Happy Birthday Clockwork Angels: June 12, 2012

robertrobyn

I got the album the first day it came out. I remember because the next day was the last day of school and I was listening to the entire album that whole day and basically the rest of the summer. Happy birthday to Rush's possibly last studio album (hopefully not though!)
  • Like 1

Really? A Happy Birthday Thread for Clockwork Angels?

How pathetic.

No wonder this Forum is so f***ing boring.

Just like the last Rush record.

Grow up and please write something on here that is interesting.

Sad really.

f**k you. This is interesting.

No, really......it isn't.

How pathetic.

Sad really.

Usually someone creates a thread for the anniversary of every Rush album release on here. So Earl, are all those threads pathetic as well? Or are they only pathetic when it's for an album you don't like? I think I know the answer to that one.

You're the one who needs to grow up. Usually I find your posts very enjoyable and entertaining but this one is very childish and lacks any sort of maturity at all. Why can't someone who's a fan of a particular album create a thread to celebrate it and try to get a discussion going.

It's posts like like the one I quoted from you that make the Rush section suck like it has since R40 ended. Instead of allowing fans to give some love to an album they like, you decide to come in and shit on the thread and make yourself look like a jackass. If you don't like the album that's fine. But why should it bother you that fans of it may want to talk about it on the anniversary of it's release?

• Like 7

How pathetic.

Sad really.

Usually someone creates a thread for the anniversary of every Rush album release on here. So Earl, are all those threads pathetic as well? Or are they only pathetic when it's for an album you don't like? I think I know the answer to that one.

You're the one who needs to grow up. Usually I find your posts very enjoyable and entertaining but this one is very childish and lacks any sort of maturity at all. Why can't someone who's a fan of a particular album create a thread to celebrate it and try to get a discussion going.

It's posts like like the one I quoted from you that make the Rush section suck like it has since R40 ended. Instead of allowing fans to give some love to an album they like, you decide to come in and shit on the thread and make yourself look like a jackass. If you don't like the album that's fine. But why should it bother you that fans of it may want to talk about it on the anniversary of it's release?

It's not one of my favorites either but I'm not going to come in and crap all over the thread about it. It has some redeeming qualities. Even Presto does. :P

Great album that has aged well over the last 4 years. It is easily better than the previous two albums and the band's 1982-1989 output. A band making an album this good this deep into their careers is rare, but if anyone could do it, it doesn't surprise me that it's Rush.
  • Like 2

A nice album.

Shades of greatness.

But honestly outside the Rush fanbase no one could care less about it, and for good reason.

Once the hype died I realised my obsession did as well.

The good thing is is that by that point I owned every Rush album and new where the true greatness lies.

Still a nice album though. Deserves praise, but in no way was it as great as that hype suggested.

I think you are wrong here. I just scoured the internet for CA reviews from all kinds of different music sites. I read dozens of reviews and it seems CA got universal appraise across the board. These are not necessarily Rush fans, just music critics and fans.

Yeah hype.

I wasn't wrong there.

Four years on few still talk about the album outside the fanbase.

Who cares if no one outside the fan base talks about it? The most important thing when any band releases a new album is that the band and the fan base likes it. Especially when you've been around as long as Rush has. As long as they're happy with the album and the majority of their fans are as well, which seems to be the case, then that's all that matters in the end.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

Where did four years go?I haven't played it in a while, better dust it off.Gone are the days when an artist would release an album every year or two.Rush have had more dvd releases than studio albums since VT.I must admit I have to be in the mood for CA for sole reason of the wall of sound,compression,loudness wars,whatever it is,that after playing it makes me want to listen to some Bhuddist calming cd or James Taylor.Don't worry I may be getting old but i still love a bludgeoning Tony Iommi riff and i love how my guitar amps shake the house but unfortunately CA production makes my ears hurt(like when I forgot to take earplugs to that Yngwie Fiddlesteen gig)

Clearly in my top 7-8 Rush albums ever. Easily the best since Hold Your Fire for my taste. Like LedRush mentioned the amazing thing that sticks out is how late in their career arc they made an album like this. A decent possibility this will be the last full studio release and a hell of way to cap off a career if I may say so.

Some serious long term classic Rush songs for the core fan base on this dity.

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

The Wreckers

The Garden

All those tunes to me oooze classic Rush. All have the great traits of a lot of my favorite songs from them. I felt this album really meshed the mid 80's sound with the early 70's prog years so well. It was a great walk down memory lane in a way. So many great riffs, melodies and memories. The tour was majestic. Having the Clockwork Angels Orchestra behind them was special. So glad they did that. The set list for me was amazing. All those 80's tunes and then almost the entire album straight through (saw both the A and B set-lists too which was great).

• Like 2

A nice album.

Shades of greatness.

But honestly outside the Rush fanbase no one could care less about it, and for good reason.

The good thing is is that by that point I owned every Rush album and new where the true greatness lies.

Still a nice album though. Deserves praise, but in no way was it as great as that hype suggested.

I think you are wrong here. I just scoured the internet for CA reviews from all kinds of different music sites. I read dozens of reviews and it seems CA got universal appraise across the board. These are not necessarily Rush fans, just music critics and fans.

Here's a pretty thorough review catalog that I made. Got a ton of great press, really have to look hard to find a less that great review:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/75916-tombstone-mountains-review-thread/

• Like 1

CA's current report card...

Caravan: C

BU2B: B

Clockwork Angels: B

Anarchist: A

Carnies: B

Halo Effect: D

Seven Cities of Gold: C

Wreckers: C

Headlong Flight: A

BU2B2: F

Wish Them Well: D

Garden: C

...which leaves an overall GPA of 2.25.

I believe CA is or, at least, should be better than that. I think 4 years ago I probably would've given it a 3.0 overall.

But it is what it is and whatever.

• Like 1

I believe CA is or, at least, should be better than that. I think 4 years ago I probably would've given it a 3.0 overall.

Dude you gave BU2B2 an F...you gave an interlude an F?!? Cray cray my man.

I gave a track an F. If they were willing to put it as its own track then it's fair game.

Here, Broon's Bane: A

;)

I gave a track an F. If they were willing to put it as its own track then it's fair game.

Here, Broon's Bane: A

;)

Or I guess if I removed it entirely from the album, CA would have 11 tracks with an overall 2.45 GPA.

But I can't remove it! It's there! It was part of their artistic vision. Nooooo.......

A nice album.

Shades of greatness.

Yeah hype.

I wasn't wrong there.

Four years on few still talk about the album outside the fanbase.

Who cares if no one outside the fan base talks about it? The most important thing when any band releases a new album is that the band and the fan base likes it. Especially when you've been around as long as Rush has. As long as they're happy with the album and the majority of their fans are as well, which seems to be the case, then that's all that matters in the end.

I see where you come from and I agree.

But I also think this album is way overrated by the fanbase.

AND MY SPIRIT IS AN AMAZING SONG.

Hehe

I have to disagree...

Caravan: B

BU2B: A

Clockwork Angels: C

The Anarchist: B+

Carnies: C

Halo Effect: B

Seven Cities of Gold: B

The Wreckers: A

Headlong Flight: B

BU2B2: D-

Wish Them Well: C+

The Garden: B+

With my grading, Clockwork Angels has a 2.8 GPA.

Caravan: B+

BU2B: B+

Clockwork Angels: A

The Anarchist: A-

Carnies: B+

Halo Effect: A-

Seven Cities of Gold: C+

The Wreckers: B+

Headlong Flight: A+

Wish Them Well: A-

The Garden: A-

• Like 1

Wait, are those strings I hear? The sound has shifted, or is that now an AM transistor radio playing in the background? I think the station just drifted out? CA, a curious production.

Seriously, some very enjoyable, hard rocking songs on CA.