New Neil update

EagleMoon

This place is like a mental institution sometimes. I feel like I'm visiting One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

That's funny, I just made reference to that movie just last week in some new TRFer's welcome thread.

And coincidentally, I worked for half a decade back in the 90s at mental health establishments.

:blaze:

"Worked"

• Like 1

This place is like a mental institution sometimes. I feel like I'm visiting One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

That's part of the reason why I love it here

It was fun when there were some actual discussions and not all the hate.

There still are discussions all over the forum. You don't even have to look very hard for them.

There are haters here but we also have to realize that just because a member has a different opinion than another that is critical of a band member does not make them a hater. I think we all want to like the three of them but one seems to do a lot of things that make it a challenge and it's OK for us to state our opinions.

• Like 3

The natives get restless when there's not new Rush material to bitch about.
  • Like 2

FYI: I was bored and that was a troll post, but every time you turn up around here lately it's to bitch about Neil. :LOL:

Haha, you're right! And it's because Neil is the ONLY one in the whole organization that I don't care for. Seriously, the people involved with Rush are some of the nicest and most caring in the industry - truly good people. Except for Neil. I never had a problem with him until the end and IMO, he should be exposed for what he truly is. Many people have this idea that greatest drummer in rock & roll is a poor, hurting/tortured soul, and want to feel sorry for him. Trust me, the only time he's a hurting soul is when it comes to the feelings of his lifelong cohorts.

The natives get restless when there's not new Rush material to bitch about.

I'm sure that's true but I think it's telling that so many people have left. This is a Rush forum and there just isn't much Rush-related discussion anymore unless it's all negative.

FYI: I was bored and that was a troll post, but every time you turn up around here lately it's to bitch about Neil. :LOL:

Haha, you're right! And it's because Neil is the ONLY one in the whole organization that I don't care for. Seriously, the people involved with Rush are some of the nicest and most caring in the industry - truly good people. Except for Neil. I never had a problem with him until the end and IMO, he should be exposed for what he truly is. Many people have this idea that greatest drummer in rock & roll is a poor, hurting/tortured soul, and want to feel sorry for him. Trust me, the only time he's a hurting soul is when it comes to the feelings of his lifelong cohorts.

The people in the Rush camp were incredibly lucky to get 40 years of touring. Most roadies, instrument techs and anyone involved with a band in a supportive function know it's not a full time reliable job. They have other things they do most of the time to earn money. So they should be thankful for what they got. It's a heck of a long time to be involved with a rock band.

There still are discussions all over the forum. You don't even have to look very hard for them.

About Rush and not whining or complaining? Where?

That's funny, I just made reference to that movie just last week in some new TRFer's welcome thread.

And coincidentally, I worked for half a decade back in the 90s at mental health establishments.

:blaze:

"Worked"

Working at many of those places was definitely like LIVING there simply BECAUSE half of those places were living facilities.

Funny thing is that many of the mentally ill aren't that far removed from SUPPOSEDLY well-balanced individuals. Additionally, some of the banter that goes on in TRF is NOT too different from some conversations I've had with clients.

• Like 3

The people in the Rush camp were incredibly lucky to get 40 years of touring. Most roadies, instrument techs and anyone involved with a band in a supportive function know it's not a full time reliable job. They have other things they do most of the time to earn money. So they should be thankful for what they got. It's a heck of a long time to be involved with a rock band.

This is true on a certain level. There were a few who solely worked for Rush, though (wisely or not). But the difference between Rush and other bands is that there was more of a family-feel there. Not an employee-bosses relationship. They ARE thankful for the 40+ year ride, but also a little resentful because of the way it ended. Having other sources of income doesn't lessen the sting.

This is true on a certain level. There were a few who solely worked for Rush, though (wisely or not). But the difference between Rush and other bands is that there was more of a family-feel there. Not an employee-bosses relationship. They ARE thankful for the 40+ year ride, but also a little resentful because of the way it ended. Having other sources of income doesn't lessen the sting.

A lot of businesses spout on about being a family. No excuses for rush but it's simply never true. Business is business and can be very unforgiving and uncaring.

• Like 1

Sheesh you'd think being one of the most talented musicians in rock history was enough.

But he also happens to be a phenomenal songwriter.

And to think in spite of all these great things he still has flaws?

Wow...it amazes me. I do hate him. So much talent but WHY WON'T HE LOVE ME!!

I wish he would. I bought his albums so I deserve his attention.

And how dare he not be best friends with his workmates! THIS IS INCONCEIVABLE! UNNATURAL!

And he is great at his job but wants to retire?

WHOA! HOW DARE HE?!

Such a nasty, foul man.

At this point, I don't feel that Neil actually appreciates the work he's done for this band for 40 years and if he had his way, he'd erase a lot of it from his life. And if you think I'm going too far with my criticism of Neil, just think about this. He has desperately always wanted to be known as "the normal guy". He never wanted to be a superstar. He never wanted to be in the limelight (which adds another layer to that song). He knows he can't have it both ways. He can't be the greatest drummer on earth and not be recognized via admiration by fans which is why ever since, probably Time Machine, he's been actively planning his way out of Rush. He thought that the CA tour/2014 Break was the end, only to have Geddy and Alex convince him to do a 40th anniversary tour and believe me, that final line of "taking away my fun license." was a subtle "up yours" to the fans who want to see Rush tour, and it was an "up yours" to Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson for making him tour. And for everyone who still thinks "Well they may be retired, at least they're all still friends." I'm sorry, but that ship has sailed. When Neil begrudgingly decided to do the R40 tour, it was the final straw. The friendship ended right then and there.
  • Like 1

Sheesh you'd think being one of the most talented musicians in rock history was enough.

But he also happens to be a phenomenal songwriter.

And to think in spite of all these great things he still has flaws?

Wow...it amazes me. I do hate him. So much talent but WHY WON'T HE LOVE ME!!

I wish he would. I bought his albums so I deserve his attention.

And how dare he not be best friends with his workmates! THIS IS INCONCEIVABLE! UNNATURAL!

And he is great at his job but wants to retire?

WHOA! HOW DARE HE?!

Such a nasty, foul man.

• Like 1

I get that some fans are butthurt over Neil being done with touring and not informing his band mates in an "approved" way. I question the maturity of those fans.

ETA: I think there's a difference between those fans and those of us who offer context-specific criticisms from time to time.

Edited by JARG

.....he should be exposed for what he truly is.

And you have frequently exposed yourself for what you truly are - a pathetic, lying malcontent who spews tabloid BS about someone you've never met.

And you have frequently exposed yourself for what you truly are - a pathetic, lying malcontent who spews tabloid BS about someone you've never met.

You summed up these fans perfectly with the use of the word "tabloids".

I swear, for all the times we mock those who blindly follow the Kardashians and the like, who make the lives of vapid celebrities their sole focus in life, so often do I see the same thing with rock fans.

It's ridiculous. Putting people on a pedastal they have not asked for (or in case they have, that they do not deserve), is dangerous and ridiculous.

• Like 1

You've never met Neil either, you hypocrite. So consequentially, you are just as clueless as me or FOH Lights.

Edited by fraroc

You've never met Neil either, you hypocrite. So consequentially, you are just as clueless as me or FOH Lights.

Fraroc can you not see how pathetic you truly are? I mean this kindly, but you are truly idiotic. You are absolutely over the top ridiculous.

You say more unkind things about celebrities you do not know than any of these famous people say about ones they do know.

Your unkindness and shallow critiques of the lives of people you have never met reveal your true nature, which is as bitter and resentful as those you wish to bring down (actually worse, in my opinion, as you have no involvement in these people's lives, so what do you truly know about anything, aside from your obviously biased and one-sided, and very jaded fan perspective?).

• Like 2

Fraroc can you not see how pathetic you truly are? I mean this kindly, but you are truly idiotic. You are absolutely over the top ridiculous.

You say more unkind things about celebrities you do not know than any of these famous people say about ones they do know.

Your unkindness and shallow critiques of the lives of people you have never met reveal your true nature, which is as bitter and resentful as those you wish to bring down (actually worse, in my opinion, as you have no involvement in these people's lives, so what do you truly know about anything, aside from your obviously biased and one-sided, and very jaded fan perspective?).

Oh come on, tell me you haven't done the same exact thing once in your life.

Oh come on, tell me you haven't done the same exact thing once in your life.

I honestly haven't. A lot of my favourite bands are made up of individuals I do not like very much. The Beatles, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Metallica...I just enjoy the music, I don't get why fans have to turn every band they like into a soap opera.

Heck, I even have major issues with Springsteen but I remain a great admirer of his work, and respectful of his good points. No one is perfect. And there is too much going on with those in my everyday life to concern me too want to vent about ones I will not ever know.

You are ridiculously embarrassing to read sometimes. I like you but I can't defend you when you write such inane nonsense.

And I am sure many will argue they feel the same way towards me. So I am not being a hypocrite, I am approaching you how I would respect someone to approach me.

• Like 1

Well, this is a forum and you're entitled to your opinion. And even though the extent of our conversations was nothing more than a "how's it going", Neil did come to recognize me backstage over the last 3 tours. Pathetic? It's OK if that's the way you feel. But a lying malcontent, I am NOT.

• Like 1

The key word:

"visit"

What does that say about those of us who are here everyday ?!?!?!

Abandon all hope.

Too far gone.

No bridges left to burn.

It's better to keep moving.

:musicnote: ...too far

too far

too much trouble to turn back around.... :musicnote:

A package of Twinkies and a can of warm Cream Soda to the first member who knows what song that is from.

No cheating now. ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

nm

No, you were right, "Too Far Gone" by Todd Rundgren.

I'll take the Twinkies - you can have the soda (never did like Cream Soda, even if it's warm). :D

Edited by Alph Seeker
  • Like 1