Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour in 2018- who’s interested?

Blue J

I believe I am...Ian Anderson may be diminished in comparison to days gone by, but I’ll bet he’ll still be putting on some very special shows.

Coming to my neck of the woods in September of next year- and tickets are already on sale!

• Like 4

Honestly, I would pass too.

I know most here wouldn't or don't agree with what I'm about to say, but there's nothing like having seen these men in their prime. They are long past that now. It's just not the same.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I saw Ian solo in 2006 and JT on their fortieth anniversary tour two years later so I'm good. I prefer to remember them as they were.

I still think the proper band should have done one final album called "this is" where they are dressed up as babies with puppies on the cover(the exact opposite of their very first album). :)

• Like 2

My brother saw Ian Anderson this past summer and enjoyed the show. He had particularly high praise for his band. But he did say that his voice has gone downhill a lot. Ian is 70 so he expected that going in. Edited by J2112YYZ

I've never seen JT live, so I think I'll check out this tour. They'll play at the Budweiser Stage here next year.

Yeah, this was my reasoning, too. I never got to see Tull, and certainly not in their prime. But I am interested in this. Diminished though he may be, I still love Ian’s music, so I’m sort of excited for this.

• Like 1

I'm lucky, having already seen Tull live twice, with the Anderson, Barre, Perry, Giddings, Noyce lineup. A great show, both times.
  • Like 2

Not me. I saw Ian two weeks ago; the show was called "Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson". I'd consider myself a pretty serious Tull fan; since the early 80's and "Songs from the Wood" (SW 5.1 mix) spent time in heavy rotation earlier this year - but I never had the chance to see Tull live... Last Fall, I missed Martin Barre because my band had a gig.. anyway, I would have to say I was very disappointed. As others have pointed out, and a little research on youtube would have confirmed, Ian's voice is beyond fried. Wow. It is painfully obvious that he was struggling - not hitting any notes, pulling away from the microphone, changing phases (in the worst way), having recorded vocals (with cringe inducing synchronized videos), other band members singing, etc. It really just didn't cut it. His flute playing, However, was really good and entertaining. But this only slightly offset the abomination of vocal distress. The band - well, they were ok. But they really lacked the fire that I would hope for from JT. The drummer looked as if he might fall asleep at some point - give me Barrimore or Doane any day!! In the end, I guess I felt a little consolation in at least seeing Ian (albeit a dim shadow of his former talent) but overall, it was not good.