New Neil update

EagleMoon

I was not aware that people who lose loved ones to road accidents are not allowed to talk about other road accidents in the future.

I lost my grandmother to colon cancer many years ago, so I should definitely NOT talk about my malfunctioning colon. It is extremely disrespectful towards my grandmother.

I will never speak about any potential cause of death again. It's just too disrespectful towards.....well.....everyone.

I have no idea why you bring this up

My point is that his daughter had a real accident .... Neil basically had his bike tip over, without any harm, yet he makes a big deal of it by stating that he didn't want this ( non ) incident revealed to anyone

Basically what I am saying that that Neil is being a pussy

He's writing about a non incident like it is a badge

A photo of his helmet that he refers to as a "brain bucket" - the f***ing thing has a minor scratch on it ..

If I had a daughter who died in an accident, I'm not going to go bringing up every time I was almost hurt while driving

An entire blog dedicated to the time a squirrel ran out in front of my car, or the time I endured a paper cut

You missed my entire point

Talking about your own health issue - that is related too your dear Grandma - is very relevant, and I respect you for it .. It takes courage to deal with health issues, esp potentially serious ones ...

My sister died in front of me 14 months ago in the hospital - it was f***ing awful ... but I am not going to go around writing about how awful it is for me to have my blood pressure taken by a doctor, or how brave I am for some meaningless shit - because dying in a hospital and stubbing your toe are not comparable ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

One thing I cannot do is look at accident photos - that, an surveillance camera video of crimes .. I'm unfazed by anything else ..

So I hesitate to type "motorcycle accident" into google images .. I can only imagine what would come up ..

For Neil, here is the photo immediately after his motorcycle accident .. Neil himself titled the jpeg "MAN ALIVE"

Give me a f***ing break

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/march_2016/man_alive.jpg

• Like 1

I was not aware that people who lose loved ones to road accidents are not allowed to talk about other road accidents in the future.

I lost my grandmother to colon cancer many years ago, so I should definitely NOT talk about my malfunctioning colon. It is extremely disrespectful towards my grandmother.

I will never speak about any potential cause of death again. It's just too disrespectful towards.....well.....everyone.

My point is that his daughter had a real accident .... Neil basically had his bike tip over, without any harm, yet he makes a big deal of it by stating that he didn't want this ( non ) incident revealed to anyone

He's writing about a non incident like it is a badge

A photo of his helmet that he refers to as a "brain bucket" - the f***ing thing has a minor scratch on it ..

If I had a daughter who died in an accident, I'm not going to go bringing up every time I was almost hurt while driving

An entire blog dedicated to the time a squirrel ran out in front of my car, or the time I endured a paper cut

You missed my entire point

Talking about your own health issue - that is related too your dear Grandma - is very relevant, and I respect you for it .. It takes courage to deal with health issues, esp potentially serious ones ...

My sister died in front of me 14 months ago in the hospital - it was f***ing awful ... but I am not going to go around writing about how awful it is for me to have my blood pressure taken by a doctor, or how brave I am for some meaningless shit - because dying in a hospital and stubbing your toe are not comparable ..

You have a point there.

• Like 2

That's unfortunate. You obviously missed my entire point.

Talking about your own health issue - that is related too your dear Grandma - is very relevant, and I respect you for it .. It takes courage to deal with health issues, esp potentially serious ones.

Actually, my grandmother did die of colon cancer, but I made up the part about my own colon problems. I made up that part to illustrate my point. You missed it.

You misinterpreted and exaggerated Neil's story. You weren't there (none of us were), so you have no knowledge of what actually happened and how closely Neil may have come to serious injury or death.

Basically what I am saying is that you're being a self-righteous dick.

Of course it was inevitable within the next couple years that they were going to retire, but to not do it with class, lead up to it a tiny bit slowly, some advance warning. Pay respect to the entire catalogue with more than 30 shows remaining.

This is not fully an argument about how they handled their lack of itinerary in 2016, but how they handled their scheduling, fan communication and set lists 2011-2014. Let everyone understand there are only one or two tours left, and a setlist that is in recognition of the finality that existed in Neils head back then. With more than 30 shows remaining.

How do you know you're done until you're done?

...but a dumb way to end an otherwise brilliant career.

So dumb in fact that nearly every show was sold out or nearly sold out. Far better attendance than the Clockwork Angels tour.
  • Like 1

It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog of a guy you don't like. I like him and usually only skim the stories if I look at all.

It's the dark side of fandom, isn't it?

Narcissistic, obsessive, self-righteous people who judge every single thing that the band or one of its members says or does. The tiniest little thing is put under their judgemental microscopes, and they spend as long as they like scrutinizing, criticizing, and condemning it. Fortunately, such dysfunctional people do not make up the majority of the fanbase.

• Like 3

Of course it was inevitable within the next couple years that they were going to retire, but to not do it with class, lead up to it a tiny bit slowly, some advance warning. Pay respect to the entire catalogue with more than 30 shows remaining.

This is not fully an argument about how they handled their lack of itinerary in 2016, but how they handled their scheduling, fan communication and set lists 2011-2014. Let everyone understand there are only one or two tours left, and a setlist that is in recognition of the finality that existed in Neils head back then. With more than 30 shows remaining.

How do you know you're done until you're done?

...but a dumb way to end an otherwise brilliant career.

So dumb in fact that nearly every show was sold out or nearly sold out. Far better attendance than the Clockwork Angels tour.

My point was exactly that, the 2nd leg of the CA tour had terrible attendance. Neil should have made his thoughts clear to them then, and the band could have started paying tribute to their career (filter out a few CA songs on leg 2) instead of only the last 30 shows (R40) where obviously demand exceeded supply.

Calling it dumb was in no way in reference to the success of R40, I was there plenty, I am quite familiar with its popularity. It was in reference to giving the musicians who discovered you and invited you to join their band at least a say in how their band ends.

I was replying to a member whining about "Neil bashers" ...in that narrow view there are only two sides here, either you support retirement now, or you are sour grapes. That's total rubbish.

There are fans that support retirement, but think its something so important that all three members of Rush deserve a say. And 30 shows is not giving their storied catalogue the attention it deserves at the end.

It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog of I guy you don't like.

Quite possibly the dumbest post of the year.

We read the blog to see if there is any band-related information. Obviously.

• Like 1

It seems borderline psychotic to read the blog of a guy you don't like. I like him and usually only skim the stories if I look at all.

Narcissistic, obsessive, self-righteous people who judge every single thing that the band or one of its members says or does. The tiniest little thing is put under their judgemental microscopes, and they spend as long as they like scrutinizing, criticizing, and condemning it. Fortunately, such dysfunctional people do not make up the majority of the fanbase.

But beaten already.

We read the blog to see if there is any band-related information. Obviously.

Well, that's where you're wrong. Because I've never deluded myself into believing I'm better than someone.

Edited by fraroc

But...what's the line of proper response?

Guy posted a post on his blog, people are going to react to that.

If you criticize too much or too deeply, then you're a selfish, self-righteous tool that doesn't appreciate what you've been privileged to have bestowed upon you.

Gush, praise and defend too much, then you're a comical caricature of a slobbering fanboi.

Rush is most likely over because Peart doesn't want to do it anymore. Alright then. Him making that proclamation at any point shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone beyond a casual fan. Dude said it 40 years ago. "It was for me, not you, that I came to write this song." Pretty much been on point ever since. He wants to do something else, cool, thanks for the memories, wish him all the best.

His motorcycle adventures have always been a bit of a mystery to me (but that's more of my viewing that context over the last few years with him being a Dad and me being a Dad), and his depiction over the years of touring being such an ordeal and a struggle have always come across as over the top. But, hell, that's just my opinion...and I already know that the person least concerned with mine or anyone else's opinion is Peart. Which, hey, that's cool too.

Edited by Bhawk2112

There are fans that support retirement, but think its something so important that all three members of Rush deserve a say.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

OK, so when YOU have worked 40+ years, and you want to retire, your coworkers and customers (if you have any) all get to decide if you can retire or not. If they decide that you are to keep working, you will keep working....right?

You simply do not get it. NO ONE has any say in when Neil, you, or anyone else is to retire. Neil Peart is a free human being, and HE will decide when he is to call it a career. The same will be true when YOU want to retire.

You do not own Neil Peart or any part of his life or career. Neither does his bandmates. NO ONE owns him.

• Like 1

There are fans that support retirement, but think its something so important that all three members of Rush deserve a say.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

OK, so when YOU have worked 40+ years, and you want to retire, your coworkers and customers (if you have any) all get to decide if you can retire or not. If they decide that you are to keep working, you will keep working....right?

You simply do not get it. NO ONE has any say in when Neil, you, or anyone else is to retire. Neil Peart is a free human being, and HE will decide when he is to call it a career. The same will be true when YOU want to retire.

You do not own Neil Peart or any part of his life or career. Neither does his bandmates. NO ONE owns him.

Please stop.

• Like 2

If you criticize too much or too deeply, then you're a selfish, self-righteous tool that doesn't appreciate what you've been privileged to have bestowed upon you..

Gush, praise and defend too much, then you're a comical, caricature of a slobbering fanboi.

In my opinion, the solution is to take one's selfishness out of it. Be it rose-colored glasses or grey-colored, we have to take them OFF when reading anything about the band or anyone else.

It's what any fan should do. Rock fans, football fans, movie star fans.......we're all guilty of putting our "heroes" up on pedestals and then tearing them down when we're disappointed by their human flaws.

They're just normal human beings. They're just like us. They have good virtues and vices. They do great things and they make mistakes. And when they write or talk about themselves publically, we MUST take their words in the proper context. We will NEVER fully know their lives, so we shouldn't try to do so.

The best solution regarding Neil Peart's journal entries is to not read them. If we can't read them with 20/20 vision, then we shouldn't even open the book.

• Like 1

If you criticize too much or too deeply, then you're a selfish, self-righteous tool that doesn't appreciate what you've been privileged to have bestowed upon you..

Gush, praise and defend too much, then you're a comical, caricature of a slobbering fanboi.

In my opinion, the solution is to take one's selfishness out of it. Be it rose-colored glasses or grey-colored, we have to take them OFF when reading anything about the band or anyone else.

It's what any fan should do. Rock fans, football fans, movie star fans.......we're all guilty of putting our "heroes" up on pedestals and then tearing them down when we're disappointed by their human flaws.

They're just normal human beings. They're just like us. They have good virtues and vices. They do great things and they make mistakes. And when they write or talk about themselves publically, we MUST take their words in the proper context. We will NEVER fully know their lives, so we shouldn't try to do so.

The best solution regarding Neil Peart's journal entries is to not read them. If we can't read them with 20/20 vision, then we shouldn't even open the book.

Read it and shut up because we don't know them? Really?

What is this world you describe where there is no action, reaction, random interaction? Are you afraid of a little abstraction?

:D

I'll read his journal entries like I've read his lyrics and his books, and I'll form opinions (or not) accordingly, like countless others will as well.

It seems contradictory to scold fans for placing people on pedestals and yet take the position that those same people are not to be questioned in any way, shape or form. Is that not a pedestal as well?

If the words are taken in the proper context, can people still react to that, or is it all off limits?

• Like 2

If we can't read them from 20 feet, then we shouldn't open the book?

Just stop this nonsense.

So you have the answer to the only correct way to read? Get over yourself.

• Like 2

So much anger going on here. It's really sad. I'm sorry I started this thread. Its obvious that people here can't just can't discuss issues normally anymore without bashing.
  • Like 5