Quentin Tarantino is making a Star Trek movie

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Quentin Trek (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your thoughts on Tarantino directing a Star Trek movie?

1. Awesome! (6 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. It could be good. You never know. (4 votes [14.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. I don’t care really. I may give it a shot. (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. Terrible terrible idea. (16 votes [59.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32713 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

View PostRushman14, on 22 January 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 20 January 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

View PostKenJennings, on 20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 20 January 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 19 December 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 11 December 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostKenJennings, on 11 December 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 December 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 09 December 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

Sigh...Star Trek should be something for all ages. There are sci-fi franchises to get your R rating or how about Tarantino do something original?

Besides that, Star Trek Beyond got some pretty good reviews. I thought it was decent and a thousand times better than that Into Darkness crap. It at least looked like Trek was headed in the right direction with Beyond.

Agreed.

Star Trek Beyond is easily the most 'true to Trek' thing that's been produced in the post-Enterprise era.
Really? After arriving at Yorktown Station it felt like the Darkness crap.
The Final Fronteir is probably the worst Trek film ever.

Fixed.

At least Darkness didn’t have that stupid campfire scene of “row row row your boat.”

That's a great scene! Star Trek V has issues, but the Kirk-Spock-McCoy relationship was never better. It's got a ton of great character moments, and is always entertaining to watch as a result. Never mind the fact that the movie makes very little sense, it's still got a lot of positive takeaways.

I always liked Star Trek 2, 4 and 6.

The odd number films sucked Vulcan vulture culture vulvas.

Signed,

The Alan Parsons Project

LOL

Star Trek 3 is underrated.

It's been years man.  I saw "The Search For Spock" in the theater.  I was bored to tears.  Didn't Nimoy direct that steaming pile of poop?

Not a fan at all.  Doesn't Spock's dead body land on a planet going through Genesis or Evolution?  Hence Spock is "resurrected??"   Meh

Sponsored Post

#62 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 22 January 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

View PostRushman14, on 22 January 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 20 January 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

View PostKenJennings, on 20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 20 January 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 19 December 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 11 December 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostKenJennings, on 11 December 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 December 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 09 December 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

Sigh...Star Trek should be something for all ages. There are sci-fi franchises to get your R rating or how about Tarantino do something original?

Besides that, Star Trek Beyond got some pretty good reviews. I thought it was decent and a thousand times better than that Into Darkness crap. It at least looked like Trek was headed in the right direction with Beyond.

Agreed.

Star Trek Beyond is easily the most 'true to Trek' thing that's been produced in the post-Enterprise era.
Really? After arriving at Yorktown Station it felt like the Darkness crap.
The Final Fronteir is probably the worst Trek film ever.

Fixed.

At least Darkness didn’t have that stupid campfire scene of “row row row your boat.”

That's a great scene! Star Trek V has issues, but the Kirk-Spock-McCoy relationship was never better. It's got a ton of great character moments, and is always entertaining to watch as a result. Never mind the fact that the movie makes very little sense, it's still got a lot of positive takeaways.

I always liked Star Trek 2, 4 and 6.

The odd number films sucked Vulcan vulture culture vulvas.

Signed,

The Alan Parsons Project

LOL

Star Trek 3 is underrated.

It's been years man.  I saw "The Search For Spock" in the theater.  I was bored to tears.  Didn't Nimoy direct that steaming pile of poop?

Not a fan at all.  Doesn't Spock's dead body land on a planet going through Genesis or Evolution?  Hence Spock is "resurrected??"   Meh

This might not be saying much but I liked it more than Parts I, V, VII, IX, and X.

I disliked the premise of Part IV (The Voyage Home) but the crew’s interaction and the movie’s overall light-heartedness make it more enjoyable than Part III. Still, The Search for Spock isn’t a bad movie.

#63 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 28334 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

#64 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 28334 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image

#65 That One Guy

That One Guy

Straight Outta Sunnyvale

• Members *
  • 25894 posts
  • Interests:The boys, cold ones, cracking, the latest fajita at Arby's

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:49 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 December 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

There hasn’t been a Tarantino flick I liked entirely in 20 years.
Not even Django?

#66 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostThat One Guy, on 13 March 2018 - 12:49 AM, said:

Not even Django?

I liked it up until...
Spoiler
After that it felt like Tarantino was on autopilot...which I think he’s been like post-Jackie Brown.

I feel a somewhat similar thing about Inglouirous Basterds as I liked the Shosanna storyline but didn’t enjoy how the other parts were handled. I dislike Brad Pitt and Eli Roth so that hurts it too

#67 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 35238 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:59 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 13 March 2018 - 02:54 AM, said:

Not even Django?

I liked it up until...
Spoiler
After that it felt like Tarantino was on autopilot...which I think he’s been like post-Jackie Brown.

I feel a somewhat similar thing about Inglouirous Basterds as I liked the Shosanna storyline but didn’t enjoy how the other parts were handled. I dislike Brad Pitt and Eli Roth so that hurts it too

Everything about Inglourious Basterds was great aside from the inglourious basterds. You liked the Shosanna storyline? I encourage you to watch Black Book! One of my top five movies and I swear visually and thematically Tarantino tried to out do it. He failed.

But in the Shosanna storyline, he got close.

#68 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:52 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 13 March 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 13 March 2018 - 02:54 AM, said:

Not even Django?

I liked it up until...
Spoiler

Everything about Inglourious Basterds was great aside from the inglourious basterds. You liked the Shosanna storyline? I encourage you to watch Black Book! One of my top five movies and I swear visually and thematically Tarantino tried to out do it. He failed.

But in the Shosanna storyline, he got close.

I remember you told me the same thing 2-3 years ago but I’m a lazy bastard (not an inglorious one :P ) and never got around to checking out Black Book

#69 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60753 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 27 January 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

Brilliant!!!!

:lol:

#70 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

View Postgoose, on 13 March 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 27 January 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

Brilliant!!!!

:lol:

There’s a good chance that that mock trailer will be better than a realized Tarantino Trek movie :yes:

#71 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 20641 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

I've heard a few rumors about Tarantino's pitch, and I'm getting the impression that CBS and Paramount are looking to re-integrate the property, so his story could involve time travel to resolve the schism in the timeline. I've heard him suggest that City on the Edge of Forever and Yesterday's Enterprise are episodes that he's drawn inspiration from.

This is something I'd love to see, and if he can pull it off, more power to him!

I'm not a fan of Tarantino's work historically; but recent comments have surprised me about his apparent knowlege and interest in the franchise. I've long believed that Star Trek needs an insider to get it right: someone that truly knows and loves the property. So if Tarantino is really a card carrying member of the tribe, I'm going to be willing to give him a chance.

I mean, It can't be worse than Discovery.

Edited by KenJennings, 23 March 2018 - 07:52 AM.

#72 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

View PostKenJennings, on 23 March 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

I've heard a few rumors about Tarantino's pitch, and I'm getting the impression that CBS and Paramount are looking to re-integrate the property, so his story could involve time travel to resolve the schism in the timeline. I've heard him suggest that City on the Edge of Forever and Yesterday's Enterprise are episodes that he's drawn inspiration from.

This is something I'd love to see, and if he can pull it off, more power to him!

I'm not a fan of Tarantino's work historically; but recent comments have surprised me about his apparent knowlege and interest in the franchise. I've long believed that Star Trek needs an insider to get it right: someone that truly knows and loves the property. So if Tarantino is really a card carrying member of the tribe, I'm going to be willing to give him a chance.

Two high quality episodes! They’re excellent choices to work off of :yes:

Tarantino’s a total pop culture geek so it’s not surprising that he’s really into Trek, especially the original series.

#73 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 19723 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Unless it gets an R.  I don’t care if it’s Tarantino.  You don’t do G rated Saw so why bother making Star Trek R?  That’s just a slap in the face to many generations of Trekkies.

#74 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 23 March 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Unless it gets an R.  I don’t care if it’s Tarantino.  You don’t do G rated Saw so why bother making Star Trek R?  That’s just a slap in the face to many generations of Trekkies.

Don’t know about it being “a slap in the face” but yeah there’s no reason for Trek to be R.

It doesn’t really bother me though. I’d decide whether to see it or not from the trailers, not the rating.

#75 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1404 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

If QT directed, it would HAVE to involve time travel so that real guns could be worked in.  Phasers don't draw blood and any Tarantino film of course must include plenty of that.

Or maybe the R rating will come from Spock getting to say the "N" word about 30 times.

Still think it's a stupid idea.

#76 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 20641 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

View PostTexMike, on 26 March 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

Phasers don't draw blood and any Tarantino film of course must include plenty of that.

They did in Star Trek 6 when the assassins boarded a Klingon ship in zero G and killed the chancellor. It must be a setting somewhere between stun and kill.

View PostTexMike, on 26 March 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

Or maybe the R rating will come from Spock getting to say the "N" word about 30 times.

Jake Sisko already said it in an episode of Deep Space Nine. Of course, that was done very tastefully.

Edited by KenJennings, 27 March 2018 - 02:00 PM.

#77 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5147 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:20 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 24 March 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Don’t know about it being “a slap in the face” but yeah there’s no reason for Trek to be R.

It doesn’t really bother me though. I’d decide whether to see it or not from the trailers, not the rating.
Art should not be confined to any ratings. Why can't you have an r-rated Star Trek movie? I think it might be awesome to see more blood and gore in Star Trek. After all, most of Star Trek up to now has had fight scenes that were very fake looking. Also, do you really believe that no one will ever use swear words in the future? Let him make the movie before we judge it.

#78 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32171 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

View Postsnowdogged, on 30 March 2018 - 05:20 AM, said:

Art should not be confined to any ratings. Why can't you have an r-rated Star Trek movie? I think it might be awesome to see more blood and gore in Star Trek. After all, most of Star Trek up to now has had fight scenes that were very fake looking. Also, do you really believe that no one will ever use swear words in the future? Let him make the movie before we judge it.

Of course you can have an R-rated Trek. But as I said, I don’t see much of a reason for it. Any failings Trek movies have had weren’t related to their ratings. I highly doubt an R-rating would’ve helped any of the Trek flicks that were crap.
But again, it wouldn’t really bother me if a Trek movie were R though.

As for swearing in the future...the exact wordage will change but of course there will be some. I’m saying I don’t expect 23rd century Scotty swearing like 21st century Sam Jackson...BUT I can imagine Tarantino shoehorning something like that in.

Truly, it comes down to me not liking anything Tarantino’s done (a movie of his in its entirety that is) in twenty years.

#79 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5147 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 30 March 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

View Postsnowdogged, on 30 March 2018 - 05:20 AM, said:

Of course you can have an R-rated Trek. But as I said, I don’t see much of a reason for it. Any failings Trek movies have had weren’t related to their ratings. I highly doubt an R-rating would’ve helped any of the Trek flicks that were crap.
But again, it wouldn’t really bother me if a Trek movie were R though.

As for swearing in the future...the exact wordage will change but of course there will be some. I’m saying I don’t expect 23rd century Scotty swearing like 21st century Sam Jackson...BUT I can imagine Tarantino shoehorning something like that in.

Truly, it comes down to me not liking anything Tarantino’s done (a movie of his in its entirety that is) in twenty years.
The rating has nothing to do with it, but Tarantino just naturally writes r-rated and if he can deliver a top notch script then we are going to probably have the best Star Trek movie yet. I didn't care much for Tarantino's last film but I still think he has some great scripts left in him.

Edited by snowdogged, 31 March 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#80 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

Tarantino has a very juvenile approach to film making in my opinion. It's as if his target audience is fifteen year old boys. Also, along those same lines it's as though he makes films for the sole purpose of seeing what he can get away with and sometimes how gratuitous he can be. I can almost hear him saying to himself things like "this is going to be cool. Nobody is going to see this coming." I just don't see how his film making ability and style would translate well to a Star Trek movie.

Edited by New_World_Man, 06 April 2018 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users