Tombstone Mountain's Review Thread

Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 22 2012, 09:13 AM)
Another good review, I do hope the younger generation gets into this album. I know my 15 year old daughter and 9 year old son have but they're bias!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I gotta share this with you. My boys are 7 and going on 4. The oldest loves to listen to Caravan and the chorus especially. The youngest looks at the artwork for the song and it just takes him to another world. Anyway, I told them about the story, simplified of course, and they just wanted to listened to every song after that. The seven year old is asking me to pronouce words and everything that he can't read on the lyric sheet. They asked me if the guys in the photo were for real...I then put in Caravan from time machine DVD...They were some air-drumming & air guitaring little monkeys after that...good stuff!!!! Now, we all can't stop thinking big around the house!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 22 2012, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 22 2012, 09:13 AM)
Another good review, I do hope the younger generation gets into this album. I know my 15 year old daughter and 9 year old son have but they're bias!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

I gotta share this with you. My boys are 7 and going on 4. The oldest loves to listen to Caravan and the chorus especially. The youngest looks at the artwork for the song and it just takes him to another world. Anyway, I told them about the story, simplified of course, and they just wanted to listened to every song after that. The seven year old is asking me to pronouce words and everything that he can't read on the lyric sheet. They asked me if the guys in the photo were for real...I then put in Caravan from time machine DVD...They were some air-drumming & air guitaring little monkeys after that...good stuff!!!! Now, we all can't stop thinking big around the house!

trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

On the subject of the story, it is good.  Not as new or interesting as 2112 or Hemispheres....

It is much more grown-up, profound, and thought-provoking than 2112 and Hemispheres. As much as I love those two epics from the past, the story of Clockwork Angels transcends them mightily....

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I dont think the story is nearly as interesting as 2112 or Hemispheres because I loved how Neil wrote in a mildly abstract way back then.

Now he just says what's on his mind. And it's just a typical journey anyone goes through in their lives. It's not as creative as something like Hemispheres was.

All he really did was take a pretty common story and dress it up in a steampunk world which has been done before. Dont see how anyone could even compare this to writing like 2112 or Hemispheres.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2012, 07:56 PM)
And it's just a typical journey anyone goes through in their lives. It's not as creative as something like Hemispheres was.

All he really did was take a pretty common story and dress it up in a steampunk world which has been done before. Dont see how anyone could even compare this to writing like 2112 or Hemispheres.

Yeah, just the other day I was walking through this central square in our city where they have these giant floating religious monuments in the sky.

Then this crazy terrorist guy threw some kind of detonator device at me and I ran out of the city and went off to search for these fabled lost cities.

Then I was on a ship out in the ocean where these pirates put up a false lighthouse so we would crash. They stole all our stuff, so I ended up flying around on this big airship for a while.

Pretty boring stuff. confused13.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 25 2012, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2012, 07:56 PM)
And it's just a typical journey anyone goes through in their lives. It's not as creative as something like Hemispheres was.

Yeah, just the other day I was walking through this central square in our city where they have these giant floating religious monuments in the sky.

Then this crazy terrorist guy threw some kind of detonator device at me and I ran out of the city and went off to search for these fabled lost cities.

Then I was on a ship out in the ocean where these pirates put up a false lighthouse so we would crash. They stole all our stuff, so I ended up flying around on this big airship for a while.

Pretty boring stuff. confused13.gif

Post of the day! you deserve a case of whatever you want!!!

trink39.gif

AAAaaarrggh! Why does the media keep saying CA is Rush's 20th studio album?! It is if you count Feedback and you shouldn't. And if this dude did, it would be Rush's 4th studio album this decade. Is he just reading other people's shit first to brush up on his Rush knowledge? Well, at least he gave a decent review, not that I read even 20% of it.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 26 2012, 08:54 AM)
In the original, Voltaire muses on the concept of hope in times of peril and Neil Peart has taken it and written his own musing on the loss of his daughter, wife and drum mentor in a very short space of time. Anyone familiar with the band will know that Peart disappeared for a long, solitary trip to get over the loss in a year of first his daughter and them his wife and when he returned his drum mentor and teacher, Freddie Gruber, also passed. Anyone else might have produced an album of brooding melancholy and darkness but this is Rush and the album positively quivers with the power and intellectual brio of the band.

What an impressive display of ignorance..... wacko.gif wacko.gif

Selena died in August 1997. Jackie died in June 1998.

Neil remarried in 2000 and returned to the band in 2001.

TEN YEARS LATER.....Freddie Gruber died in 2011.

When will people get it though their heads that Neil Peart is NOT wallowing about in grief and despair every second of the day?? Neil Peart is NOT defined by that period of Hell from FOURTEEN years ago. He has a life, he has a wife and daughter, he has his family, friends, his band......he has a GREAT life. He's more than capable of writing about all the ups of down of his life. His joys, his tragedies, the funny days, the weird days......ALL of it.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 26 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (robertrobyn @ Jun 26 2012, 09:57 AM)
Album of the year! I like the sound of that.

.....and all you naysayers had a go at me when I hinted they would win a grammy with this one.... laugh.gif

The Grammy awards are eight months away. Lots of time for some 2rd-rate pop-rock band to release an album of crap and take the award. Lots of time for the Music Establishment to forget about Rush.....

Awards are great, but I'm not so sure that winning a Grammy really means anything these days. The award has been a joke for so long.....Nothing but lip-service to all the other genres of music.....and the show itself is all about promoting the CRAP pop artist who is hot at the moment. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 26 2012, 10:08 AM)
.....and all you naysayers had a go at me when I hinted they would win a grammy with this one.... laugh.gif[/quote]
The Grammy awards are eight months away.
Awards are great, but I'm not so sure that winning a Grammy really means anything these days.

The award has been a joke for so long.....Nothing but lip-service to all the other genres of music.....and the show itself is all about promoting the CRAP pop artist who is hot at the moment. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

OR the band could sneak in with a Jethro Tull Best Metal Performance steal!!!

1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 26 2012, 10:17 AM)
.....and all you naysayers had a go at me when I hinted they would win a grammy with this one.... laugh.gif

Awards are great, but I'm not so sure that winning a Grammy really means anything these days.

The award has been a joke for so long.....Nothing but lip-service to all the other genres of music.....and the show itself is all about promoting the CRAP pop artist who is hot at the moment. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif [/quote]

1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

Yah, that could happen......and 90% of the pop audience would say, "Who is Rush?"..... wacko.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 26 2012, 10:33 AM)

The award has been a joke for so long.....Nothing but lip-service to all the other genres of music.....and the show itself is all about promoting the CRAP pop artist who is hot at the moment. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif [/quote]
Yah, that could happen......and 90% of the pop audience would say, "Who is Rush?"..... wacko.gif

Help them Obi Wan Kenobi, you're their only hope!

b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 26 2012, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 26 2012, 08:54 AM)
In the original, Voltaire muses on the concept of hope in times of peril and Neil Peart has taken it and written his own musing on the loss of his daughter, wife and drum mentor in a very short space of time. Anyone familiar with the band will know that Peart disappeared for a long, solitary trip to get over the loss in a year of first his daughter and them his wife and when he returned his drum mentor and teacher, Freddie Gruber, also passed. Anyone else might have produced an album of brooding melancholy and darkness but this is Rush and the album positively quivers with the power and intellectual brio of the band.

What an impressive display of ignorance..... wacko.gif wacko.gif

Selena died in August 1997. Jackie died in June 1998.

Neil remarried in 2000 and returned to the band in 2001.

TEN YEARS LATER.....Freddie Gruber died in 2011.

When will people get it though their heads that Neil Peart is NOT wallowing about in grief and despair every second of the day?? Neil Peart is NOT defined by that period of Hell from FOURTEEN years ago. He has a life, he has a wife and daughter, he has his family, friends, his band......he has a GREAT life. He's more than capable of writing about all the ups of down of his life. His joys, his tragedies, the funny days, the weird days......ALL of it.

This is why I feel CA is Neil's best lyrical output since Hold Your Fire.

Positive vibes, exciting stories, adventure, fantasy, revenge, reflection.

Clockwork Angels has it all.

Vapor Trails was pain. And it was felt and heard IMO. Snakes and Arrows was very dark IMO.

CA is Rush being young again. Reaching for something greater. It shows on every song. When was the last time they jammed like this on an album front to back?

Oh I will tell you. Moving Pictures.

Edited by Todem