If that isn't your thing, that's fine. But plenty of people (myself included) appreciate the history of Le Studio and all the magic that happened there.

• Like 1

I don't get it. It's just a f***ing recording studio for Christ's sake.

������������

Are you using special characters in your posts? This is what I'm seeing -- whatever you typed there my computer isn't translating it. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

mr-freeze-post1.jpg

I put an emoji in one of my posts once, and this occurred. This probably is the same thing he's doing :huh:

Was it one of our emojis, or from somewhere else?

All I did was right click and I saw "Emoji & Symbols". That's all where I get those other emojis. I use the emojis here too.

You mean the emojis that come from your phone? Those wont work on the board. Only the board-installed ones work here. When I post from my phone I have to resist the urge to use the emojis that are on my mobile keyboard.

������������

Are you using special characters in your posts? This is what I'm seeing -- whatever you typed there my computer isn't translating it. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

mr-freeze-post1.jpg

I put an emoji in one of my posts once, and this occurred. This probably is the same thing he's doing :huh:

Was it one of our emojis, or from somewhere else?

All I did was right click and I saw "Emoji & Symbols". That's all where I get those other emojis. I use the emojis here too.

You mean the emojis that come from your phone? Those wont work on the board. Only the board-installed ones work here. When I post from my phone I have to resist the urge to use the emojis that are on my mobile keyboard.

Yeah, the ones from the phone... I can also pull up the same mobile emojis on my Mac too, cuz there happens to be an option. I think one of those emojis worked once, but most usually don't work.

Every room is different and unique.

Rebuilding a studio (for example rebuilding Le Studio).....does not mean the vibe and sounds you were able to get in that “room” will be the same.

Every studio is one of a kind. And some get famous because of how unique the sound and vibe is and therefore some pretty amazing albums come out of a certain studios.

I recorded a 5 song EP back in 1992 with my band in the same room Hotel California and several other famous records were recorded in. I can’t tell you how unique and amazing that experience was.

If your a musician you understand this......if your not...then you get comments like yours above.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4

Exactly! It's just a recording studio.

Why do some fans feel the need to make a pilgrimage (if that's the correct word) to this place, I'll never know.

I’m not really feeling great loss but I understand it. There’s a sense of history connected to it. And history is important to many. Simple as that.

But what makes it more special and historical to fans than any other studio where a classic album was recorded? I get why the bands would have a special connection to the studios they've recorded in but I don't understand why the fans would since the majority of them have never been there.

Exactly. I can understand the fan thing. But from musician’s point of few...these are churches.

• Like 1

To me, Le Studio only means anything because of the way it was lovingly described in various writings from Neil. It was clear that he felt the atmosphere and bonding that was done there helped create some of the magic in the recordings. The building may be gone, but the descriptions of the time and place remain. That's really all that matters.
  • Like 1

Sad to see it go. I haven't checked in on the 'Save Le Studio' saga in awhile - so is this permanent and nothing will replace it? I seem to remember someone wanting to build a school or museum or something (although I thought they were going to restore what was left instead of tearing it down).

W1der what happened?........as of just this past May 2020 a video on yt had an update about things were moving forward

showed people working around cleaning,fixing some of the damage to the building

W1der what happened?........as of just this past May 2020 a video on yt had an update about things were moving forward

showed people working around cleaning,fixing some of the damage to the building

On the Le Studio Morin Heights 2020 Facebook group page here, there will be a rebuild occurring in 2021.

I've never seen so much attention focused on rebuilding an abandon recording facility.

In the past, the band didn't really show much interest in nostalgia about this, until Geddy started wearing a Le Studio t-shirt at his book signings.

Maybe Geddy and Alex have a change of heart about the whole thing now, who knows?

I wish more music fans could have this passion for other recording studios around the globe that closed down and became abandoned to be rebuilt. They're just as important as Le Studio.

It was really only ever one person that started (and became pretty focused on) the Save LeStudio idea, about five years ago. He began raising funds and has big dreams that in 2021 it will be rebuilt with recording, performance stage, a museum, etc. However, he does not own the land, some numbered corporation does. I think that is why the building came down. He has dreams and a lot of social media talent, it shows up everywhere but unfortunately he does not own the land and has not raised enough through selling t shirts (and charging people to visit the area from some accounts.) He has done some work cleaning up debris from the fire and putting up some plaques to commemorate the Rush recordings made there but that is about all.

He was savvy enough to gift Le Studio t shirts to Geddy and Alex, and also made them a guitar and bass from Le Studio reclaimed wood. They were nice enough to accept the gifts and have been photographed with them, but that does not mean they endorse the rebuilding idea.

I loved the Sound City movie and it would have been nice, before the destruction, to see a legit non profit foundation started to turn it into a museum but I think the time has passed, unfortunately.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

How long before chunks of wood are sold on E-bay that are alleged to come from the studio? How long before people pay ridiculous amounts of money for said chunks of wood?
  • Like 2

No need for recording studios any more.

Everyone records from their home.

That’s why so many rock records these days sound like absolute ass.

That's debatable because Billie Eilish's album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, was recorded at her siblings home as noted here.

The album won multiple Grammy Awards including Album of the Year and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical.

It's not a rock record, but there's crappy sounding pop records as well.

Yes - that's not a bad sounding album. But it should be said there is not one analog instrument on the record.

I see these huge bands like Five Finger Death punch - with drummers playing massive kits. Why? What is the point. In the studio recordings every nuance is scrubbed out and the very signal is being replaced with a sample of the kick, snare and toms.

Aside from Tool, I haven't heard a current satisfying drum mix in 20 years.

Also of note. When there is a popular drum sound, producers will give, or sell, that sampled sound to other producers. Or take the sample, and use with another artist.

It's an economical and profitable way of doing things, but it's also horse-shit.

• Like 2

How long before chunks of wood are sold on E-bay that are alleged to come from the studio? How long before people pay ridiculous amounts of money for said chunks of wood?

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top made a guitar out of the wood of Muddy Waters birth home in Mississippi.

He called it Muddywood.

Some would pay for Geddy’s unwashed socks he used for that last gig in 2015. The “right” person just hasn’t stolen them from his clothes hamper to put them on eBay yet.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

That guy does sell chunks of Le Studio broken glass . . . :banghead:

• Like 3

That’s who I thought of right away. Hell, he’d probably use any broken glass and say that Peart looked out this window (broken glass) as he penned Free Will.

• Like 1

Le Studio has been abolished, demolished, and then will be rebuilt and look polished.

If you put together all the splinters of Jesus' cross that have been sold to Christians over the centuries, you'd have a whole forest.

Exactly! It's just a recording studio.

Why do some fans feel the need to make a pilgrimage (if that's the correct word) to this place, I'll never know.

I’m not really feeling great loss but I understand it. There’s a sense of history connected to it. And history is important to many. Simple as that.

But what makes it more special and historical to fans than any other studio where a classic album was recorded? I get why the bands would have a special connection to the studios they've recorded in but I don't understand why the fans would since the majority of them have never been there.

The same reason we’re on this board instead of say U2’s - preference. Is Moving Pictures more special than The Joshua Tree? It is to probably 99% of TRF.

That’s who I thought of right away. Hell, he’d probably use any broken glass and say that Peart looked out this window (broken glass) as he penned Free Will.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

• Like 1