All 180 Rush songs ranked from #180 to #1

driventotheedge

I don't agree with a lot of what he put at the bottom, and his style got irritating really

Turn the page...

I agree, I enjoy Garden Road and some of the others he listed in the bottom 15. And where were Tai Shan and Dog Years? We joke about them a lot but they are truly poor songs, IMO.

Bullshit. Dog Years is the best groove Rush ever played. The lyrics suck for anyone who isn't a dog lover!
  • Like 1

I don't agree with a lot of what he put at the bottom, and his style got irritating really

Turn the page...

I agree, I enjoy Garden Road and some of the others he listed in the bottom 15. And where were Tai Shan and Dog Years? We joke about them a lot but they are truly poor songs, IMO.

Bullshit. Dog Years is the best groove Rush ever played. The lyrics suck for anyone who isn't a dog lover!

At times Dog Years gets in my top 20

• Like 1

Turn the page...

It's been in my top 20 since it came out.
  • Like 1

Turn the page...

It's been in my top 20 since it came out.

Dog Years might be in my bottom 20. But, I can say that I don’t think it’s the worst on T4E

• Like 1

I don't know what's to bandwagon here - most of us Rush fans are full grown adults and kinda old. Like I give a crap about fitting in. Those 4 tunes you mentioned are pretty much bottom of the barrel

But if I were to rank Rush tunes I'd more likely just grade them. Split them into four groups A/B/C/D

La Villa/2112/NS/Xanadu would be examples of A grade

and Tai Shan/Dog Years/Colour of Right/High Water being examples of D grade

I'm a bandwagoner I guess - on the band wagon for 40+ years

108. "Cut to the Chase," Counterparts (1993)

A swinging beat sets this typical early 1990s hard rocker apart from the others. "Cut to the Chase" is not one of Rush's masterpieces but, let's be honest, if a band like Dream Theater were to record it it would be the highlight of their resume. #Diss.

lol

• Like 1

Pretty strong to list Barchetta as the single greatest Rush song. He might be right about that. I think it’s aged better than TS or SOR.

Barchetta is one Rush song I've liked since the very first time I've heard it. Freewill is a contender as well.

Note the concentration of 1977-1981 material near the top. There's no doubting there's 4 quality albums in a row that are almost unmatched in rock music. We could pull that further back and say 1976, 2112 through 1982, Signals and probably still be right with 6 quality albums.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 3

Pretty strong to list Barchetta as the single greatest Rush song. He might be right about that. I think it’s aged better than TS or SOR.

^^^

Besides most of the list being wrong, this is a prime example of why these lists are just opinion pieces.

• Like 1

Barchetta is one Rush song I've liked since the very first time I've heard it. Freewill is a contender as well.

Note the concentration of 1977-1981 material near the top. There's no doubting there's 4 quality albums in a row that are almost unmatched in rock music.

I would through in 2112 and call it 5.... :)

• Like 1

Note the concentration of 1977-1981 material near the top. There's no doubting there's 4 quality albums in a row that are almost unmatched in rock music.

haha I was editing my post when you replied with this.

• Like 2

^^^

Besides most of the list being wrong, this is a prime example of why these lists are just opinion pieces.

I would love to see Rush ask their fans to do a 180 song ranking and publish the results. I think it wouldn't end up being that far off, but we really wouldn't know until such a sizable undertaking was.... undertaken.

Obviously there's plenty to question with a ranking of that many songs. But what really stuck out for me was Countdown at #12. I mean I like the song, but it ain't nowhere near their top 20.

Agree, it has never been a track I liked. It just seems trite. After almost 30 years with the song, my opinion of it has changed not so much.

Great example though of the risk taking I was citing in the Presto thread. They had an idea, went full ahead with it, and IMO fell short (by a wide margin).

• Like 1

^^^

I would love to see Rush ask their fans to do a 180 song ranking and publish the results. I think it wouldn't end up being that far off, but we really wouldn't know until such a sizable undertaking was.... undertaken.

All I know is that one of my favorite rap tunes is near the bottom.... :P

I would like to see Rush's producers and engineers create a list (and maybe the road crew)

Indeed

Among the accomplishments by Rush, I think they had a very impressive run of bettering themselves every time out for their first 8 studio albums. No small feat.

^^^

I probably wouldn't be able to do one.

Aside from about a dozen or so songs at most that I'm not too much into, the remainder I very much enjoy and can't really differentiate all that much without being arbitrary about it.

• Like 1

^^^

I probably wouldn't be able to do one.

Aside from about a dozen or so songs at most that I'm not too much into, the remainder I very much enjoy and can't really differentiate all that much without being arbitrary about it.

yeah, I can group the songs into my absolute faves/the quite good but not my faves/and the kinda crummy ones which are only a few for me but it's like waffles and pancakes - which one I like better? the one I'm eating at the moment

• Like 1

Indeed

Among the accomplishments by Rush, I think they had a very impressive run of bettering themselves every time out for their first 8 studio albums. No small feat.

If you ask them, they'd likely tell you Clockwork Angels was their best because it was their latest. Ever band member I've ever heard talk about their records, all have said they're latest record is their best yet. It would be odd for a band member to say they think an earlier album would be better than the latest release.

Indeed

If you ask them, they'd likely tell you Clockwork Angels was their best because it was their latest. Ever band member I've ever heard talk about their records, all have said they're latest record is their best yet. It would be odd for a band member to say they think an earlier album would be better than the latest release.

Might be difficult to argue the Rupert Hine albums being a cut above the previous but everything else is fair game in my opinion.