Peart----- You won't believe this :0

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 tks95747

tks95747

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

https://thebrightspo...m=outbrain-obdt

Sponsored Post

#2 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6468 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:53 PM

What's to not believe? That's all in all quite a solid list imo, and though I rank Peart at #1, I totally get the argument for Bonham at #1 and Peart at #2, and there were a number of great selections that often get forgotten about in other greatest drummer lists.

#3 tks95747

tks95747

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:Rush, music of all types, songwriting, guitar, piano, computer-based music production, movies, cats.

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 December 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

What's to not believe? That's all in all quite a solid list imo, and though I rank Peart at #1, I totally get the argument for Bonham at #1 and Peart at #2, and there were a number of great selections that often get forgotten about in other greatest drummer lists.
It is all a matter of opinion, but I don't see John Bonham even in the same hemisphere (excuse me) as Neil... Technical prowess, precision, creativity and on and on and on....all go to Pratt in my book.  But my book is the only one in my library ;)

#4 taurus

taurus

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:18 PM

What I don't believe is that they used a photo of Alan White in the Bill Bruford spot. I mean they (the compilers of the list) are soooo knowledgeable of all things Bill Bruford that they named him 5th best rock drummer of all time!! Surely they would know what Bruford looks like. Or maybe they just picked names up 2nd hand and are regurgitating shit we've read a thousand times. And maybe we need not to be curious about best of lists.

Sorry about the snark but "best of" lists? Let's try and not give a shit eh?

#5 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12068 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

I take more issue with Alex Van Halen at 25 than I do with Peart at number two. No shame coming in behind Bonham.

#6 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12068 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:53 PM

Oh yeah, ranking the greatest rock drummers ever is so 1990s.

#7 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6468 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:36 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 18 December 2018 - 10:52 PM, said:

I take more issue with Alex Van Halen at 25 than I do with Peart at number two. No shame coming in behind Bonham.

Yeah, I love the Stones as much as the next guy, but no way Charlie Watts is top 10 while Alex Van Halen barely makes the list. Phill Collins would also be an easy top ten for me, especially since they seem to know their prog drummers.

#8 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6468 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:39 PM

View Posttks95747, on 18 December 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

It is all a matter of opinion, but I don't see John Bonham even in the same hemisphere (excuse me) as Neil... Technical prowess, precision, creativity and on and on and on....all go to Pratt in my book.  But my book is the only one in my library ;)

That's a fine opinion, but you must realize how revered Bonham is as a drummer? He's consistently listed as number 1 or 2 (usually only surpassed by Peart) in any greatest drummer list I've ever read. Musicianship isn't all about technical prowess a la Peart to many people, but much more about feel and humanity. Bonham has these qualities in droves.

#9 tas7

tas7

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:15 AM

View Posttaurus, on 18 December 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

What I don't believe is that they used a photo of Alan White in the Bill Bruford spot. I mean they (the compilers of the list) are soooo knowledgeable of all things Bill Bruford that they named him 5th best rock drummer of all time!! Surely they would know what Bruford looks like. Or maybe they just picked names up 2nd hand and are regurgitating shit we've read a thousand times. And maybe we need not to be curious about best of lists.

And ironically Alan White should be in the list.

#10 grasbo

grasbo

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:32 AM

Bonham was an amazing drummer and usually played on a kit with a huge bass drum and not much else.He had tremendous power that came from the wrists rather than biceps.But as mentioned he had feel which is so important as a drummer as well as timekeeping.As much as I love Neil’s playing and technical prowess Bohnham truly deserves number #1.Yes I hate these polls because nobody is the best,because somewhere up in the hills or a desert island there is going to be a drummer or guitarist who kicks ass

#11 grasbo

grasbo

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:36 AM

Also forgive if I am wrong ,but on the list they mention Carmine Appice was in Dio when it was only Vinnie

#12 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12068 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:35 AM

View Postgrasbo, on 19 December 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

Also forgive if I am wrong ,but on the list they mention Carmine Appice was in Dio when it was only Vinnie

I thought they had that wrong. I figured maybe Carmine toured with Dio or something. But yeah, Vinnie Appice was always Dio's guy. Wherever Dio went Vinnie almost always followed.

Further proof the person who made this list has no clue is Dave Grohl being so high.

#13 edhunter

edhunter

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3767 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:33 AM

I haven't looked at it. But if it doesn't include Phil Rudd, and have him in the top 3 and ahead of Neil, it's a bullshit list.

Folks, Neil is NOT a good rock drummer. No feel. No groove. He a robot, programmed to jerk off all over the place.

#14 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1336 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:42 AM

Mike Portnoy once said, "There is no best drummer just a favourite drummer," or something to that affect.  I didn't bother to look at the list... okay, I started to and then stopped when I saw Tommy Lee as number 24.  Okay.........

#15 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12068 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:32 AM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 19 December 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

Mike Portnoy once said, "There is no best drummer just a favourite drummer," or something to that affect.  I didn't bother to look at the list... okay, I started to and then stopped when I saw Tommy Lee as number 24.  Okay.........

Mike Portnoy's favorite drummer is Mike Portnoy.

#16 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19563 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:05 AM

View Postedhunter, on 19 December 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

I haven't looked at it. But if it doesn't include Phil Rudd, and have him in the top 3 and ahead of Neil, it's a bullshit list.

Folks, Neil is NOT a good rock drummer. No feel. No groove. He a robot, programmed to jerk off all over the place.
:facepalm:

#17 tks95747

tks95747

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

View Posttaurus, on 18 December 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

Would you be as dismissive of a "Worst Drummers" list that put Neil at number 24?

#18 tks95747

tks95747

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

Totally agree with the Alex VH comment.

#19 tks95747

tks95747

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:51 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 December 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

Yeah, I love the Stones as much as the next guy, but no way Charlie Watts is top 10 while Alex Van Halen barely makes the list. Phill Collins would also be an easy top ten for me, especially since they seem to know their prog drummers.
IKR...I almost spat out my drink when I saw Charlie Watts in the top ten... :laughing guy:

#20 tks95747

tks95747

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:52 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 December 2018 - 11:39 PM, said:

View Posttks95747, on 18 December 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

That's a fine opinion, but you must realize how revered Bonham is as a drummer? He's consistently listed as number 1 or 2 (usually only surpassed by Peart) in any greatest drummer list I've ever read. Musicianship isn't all about technical prowess a la Peart to many people, but much more about feel and humanity. Bonham has these qualities in droves.
And I equally respect your opinion...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users