New Neil update

EagleMoon

nm

No, you were right, "Too Far Gone" by Todd Rundgren.

I'll take the Twinkies - you can have the soda (never did like Cream Soda, even if it's warm). :D

I couldn't remember the name of the song, only who did it.

• Like 1

nm

I'll take the Twinkies - you can have the soda (never did like Cream Soda, even if it's warm). :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

He is rarely discussed on here, so I thought most wouldn't be familiar with the song.

I ate the twinkies; have some popcorn and a glass of pepsi instead: :d13: :popcorn:

nm

I couldn't remember the name of the song, only who did it.

That happens to me too. More often than not. :LOL: :cool:

• Like 1

That night in Pittsburgh I got through the show okay, limping on and off stage but able to play “properly,” so that no one else would know. A few days later I shared the story with the Guys at Work, but still, for the next five years I kept my resolve never to write about that crash. Until the time might come when I no longer worried about anybody taking away my “fun license.”

Wow, way to guilt trip your fans and guilt trip Ged and Al for supposedly "forcing you against your will" to do the R40 tour.

And I also agree with gypsy muse in the fact that I don't like his outright refusal to acknowledge Geddy and Alex by name, which leads me to believe that Neil isn't happy with either of them for making him tour, and you know what? If he feels that way, So be it. We can't force him to do shit he doesn't want to do.

If Neil's site had a forum, I'd bet a million dollars that he'd IP ban people for even mentioning the words "Geddy", "Alex" and "Rush".

you have issues. Your displaced rage at Neil underlies something else, maybe what you see reflecting back to yourself from his personality?
  • Like 1

That night in Pittsburgh I got through the show okay, limping on and off stage but able to play “properly,” so that no one else would know. A few days later I shared the story with the Guys at Work, but still, for the next five years I kept my resolve never to write about that crash. Until the time might come when I no longer worried about anybody taking away my “fun license.”

Wow, way to guilt trip your fans and guilt trip Ged and Al for supposedly "forcing you against your will" to do the R40 tour.

And I also agree with gypsy muse in the fact that I don't like his outright refusal to acknowledge Geddy and Alex by name, which leads me to believe that Neil isn't happy with either of them for making him tour, and you know what? If he feels that way, So be it. We can't force him to do shit he doesn't want to do.

If Neil's site had a forum, I'd bet a million dollars that he'd IP ban people for even mentioning the words "Geddy", "Alex" and "Rush".

you have issues. Your displaced rage at Neil underlies something else, maybe what you see reflecting back to yourself from his personality?

My thoughts exactly. He is fighting fire with fire. The bitterness of Neil, as perceived by Fraroc, is reflected perfectly, and enhanced as if to be seen under the strong lens of a microscope, in the petulant words of this particular forum member.

It appears to be far too obsessive to be strictly normal. I have never known anything like it!

And what is worse, I see it more and more. It is a shame, the amount of time people spend their emotions uncontrollably over the mistakes and flaws of persons we will never truly come to embrace.

And no, I do not count meet and greets as real social interaction. One does not become a familiar based on a mere photograph, hug or autograph. Some bands do make friends with a few fans, but as far as I can tell, no one on this forum has the means to contact Neil and ask him "wassssup?!?!?!?!".

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

My thoughts exactly. He is fighting fire with fire. The bitterness of Neil, as perceived by Fraroc, is reflected perfectly, and enhanced as if to be seen under the strong lens of a microscope, in the petulant words of this particular forum member.

It appears to be far too obsessive to be strictly normal. I have never known anything like it!

And what is worse, I see it more and more. It is a shame, the amount of time people spend their emotions uncontrollably over the mistakes and flaws of persons we will never truly come to embrace.

And no, I do not count meet and greets as real social interaction. One does not become a familiar based on a mere photograph, hug or autograph. Some bands do make friends with a few fans, but as far as I can tell, no one on this forum has the means to contact Neil and ask him "wassssup?!?!?!?!".

I don't think fraroc's approach is healthy either, Segue, but you don't have to be aggressive.

I get extremely tired of the Neil bashers because he doesn't want to tour anymore. FFS people he's f***ing 63 and has a second chance at raising a family, and playing the drums like he has for 50 years is a monstrous occupation.

If you bash Neil for not wanting to tour anymore and cry that it's the death of Rush, f***ing get over yourself.

If you have to bash him just make fun of his lyrics or something.

• Like 5

I don't think fraroc's approach is healthy either, Segue, but you don't have to be aggressive.

I don't see how that was aggressive...

Some people are going to be disappointed and annoyed by Neil's words and actions regarding the R40 tour regardless of whether they logically believe that it was his choice and that they have no right to be entitled. If FOH Lights is real, then maybe he's upset because he lost his job. If we're going to whine about people not being considerate of Neil's feelings, perhaps we also need to extend the same consideration to our peers.

I understand his aggression - though I didn't really find that aggressive. The constant Neil bashing over not wanting to tour is extremely selfish.

Edited by BowlCity

If you have to bash him just make fun of his lyrics or something.

Good suggestions since most of his lyrics sound like they were written by a grumpy,fan-hating whiner.....

:P :

*shakes fist*

• Like 1

I understand his aggression - though I didn't really find that aggressive. The constant Neil bashing over not wanting to tour is extremely selfish.

Thank you.

I get on well with Fraroc. I was just trying to explain as polite as possible how he comes across. I find him frustrating at times, but I would rather explain it that harass him over it.

Segue, two hours ago you called fraroc "pathetic" and "idiotic". This is aggressive language, whether people agree with you or not. You went on to do some commentary on his "true nature", making an observation of his posts into a personal attack. That was unnecessary. IF you're going to criticize what fraroc said, criticize what fraroc said, and not what you think about him as a person.

Even after your reply to fraroc has been sent and the little argument seems to be over, you jump at somebody else's little jab as an opportunity to re-initiate criticism. That's unnecessary. Your point was already made.

That's aggressive.

This place is like a mental institution sometimes. I feel like I'm visiting One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

That's part of the reason why I love it here

It was fun when there were some actual discussions and not all the hate.

The natives get restless when there's not new Rush material to bitch about.

I'm sure that's true but I think it's telling that so many people have left. This is a Rush forum and there just isn't much Rush-related discussion anymore unless it's all negative.

People who leave the forum are basically admitting that they simply leave the flow of topics and conversation up to others ..

If someone doesn't like where the forum is headed, we all have the same ability to change the topic, post other topics, etc etc

I think this should be especially true for a Rush forum, as Rush as always been the voice of "not going with the flow" and creating your own happiness

Don't hate the forum, be the forum

• Like 2

Segue, two hours ago you called fraroc "pathetic" and "idiotic". This is aggressive language, whether people agree with you or not. You went on to do some commentary on his "true nature", making an observation of his posts into a personal attack. That was unnecessary. IF you're going to criticize what fraroc said, criticize what fraroc said, and not what you think about him as a person.

Even after your reply to fraroc has been sent and the little argument seems to be over, you jump at somebody else's little jab as an opportunity to re-initiate criticism. That's unnecessary. Your point was already made.

That's aggressive.

I guess we live in a world where bluntness at appropriate times is bound to offend somebody, if not everybody.

Just because I took issue with his words and pointedly responded to them, does not mean terms such as "pathetic" or "idiotic" define my whole view of him. But if I strongly believe he could benefit from having his irritable qualities pointed out, I would rather go straight to the point than coo him to politeness. He is, after all, very concious of the fact he can be misunderstood, so why should alerting him to why and how exactly this happens be such a cruel thing to do?

If he has the gall to give out negativity, he should be able to receive it likewise. But I was trying to be tactful, which is more than I can say for him at times.

Edited by Segue Myles

This place is like a mental institution sometimes. I feel like I'm visiting One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

That's part of the reason why I love it here

It was fun when there were some actual discussions and not all the hate.

The natives get restless when there's not new Rush material to bitch about.

I'm sure that's true but I think it's telling that so many people have left. This is a Rush forum and there just isn't much Rush-related discussion anymore unless it's all negative.

People who leave the forum are basically admitting that they simply leave the flow of topics and conversation up to others ..

If someone doesn't like where the forum is headed, we all have the same ability to change the topic, post other topics, etc etc

I think this should be especially true for a Rush forum, as Rush as always been the voice of "not going with the flow" and creating your own happiness

Don't hate the forum, be the forum

It is more productive to help change things rather than complain.

• Like 1

I think Sachmo makes an excellent point here - in regards to finding characteristics in people that you don't like about yourself ..

This is human nature .. Some people take it to extremes, some people will learn from it - sometimes it is not even a bad thing .

But the one thing it DOES say is that we are bonded in some way with that other person

As cliché as it sounds, there is a fascinating link between love, hate, obsession and why certain people, lifestyles and art appeal to us

Edited by Lucas

That's aggressive.

I guess we live in a world where bluntness at appropriate times is bound to offend somebody, if not everybody.

Just because I took issue with his words and pointedly responded to them, does not mean terms such as "pathetic" or "idiotic" define my whole view of him. But if I strongly believe he could benefit from having his irritable qualities pointed out, I would rather go straight to the point than coo him to politeness. He is, after all, very concious of the fact he can be misunderstood, so why should alerting him to why and how exactly this happens be such a cruel thing to do?

If he has the gall to give out negativity, he should be able to receive it likewise. But I was trying to be tactful, which is more than I can say for him at times.

Segue you weren't being blunt. Your two posts to him initially were blunt. That little bit, an hour or two after you win your argument and fraroc already takes your criticism, where you go "amirite??" with BowlCity et al is unnecessary. I took a huge issue with your words just now and it's not because I'm oversensitive as you cheekily try to hand-wave away any criticism you receive by saying "oh people are just going to get offended".

You were being a self-validating ass.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

That's aggressive.

Segue you weren't being blunt. Your two posts to him initially were blunt. That little bit, an hour or two after you win your argument and fraroc already takes your criticism, where you go "amirite??" with BowlCity et al is unnecessary. I took a huge issue with your words just now and it's not because I'm oversensitive as you cheekily try to hand-wave away any criticism you receive.

It sounds like you have more of an issue with me than you do anything I have to say on Fraroc.

I have been rooting for Fraroc for a long time now. I always have been forward with him, and I will always continue to be so, as I know we are more alike when it comes to our obsessive nature than you might realise.

I also responded that way with BowlCity because I know him to also be a very nice guy. Had it been Tony R, no way would I have shown a sense of approval or agreement.

Also, you haven't been on this forum a very long time. Fraroc wrote his way into a hole at his worst, and lately he has been really, really improving. I would rather do what I can to point out his errors and let him see where and if he can tone himself down, as he is concious of it, than sit back and watch his major critics tear him apart.

Sure, as I will always say I can and perhaps should respond to him with far more kindness. But I also do not think I was being unkind, especially as I have acknowledged I have his back.

Of course I get the impression that regardless of what I say, your mind is made up and I have simply written this message to cheek my way out of blame.

But Fraroc knows I care. I have spent a lot of time trying to help him, and at times the pointed advice I have given is much a response to how I feel towards my own failings as much as those of his, which are often remarkably similar to my own. Which is why I am so passionate about it.

• Like 3

That's aggressive.

Segue you weren't being blunt. Your two posts to him initially were blunt. That little bit, an hour or two after you win your argument and fraroc already takes your criticism, where you go "amirite??" with BowlCity et al is unnecessary. I took a huge issue with your words just now and it's not because I'm oversensitive as you cheekily try to hand-wave away any criticism you receive.

It sounds like you have more of an issue with me than you do anything I have to say on Fraroc.

I have been rooting for Fraroc for a long time now. I always have been forward with him, and I will always continue to be so, as I know we are more alike when it comes to our obsessive nature than you might realise.

I also responded that way with BowlCity because I know him to also be a very nice guy. Had it been Tony R, no way would I have shown a sense of approval or agreement.

Also, you haven't been on this forum a very long time. Fraroc wrote his way into a hole at his worst, and lately he has been really, really improving. I would rather do what I can to point out his errors and let him see where and if he can tone himself down, as he is concious of it, than sit back and watch his major critics tear him apart.

Sure, as I will always say I can and perhaps should respond to him with far more kindness. But I also do not think I was being unkind, especially as I have acknowledged I have his back.

Of course I get the impression that regardless of what I say, your mind is made up and I have simply written this message to cheek my way out of blame.

But Fraroc knows I care. I have spent a lot of time trying to help him, and at times the pointed advice I have given is much a response to how I feel towards my own failings as much as those of his, which are often remarkably similar to my own. Which is why I am so passionate about it.

I respect your sympathy and friendship to fraroc. That wasn't my point. I know you two are friends.

I still think you went too far. And I'm not trying to attack your personality, and you know there is nothing in what I've said that indicates that I am, so please don't misinterpret. This is about your approach and not about you.

I know I haven't been around for a long time, but please recognize that it doesn't take seniority to understand fairness, and lack thereof.

• Like 1