Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 23014 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostRutlefan, on 19 April 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 19 April 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

Another of mine:

The first concert I ever saw was AC/DC on the For Those About to Rock tour at the "Gahden."  There was talk before the show that they weren't going to be able to use the cannons because the old building wouldn't be able to handle the reverberations.

I still remember watching the bell slowly come down from the rafters to open the show like it was this morning.  They were, by far, the loudest band I've ever seen.

I saw them at the Capital Centre outside D.C. in high school on that same tour. I can remember sitting in geometry the next day not being able to follow what the teacher was saying because my ears were buzzing (literally). It took a couple days for the buzzing to go away completely. Only concert that's ever done that to me.

I saw them again in August 2015 at Gillette Stadium.  My head was ringing the next day after that one too.

Sponsored Post

#62 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9615 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 19 April 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

View Posttangy, on 19 April 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 19 April 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

college has somehow led me to listen to:

metal
grunge
00's pop-punk / emo
rap
more obscure prog
pop
and even a little more jazz

so much music, so little time

Good going. College was when i branched out musically.

I would recommend some reggae and funk to round things out.

Surprisingly those haven't made the list yet!

Any recs? Obvious ones are welcome as well.

Funk- james brown. Parliament & p- funk. Rick james. The funky meters.  Are old school.

Newer funk i like is lettuce. Snarky puppy too.

Reggae. Cant go wrong starting with bob marley. Other then him my fave is steel pulse. True democracy is the classic pulse recording.
Enjoy the journey.

Definitely check out james brown if nothing else.

#63 custom55

custom55

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6528 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

On deck shows:
    moe. - Apr
    Leo Kottke - Apr
    Dead & Co. - June
    Foo Fighters - Jul
    Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Jul
    Brian Wilson - Dec

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:47 PM

Forgot this one...

See Woodstock movie opening night in NYC.   We were late to the theater so we had to sit in the front row.   The sound was good but we got stiff necks.  

Looking up at the screen and seeing the following band gave me an out of body experience.   I was very familiar with the band and their music but never saw them live.

OMG

PT was a musical God that night

Edited by custom55, 19 April 2018 - 06:54 PM.

#64 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 720 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

View Posttangy, on 19 April 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

metal
grunge
00's pop-punk / emo
rap
more obscure prog
pop

Funk- james brown. Parliament & p- funk. Rick james. The funky meters.  Are old school.

Newer funk i like is lettuce. Snarky puppy too.

Reggae. Cant go wrong starting with bob marley. Other then him my fave is steel pulse. True democracy is the classic pulse recording.
Enjoy the journey.

Definitely check out james brown if nothing else.

Maggot Brain- Funkadelic. Eddie Hazel is an under rated guitarist. Great stuff!

Check out 24-7 Spyz (older) for some great rock/funk/metal. Jimi Hazel is a great guitarist as well (hence taking Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Hazel as his name)

You gave the right places to start for sure. Also- although they changed a lot, Black Uhuru has a ton of great Reggae.

#65 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7203 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:03 AM

View PostMosher, on 19 April 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

Maggot Brain- Funkadelic. Eddie Hazel is an under rated guitarist. Great stuff!

I love this stuff. Funkadelic and Parliament are full of underrated musicians. Check out Michael Hampton's solos on the live version of Cosmic Slop:

#66 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31539 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:21 AM

View PostBigbobby10, on 19 April 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

An interesting concept.

My first concert was Rush when I was 13 in 2013

My Dad's first concert was Rush when he was 13 in 1983

My first concert was Rush when I was 10 in early ‘83.

#67 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 23014 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

metal
grunge
00's pop-punk / emo
rap
more obscure prog
pop

Check out Prince's 1999 album.  And The Time's Ice Cream Castles.  Great funk albums.

For reggae, I'm not a big Bob Marley fan to be honest.  I do like his son, Ziggy though.

#68 Syrinx

Syrinx

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

Ziggy Marley is awesome!

#69 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 56857 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostSyrinx, on 19 April 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

So so many!
- the first album I bought with my own money - Donny Osmond
- my first concert (improved musical taste!) The Guess Who
- discovering Rush early and seeing them so many times at Maple Leaf Gardens and other Toronto venues
- playing "drums" on my mother's pots and pans and pillows, with sticks from the backyard, for years until they finally relented and bought me my first drum set when I was 14
- setting up that drum set and playing along to ZZ Top Tush album
- my first bands in high school doing covers of Working Man, Hendrix and others
- tons and tons of concerts(another thread altogether)
- getting amazing tickets to Led Zeppelin in Montreal through a family friend, only to get the news that John Bonham had died
- seeing The Who in Keith Moon's last concert before he died
- listening to all of my father's record's and discovering Sinatra and other legends as a young kid
- rediscovering the drums in my 40's and starting a new band - several bands later, still playing at 56 and getting the rush of playing to an appreciative audience
- hearing Stewart Copeland with the Police for the first time
- meeting my idol Buddy Rich

That's a start for now!
:goodone:

#70 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 4598 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

To all those recommending funk and reggae to me, I bought a Sublime album today. I know, I know, not actually the same thing, but it is closely related in some senses and has me feeling reggae will follow closely.

#71 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 56857 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 20 April 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

To all those recommending funk and reggae to me, I bought a Sublime album today. I know, I know, not actually the same thing, but it is closely related in some senses and has me feeling reggae will follow closely.
A good place to dive in.  Just reggae enough.  And full of fun lyrics.

#72 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9615 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

View Postgoose, on 20 April 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

A good place to dive in.  Just reggae enough.  And full of fun lyrics.

Right on.

#73 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 56857 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

Another big influence on me over the years was my students.  They would bring in cds they burned for me, mostly of alternative music.  They got me into bands like Franz Ferdinand, Shiny Toy Guns, Urge Overkill, Mars Volta.  In turn, I gifted them my coolest vinyl albums.

#74 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31539 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:01 PM

Can’t really go wrong with any Bob Marley & The Wailers album. I guess if I had to recommend a non-compilation album I’d go wth Exodus.

Something like Redemption Song (which isn’t on Exodus) doesn’t feel like a reggae song to me. Is it more akin to a Bob Dylan folk song? It’s just a great song period.

I don’t care about genres. It only matters if I like a song or not.

I used to listen to Sublime in the 90s. I never thought of them as reggae though, just fun kind of music.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 20 April 2018 - 10:04 PM.

#75 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 72480 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

View Postgoose, on 15 April 2018 - 12:04 AM, said:

AM radio and 45s were a link to the world of music.  I used to listen to an old transistor radio in my room for hours on end.  I still have those early 70s classics indelibly stamped on my brain... Run, Joey, Run...One Tin Soldier...

In my grandmother's basement was an old turntable and my mother's childhood 45rpm single of Elvis' "Teddy Bear".  I played that 100s of times as a little kid, over and over, memorizing every word and note.  An aunt hooked me up with an odd box of 45s that included the Righteous Bros "Rock and Roll Heaven" and a version of "You're So Vain" done by the Odd Couple (Tony Randall and Jack Klugman), of all people.  :P

As a kid that moved constantly and attended thirteen different schools, it was nice to know that music was always there.
One Tin Soldier?

Ahhh, THAT explains why you're a Satanist.

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, to the best of my knowledge, goose is not a Satanist.   You can never be too careful around here, though.

#76 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 56857 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:33 PM

laughedatbytime, on 20 April 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

goose, on 15 April 2018 - 12:04 AM, said:

AM radio and 45s were a link to the world of music.  I used to listen to an old transistor radio in my room for hours on end.  I still have those early 70s classics indelibly stamped on my brain... Run, Joey, Run...One Tin Soldier...

In my grandmother's basement was an old turntable and my mother's childhood 45rpm single of Elvis' "Teddy Bear".  I played that 100s of times as a little kid, over and over, memorizing every word and note.  An aunt hooked me up with an odd box of 45s that included the Righteous Bros "Rock and Roll Heaven" and a version of "You're So Vain" done by the Odd Couple (Tony Randall and Jack Klugman), of all people.  :P

As a kid that moved constantly and attended thirteen different schools, it was nice to know that music was always there.
One Tin Soldier?

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, to the best of my knowledge, goose is not a Satanist.   You can never be too careful around here, though.
"goosifer"

#77 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 6696 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

View Postgoose, on 20 April 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 20 April 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 15 April 2018 - 12:04 AM, said:

One Tin Soldier?

"goosifer"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#78 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

The Seeker

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Playing and listening to music, reading about history, and having a good time talking with other Rush fans.

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:10 PM

I think for me personally, getting into Michael Jackson was my biggest musical milestone. I was so drawn into his music by the melodies and of course his incredible dance moves. My first MJ album was Thriller and still to this day, remains one of my favorite albums of all time. Over the course of the following six months or so, my life was all Michael Jackson. I wanted to be him, look like him, everything. I even went as far as dancing to Smooth Criminal for my school's talent show in 3rd grade. Originally, I wanted to dance to Billie Jean but I guess crotch grabs weren't allowed at Catholic schools even though I had a way to get around that by either putting my hand on my thigh or on my abdomen to get away with doing some kinda grab. The funny thing was that I snuck in Billie Jean dance moves into Smooth Criminal to kinda "protest" the rejection of Billie Jean. It worked out fine for me but when I look at now, I just looked awkward doing it since I thought I looked nothing like Michael to be doing his moves.

#79 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9615 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:43 AM

JohnnyBlaze, on 20 April 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

Entre_Perpetuo, on 20 April 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Can’t really go wrong with any Bob Marley & The Wailers album. I guess if I had to recommend a non-compilation album I’d go wth Exodus.

Something like Redemption Song (which isn’t on Exodus) doesn’t feel like a reggae song to me. Is it more akin to a Bob Dylan folk song? It’s just a great song period.

I don’t care about genres. It only matters if I like a song or not.

I used to listen to Sublime in the 90s. I never thought of them as reggae though, just fun kind of music.

It is fun and i agree its not full on reggae

They must have some enduring popularity because a tribute band tolls through town regularly. I think they are called badfish?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blah blah blah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users