New Neil update

EagleMoon

So much anger going on here. It's really sad. I'm sorry I started this thread. Its obvious that people here can't just can't discuss issues normally anymore without bashing.

Anger. Moony don't over react.

I always believe that if you start a thread with honest intentions you should post in it regularly and try and steer it in the right direction. That said there's little happening in Rushville so bored people will create drama. ;)

It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog of a guy you don't like. I like him and usually only skim the stories if I look at all.

It's the dark side of fandom, isn't it?

Narcissistic, obsessive, self-righteous people who judge every single thing that the band or one of its members says or does. The tiniest little thing is put under their judgemental microscopes, and they spend as long as they like scrutinizing, criticizing, and condemning it. Fortunately, such dysfunctional people do not make up the majority of the fanbase.

But...what's the line of proper response?

Guy posted a post on his blog, people are going to react to that.

If you criticize too much or too deeply, then you're a selfish, self-righteous tool that doesn't appreciate what you've been privileged to have bestowed upon you..

Gush, praise and defend too much, then you're a comical, caricature of a slobbering fanboi.

In my opinion, the solution is to take one's selfishness out of it. Be it rose-colored glasses or grey-colored, we have to take them OFF when reading anything about the band or anyone else.

It's what any fan should do. Rock fans, football fans, movie star fans.......we're all guilty of putting our "heroes" up on pedestals and then tearing them down when we're disappointed by their human flaws.

They're just normal human beings. They're just like us. They have good virtues and vices. They do great things and they make mistakes. And when they write or talk about themselves publically, we MUST take their words in the proper context. We will NEVER fully know their lives, so we shouldn't try to do so.

The best solution regarding Neil Peart's journal entries is to not read them. If we can't read them with 20/20 vision, then we shouldn't even open the book.

So you have the answer to the only correct way to read? Get over yourself.

He is. He's choking his chicken in another thread.

So much anger going on here. It's really sad. I'm sorry I started this thread. Its obvious that people here can't just can't discuss issues normally anymore without bashing.

This could be the longest Neil update thread ever, for all the wrong reasons

• Like 3

It seems contradictory to scold fans for placing people on pedestals and yet take the position that those same people are not to be questioned in any way, shape or form. Is that not a pedestal as well?

Not at all. I don't believe in building pedestals or dungeons. I never said anything about "not questioning" whatever the band says or does. My criticism is directed at the extremes - the obsessive behaviors, be they positive or negative.

It's just rock & roll. It's entertainment for us and nothing more. Obsessing over and magnifying everything that Neil Peart or Jennifer Lawrence or Aaron Rodgers does is a foolish game. It's ultimately self-defeating, as they will always eventually disappoint us. They're flawed human beings........ just like us.

Anger. Moony don't over react.

I always believe that if you start a thread with honest intentions you should post in it regularly and try and steer it in the right direction. That said there's little happening in Rushville so bored people will create drama. ;)

I'm not overreacting. I'm just sad that things have degraded here so much. It's pathetic. This used to be a fun place to be. Now it's all negative whining and picking on other members.

I'm glad Rush stopped when they have. While thinking CA was an interesting album, it wasn't nearly one of my favorites and they played so much of it on that CA tour. I was glad to see the R40 tour (lucky enough to be where it was played I guess) and am glad they wrapped it up when they did. Let Geddy and Alex do something different with someone else on drums, and it may be great!

As for Neil, well if not a little self indulgent, I don't feel he owes us or even the other band guys anything. They are clearly close and they all knew this was going to be the end. Neil is/was a great drummer for this band, and hell if Bruford can f-cking retire why not Neil :)

I for one will not mind reading about what happened during the R40 tour, and have no negative feelings about this band or its members (the band members, not +their+ members) - only that I wish all these new young fans had a chance to see them years ago (which applies to all old bands I like).

• Like 3

It's an argument about nothing, most of the topic isn't about his retirement, it's how he phrased certain sentences or the tone of his writing.

• Like 1

I don't hate Neil. I don't know Neil. All I know is what I hear or Read. I love what I hear. I Don't love what I read. I don't have to like Neil to love his drumming. And for his life work in drumming he deserves to retire. I really don't like what I read, his personality and ego in his writing, how he writes and how he seems to love the 'sound' of his own voice. SO I can choose to listen. And choose not to read. And that's what I've done.
  • Like 3

It's an argument about nothing, most of the topic isn't about his retirement, it's how he phrased certain sentences or the tone of his writing.

THE ONLY PUT NEIL'S WRITING UNDER A MICROSCOPE THREAD

There are fans that support retirement, but think its something so important that all three members of Rush deserve a say.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

OK, so when YOU have worked 40+ years, and you want to retire, your coworkers and customers (if you have any) all get to decide if you can retire or not. If they decide that you are to keep working, you will keep working....right?

You simply do not get it. NO ONE has any say in when Neil, you, or anyone else is to retire. Neil Peart is a free human being, and HE will decide when he is to call it a career. The same will be true when YOU want to retire.

You do not own Neil Peart or any part of his life or career. Neither does his bandmates. NO ONE owns him.

Not sure how I claimed to "own Neil." Just pointing out my opinion that there is a classier way to handle retirement, and treat the two musicians that discovered him, invited him into the band, with a minimum amount of respect, by allowing them a tinsy tiny say in how they retire from the band they founded.

And you are right, I am not claiming to have a say in how/when he chooses to retire, but only to simply opine on its impact.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

Basically what I am saying is that you're being a self-righteous dick.

Because my opinion is different than your opinion ?

Why don't you give us another 10 paragraphs about what a fan should be, along with all the derogatory terms that apply if the fan doesn't fit your ideal ..

The fact that I got under your skin is an issue you are carrying, not me

• Like 2

There's been some (mostly) light criticism of some things Neil has written in the current blog and previously. No big deal. IMO the issue is some members have decided that these members are wrong and are not allowed to have a simple opinion. I've noticed they don't counter with a different interpretation of what he wrote. They resort to attacks of a mostly personal nature. If we adopt a live and let live attitude the problem can be solved. Also, no one will likely ever have their opinion changed on the Internet.

• Like 2

It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog of I guy you don't like.

Quite possibly the dumbest post of the year.

We read the blog to see if there is any band-related information. Obviously.

Revised: It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog for information about the band since there has never been any in the past.

I don't hate Neil. I don't know Neil. All I know is what I hear or Read. I love what I hear. I Don't love what I read. I don't have to like Neil to love his drumming. And for his life work in drumming he deserves to retire. I really don't like what I read, his personality and ego in his writing, how he writes and how he seems to love the 'sound' of his own voice. SO I can choose to listen. And choose not to read. And that's what I've done.

AG! Holy shit!

It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog of I guy you don't like.

Quite possibly the dumbest post of the year.

We read the blog to see if there is any band-related information. Obviously.

Revised: It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog for information about the band since there has never been any in the past.

Revised again: It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog for information about the band since, in the unlikely event that there happens to be a tiny nugget, RIAB is certain to quote it. Unless, of course, you like reading the blog.

:goodone: :goodone:

I find his travel books and journal writings to be quite dull. I made it about halfway through Ghost Rider and had to stop. It was a snoozefest. My distaste for his prose doesn't affect my appreciation of his drumming and lyrics for the band. The band is GREAT, and that's all I need to know. :sundog:

He got right back on and road off toward the sunset. :sundog: :sundog:

then slid on some gravel into a ditch

AG! Holy shit!

JARG! Yeah, it's been a while...How's it going?

Why don't you give us another 10 paragraphs about what a fan should be, along with all the derogatory terms that apply if the fan doesn't fit your ideal ..

I don't need 10 paragraphs. Two sentences will do, and here they are:

You call Neil Peart a pussy, but you can't handle others calling you out for it. You can dish it out, but you can't take it.

You call Neil Peart a pussy, but you can't handle others calling you out for it. You can dish it out, but you can't take it.

Someone please wake me when this guy has something interesting to say

Someone please wake me when this guy has something interesting to say

Looking at all this "discussion" from far away, I can see both of you guys (among a few other folks) taking shots at each other. Just walk away.

Clearly I'm no mod. I figure everyone here should be able to moderate themselves anyway. Shit, all the TRUE loudmouth, scumbag TRFers left years ago.

This stopped being a discussion ages ago and is simply dudes with megaphones stating X and Y.

• Like 1