Movies People Just Don't Get!

Alex

I hate it when you know that a movie is good but other people don't like it simply because they just didn't understand it! Either that or they just don't see why its good. A good example of this is Watchmen. A lot of people were expecting non-stop action, but its much deeper than that.

How about you guys? Movies you've like that other people just didn't seem to get it?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sideways. I thought is was a great movie, with some very hysterical parts, but a lot of people I talk to say it was horrible. Oh well, their loss. I think that movie was brilliant.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 21 2009, 04:55 PM)
Sideways. I thought is was a great movie, with some very hysterical parts, but a lot of people I talk to say it was horrible. Oh well, their loss. I think that movie was brilliant.

That movie IS brilliant!

"Memento" ~ is another example where my erstwhile friends are either too lazy or plain dumb to even bother to appreciate or understand.

Like those that have already posted, a lot of the headier movies go unappreciated by most of my friends. On the goofier side, Mystery Men is one I love, but just about everyone else seems to hate.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Nov 22 2009, 06:57 AM)
Probably just about every single David Lynch film. I'm a huge fan of Lynch's films but a lot of my friends just don't seem to get them.

don't know about that. i never was a david lynch fan but it sure doesn't mean that not liking them was because of not understanding them.

i thought transformers 2 was shit but i wouldn't say that i didn't get it tongue.gif

I'll agree with the idea JB put forth.

There will always be people who hate the movies you like, and it won't always be because they "don't get" it.

I'm told often enough that I just "don't get" Heavy Metal (among other accusations) . Doesn't mean it's actually a GOOD movie, 'cause it is quite the opposite (a crime against celluloid).

I "got" Field of Dreams. Doesn't mean I have to like it, or think it's any good. I'm perfectly within my rights to think it's a waste of several dozens minutes of life.

QUOTE (Slime @ Nov 22 2009, 01:57 PM)
I'll agree with the idea JB put forth.

There will always be people who hate the movies you like, and it won't always be because they "don't get" it.

I'm told often enough that I just "don't get" Heavy Metal (among other accusations) . Doesn't mean it's actually a GOOD movie, 'cause it is quite the opposite (a crime against celluloid).

I "got" Field of Dreams. Doesn't mean I have to like it, or think it's any good. I'm perfectly within my rights to think it's a waste of several dozens minutes of life.

Totally. trink39.gif

Slime gets Heavy Metal and thinks it's crap. He may have bad taste but he gets it pokey.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Nov 21 2009, 09:57 PM)

You're within your rights, but you're still wrong. tongue.gif That's one of the best movies of all time! yes.gif

Oh ok, IMHO obviously... unsure.gif

I don't know about "people," but there are a lot of movies I love that my wife just doesn't get, and it's usually the really weird dark ones: Brazil, Zardoz and four of my fave David Lynch films ( bekloppt.gif YBT): Lost Highway, Crash, Naked Lunch and eXistenZ. Actually she's only seen Crash and eXistenZ, but I know she'd hate the other ones too.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 06:31 AM)
I "get" David Lynch. I "get" he's a hack.

Two definitions of the word hack:

1. a person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work; one who produces banal and mediocre work in the hope of gaining commercial success in the arts.

2. a professional who renounces or surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward in the performance of a task normally thought of as involving a strong personal commitment.

Sorry man, but like the guy's movies or not, neither apply to his work. He's way to original and independent for that.

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Nov 21 2009, 06:12 PM)
"Memento" ~ is another example where my erstwhile friends are either too lazy or plain dumb to even bother to appreciate or understand.

huh.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 21 2009, 09:21 PM)
Like those that have already posted, a lot of the headier movies go unappreciated by most of my friends. On the goofier side, Mystery Men is one I love, but just about everyone else seems to hate.

I own Mystery Men and I absolutely love it !!!!!! 1022.gif

Are you surprised ? laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2009, 09:52 AM)
I "get" David Lynch.  I "get" he's a hack.

1. a person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work; one who produces banal and mediocre work in the hope of gaining commercial success in the arts.

2. a professional who renounces or surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward in the performance of a task normally thought of as involving a strong personal commitment.

Sorry man, but like the guy's movies or not, neither apply to his work. He's way to original and independent for that.

Nah. He's a hack. He's not as much of a hack as, say, Ron Howard, but he's a hack, nonetheless. He's simply being weird for weird's sake. He's a pretentious hack.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 07:11 AM)

Nah. He's a hack. He's not as much of a hack as, say, Ron Howard, but he's a hack, nonetheless. He's simply being weird for weird's sake. He's a pretentious hack.

laugh.gif

If you say so.

I just went to the IMDB page for Ron Howard - there are at least 10 movies of his I would consider great. There aren't a lot of directors I could say that about.

There are some David Lynch movies that I think are too weird or too disturbing for me to really get into personally, but some of them are pure genius IMHO. Lost Highway especially I consider one of the best movies of all time, though I can see why many wouldn't like it or wouldn't like other movies of his. The guy is genuinely weird without being weird just for the sake of being weird.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2009, 09:11 AM)

Concur.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 22 2009, 10:30 AM)

Concur.

Ron Howard is a hack ? confused13.gif

He has made a few good films.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

These are all good films. I wouldn't exactly call him a hack ? no.gif

In this case, I take "original and independent" to mean "really weird and f*cked up." (I never got the freakout over "Twin Peaks" either). JMO.

Add me to the list of "Memento" lovers. Also "Brazil".

One movie that several people I know liked and I didn't was "Being John Malkovich". It started okay, but about halfway through I was ready to go. (It didn't help that Cameron Diaz' character got on my last nerve).

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2009, 09:42 AM)

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

I was concurring his opinion that Lynch is a hack. I disagree somewhat with applying that label to Ron Howard. Apollo 13 and Backdraft are the only two movies of his that I like, though. I briefly owned A Beautiful Mind, I watched it once and then gave it away. I don't think it deserved the Oscar and would rate the movie as mediocre.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 22 2009, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2009, 09:42 AM)

Concur.

Willow

Splash

Backdraft

Cinderella Man

A Beautiful Mind

Apollo 13

I was concurring his opinion that Lynch is a hack. I disagree somewhat with applying that label to Ron Howard. Apollo 13 and Backdraft are the only two movies of his that I like, though. I briefly owned A Beautiful Mind, I watched it once and then gave it away. I don't think it deserved the Oscar and would rate the movie as mediocre.

Ron Howard has directed some good movies. I particularly enjoy Apollo and like a few things about Ransom. His movies come across as "paint by numbers" movies. He seems to rely on old and true devices, especially his camera work. He "borrows" a lot of his techniques. To me he tells stories in very unoriginal ways. He's not an artist, he's an artisan.

As for David Lynch, like I said before, he's weird for weird's sake. Pretentiousness covering for actual substance or storytelling.