Has anyone seen Batman v Superman?

ReRushed

I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I read so far I can't see how this result is not Zack Snyder's fault. I think Zack might be a hack.

I've seen one Snyder film (Man Of Steel), so I'm definitely no expert on his work........but if Snyder's idea of making superhero films is just to have lots of action, lots of destruction, with little to no plot or meaning to it all, then yes, he is a hack. He gives the audience no reason to care about any of the characters.

I get the impression he just doesn't get it. Apparently, he's making "grown up" movies, but forgets grown ups want to have fun from time to time. I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not giving any judgement regarding it, I'm only going on the hype and the critical reaction.

• Like 2

I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I read so far I can't see how this result is not Zack Snyder's fault. I think Zack might be a hack.

I've seen one Snyder film (Man Of Steel), so I'm definitely no expert on his work........but if Snyder's idea of making superhero films is just to have lots of action, lots of destruction, with little to no plot or meaning to it all, then yes, he is a hack. He gives the audience no reason to care about any of the characters.

I get the impression he just doesn't get it. Apparently, he's making "grown up" movies, but forgets grown ups want to have fun from time to time. I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not giving any judgement regarding it, I'm only going on the hype and the critical reaction.

I've seen 4 Zack Snyder directed flicks: Dawn of the Dead ('04), 300, Watchmen, and Man of Steel.

This is how I rate them and what I think of each...

Dawn of the Dead...yeah, I know it's a remake and the original is classic awesomeness. So what? This was still violent & fun. And i do like Ving Rhames & zombies.

Grade: B-

300...CGI bonanza and all that. Not nearly the CGI stupidity as ID4 or Transformers part 29 for example. Like Dawn of the Dead, it was violent & fun. A lot of posing going on but screw it, "This is Sparta!!!"

Watchmen...yeah yeah the comic was an A+ and miles better than this flick. But I still enjoyed this. However, it DID help that I saw the movie before reading the comic ((a million times over now)). Great soundtrack as required by the source material. Whatshisname as Rorshach was perfect. Whatshisname as The Comedian was really good too.

Grade: B+

Man of Steel...I said earlier in this thread that it has its problems but I still enjoyed it. A dozen plus minutes too long spent on blowing buildings up but I see the point.

As far as hype for Bats V Supes goes, I'm lucky in that regard as there IS no hype out here. It's just an occasional commercial but I'm sure it's nowhere near the hype of what it's like stateside.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I really loved Man Of Steel. Totally not taken aback that loads hate this film...haha

And I am not even a superhero fan much anymore (Superman and the old Spiderman movies aside, and yes of course their are other exceptions).

• Like 1

Necro gives it 7 out of 10

"visually stunning. story thin. acting superb for most of them. character development decent. un-needed time spent on origins"

Necro?...the guy who scolded me for thinking Don Cheadle was going to be better than Terrence Howard as James "War Machine" Rhodey? The guy who also scolded me for liking Nicholson in Batman even though I had already acknowledged that it was neither a good Batman movie nor a good Joker depiction? :LOL:

Surprised any movie with Batman would satisfy Necro.

Think I must be the only one who loved Jack Nicholson as the Joker. :heart:

Saw it this weekend. Very poor.

What were the worst aspects?

28%

I don't know how accurate or detailed Rotten Tomatoes rating system is, but 28% is an abysmal rating no matter how it is calculated. And the popular consensus isn't too impressive at 72% and falling.

That's just it, you don't have to like or value critics to realize a number like that isn't good news, and especially when many superhero films enjoy acclaim from critics. It's not as if it's universally understood that comic book films are panned by critics and therefore this is just another expected low score...ho-hum. Edited by Presto-digitation

28%

I don't know how accurate or detailed Rotten Tomatoes rating system is, but 28% is an abysmal rating no matter how it is calculated. And the popular consensus isn't too impressive at 72% and falling.

Wow, here are some (IMHO) terrible superhero movies and their scores on RottenTomatoes...

Amazing Spidey 2 : 53%

Catwoman : 9%

Batman & Robin : 11%

Ghost Rider : 26%

The Spirit : 14%

Superman 4 : 12%

Superman 3 : 26%

I haven't seen Bats V Supes yet but damn, they're saying it's about the same caliber as Superman 3 and Ghost Rider? Hmm...

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

28%

Wow, here are some (IMHO) terrible superhero movies and their scores on RottenTomatoes...

Amazing Spidey 2 : 53%

Catwoman : 9%

Batman & Robin : 11%

Ghost Rider : 26%

The Spirit : 14%

Superman 4 : 12%

Superman 3 : 26%

I haven't seen Bats V Supes yet but damn, they're saying it's about the same caliber as Superman 3 and Ghost Rider? Hmm...

I saw it last night. It's a lot better than those movies but I wouldn't rave about it. If you like superhero movies then you'll like it.

I thought it was better than I was expecting and whenever that happens, I'm happy.

Edited by workingcinderellaman
  • Like 1

All my friends love it.

I have yet to see it though (been busy).

Saw this earlier today...

I can't say any hype swayed me...mainly because there has been NO hype out in my parts + I didn't seek any out in space. The only hype I got, if any, was from this thread.

So, let's see....

1) It wasn't half as good as I had hoped.

2) Though I can't say it was good, it wasn't as bad as repeatedly reported.

3) Various careless holes in the story. Don't want to give too much away but, come on, Bats wouldn't just leave the spear where he did.

4) I'm much more of a Marvel guy but of all the DC comics I've read with Lex Luthor, I've never seen him depicted the way he was here. It reminded me of the shit Sam Rockwell did to Justin Hammer in Iron Man 2. I wanted to punch Eisenberg in the face myself. What the hell was that?! I didn't see him as a genius or as scary. I saw him as annoying.

5) Affleck...wasn't bad. Yup, he wasn't bad.

6) Gal Gadot as Diana Prince...was ok and she looked hot but it just felt like she was somewhat crammed in there along with the other meta-human cameos.

7) A few good action scenes in this. The best, IMHO, was the beatdown Bats did on those goons late in the movie.

I could've used 1 or 2 more fight sequences though.

8) Jeremy Irons...good stuff here. Very believable.

9) Other: After the movie, I read this comment from Kevin Smith saying that the makers of this film had a "fundamental misunderstanding of both characters". Yeah, I can agree with that.

• Like 4

I'm much more of a Marvel guy but of all the DC comics I've read with Lex Luthor, I've never seen him depicted the way he was here. It reminded me of the shit Sam Rockwell did to Justin Hammer in Iron Man 2. I wanted to punch Eisenberg in the face myself. What the hell was that?! I didn't see him as a genius or as scary. I saw him as annoying.

If there has been any continuity in the often-changing world of Superman, it has been Lex Luthor. He's a MAN....not some douchebag that you want to slap repeatedly.

It's bad enough that people have been changing Superman and his story (in comics and films). It's even worse that they feel it necessary to ruin his arch-enemy, too.

• Like 1

I love I, Robot and it's equal to Blade Runner in my eyes.

CALL ME CRAZY BUT YES I LOVE IT THAT MUCH!

Sorely underrated...amazing everything. Even if it does stray from the source material (quite a bit, actually).

I, Robot the film is utter dogshit compared to Asimovs masterpiece....

Comparing it to Blade Runner is just...well...wrong

Perhaps if it had lived up to the book, then maybe, but the Will Smith turdfest is very poor indeed.

• Like 1

9) Other: After the movie, I read this comment from Kevin Smith saying that the makers of this film had a "fundamental misunderstanding of both characters". Yeah, I can agree with that.

I can't believe that I agree with Kevin Smith!

My opinion is based only on the reviews I read. I don't put all my eggs in one basket when it comes to movie critics, but the reaction to this movie has been amazingly consistent among critics I respect and critics I don't respect.

I hope to see it this weekend.

Anything with Afleck starring in it is bound to be a disaster.

Agreed.

Whining metrosexual tosser.

Believe it or not, any shittiness in this flick isn't because of the "whining metrosexual tosser". In fact, "whining metrosexual tosser" describes Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor perfectly.

I can't believe that I agree with Kevin Smith!

My opinion is based only on the reviews I read. I don't put all my eggs in one basket when it comes to movie critics, but the reaction to this movie has been amazingly consistent among critics I respect and critics I don't respect.

I hope to see it this weekend.

Ah well, the only reaction that matters anyway is yours, yeah? And yeah, I disagree with all kinds of stuff that comes from Smith's mouth but in this case I think he's right.

Just rethinking the movie over now, my opinion of it might be lower than what I posted earlier.

Saw this earlier today...

I can't say any hype swayed me...mainly because there has been NO hype out in my parts + I didn't seek any out in space. The only hype I got, if any, was from this thread.

So, let's see....

1) It wasn't half as good as I had hoped.

2) Though I can't say it was good, it wasn't as bad as repeatedly reported.

3) Various careless holes in the story. Don't want to give too much away but, come on, Bats wouldn't just leave the spear where he did.

4) I'm much more of a Marvel guy but of all the DC comics I've read with Lex Luthor, I've never seen him depicted the way he was here. It reminded me of the shit Sam Rockwell did to Justin Hammer in Iron Man 2. I wanted to punch Eisenberg in the face myself. What the hell was that?! I didn't see him as a genius or as scary. I saw him as annoying.

5) Affleck...wasn't bad. Yup, he wasn't bad.

6) Gal Gadot as Diana Prince...was ok and she looked hot but it just felt like she was somewhat crammed in there along with the other meta-human cameos.

7) A few good action scenes in this. The best, IMHO, was the beatdown Bats did on those goons late in the movie.

I could've used 1 or 2 more fight sequences though.

8) Jeremy Irons...good stuff here. Very believable.

#4 x1000. Amen. His portrayal blew worse than any rehashing of any character ever. He was a cross of Smeagol and Rumpelstiltskin (from Once Upon A Time)
  • Like 1

I saw it.

It wasn't that bad. I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Far from perfect, but not as bad as the reviews suggested. The story and plot are too cluttered. Too much going on and no apparent narrative thread tying it all together. It could easily have been two movies.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but Ben Affleck was really good as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Certainly the best in action Batman yet.

And, yes, Zack Snyder does not have a basic understanding of the characters, especially Lex Luthor. A stronger more motivated and defined Lex Luthor would have elevated this movie significantly.

• Like 2