New Neil update

EagleMoon

I get extremely tired of the Neil bashers because he doesn't want to tour anymore. FFS people he's f***ing 63 and has a second chance at raising a family, and playing the drums like he has for 50 years is a monstrous occupation.

If you bash Neil for not wanting to tour anymore and cry that it's the death of Rush, f***ing get over yourself.

If you have to bash him just make fun of his lyrics or something.

Bunch of Punk-Ass Little Thuggary!!!

Hey what a great name for a band.

Portnoy's next band no doubt....

I get extremely tired of the Neil bashers because he doesn't want to tour anymore. FFS people he's f***ing 63 and has a second chance at raising a family, and playing the drums like he has for 50 years is a monstrous occupation.

If you bash Neil for not wanting to tour anymore and cry that it's the death of Rush, f***ing get over yourself.

Its not that Neil doesnt want to tour anymore, most understand the need to retire. Thats not the point.

Its that he chose an abrupt ending with 3 month warning to fans that the end was here. No flexibility, not negotiable,no 2nd leg, nada.

Thanks for your loyalty fans and bandmates, as injuries prevent me from even a tiny 15 city second leg. But hey, y'all can watch me crash my bike all day on the internet!

Perhaps it's just me, but my warning that it was about to end live was quite a bit longer than three months. I thought it was already over two year ago at this time.

I guess file this under 'all things come to an end'.

I understand the passion and I enjoy Rush as much as anyone. But regardless of how it ends, it ends. So to bicker about how it ends or to kick the dead horse is just petty bullshit imo. Certainly artistic expression is a large part of any musician/band and a large part of the admiration and borderline worship by the fans. But a huge part of the industry is simply commerce. So when Kellogg's discontinues your favorite cereal, get over it and just buy another one.

Along those lines, and to get back to the thread topic, I was always concerned with Neil's riding and not surprised he had an accident given the number of miles he logs. I certainly don't wish ill will against anyone that does have an accident and alot of the Neil bashing is petty, catty bullshit that's more suited for 15 year old girls. Yes I'm as guilty as anyone of a little fun mockery of Neil, since he does get too big for his britches at times. But I don't treat him, or Rush, as someone that owes me anything.

• Like 4

Its not that Neil doesnt want to tour anymore, most understand the need to retire. Thats not the point.

Its that he chose an abrupt ending with 3 month warning to fans that the end was here. No flexibility, not negotiable,no 2nd leg, nada.

Thanks for your loyalty fans and bandmates, as injuries prevent me from even a tiny 15 city second leg. But hey, y'all can watch me crash my bike all day on the internet!

Perhaps it's just me, but my warning that it was about to end live was quite a bit longer than three months. I thought it was already over two year ago at this time.

when I leave a job I only owe them 2 weeks notice. So why the F is Neil obligated to any notice longer than what he did? Edited by 2112FirstStreet

He doesn't owe anyone shit.

Noone's asking for a loan or deification here, but actions have consequences. Clearly his bandmates, his organization and fanbase - this abruptness to retire without a minimal second leg, as is their tradition, to allow all to savor and reflect on an awesome career, has affected all of the above in a non positive manner.

What a waste to slightly tarnish 41 awesome years together. This will be part of his legacy if he holds firm. TRF and the internet have certainly proven that over the last year.

It's only (slightly) tarnished to a minority here on TRF. It's just that the minority here are very vocal which gives the IMPRESSION that many are pissed. Truth is, most are fine with it. Most have moved on.

Not to the member I originally replied to, who was whiney about Neil bashers. If you don't agree with him you're a shite head in his singular view of trf land.

Problem is with the pro Neil gang here, is the mis characterizing of those that believe Neils abrupt retirement to be a dumb move regarding the hard work of their 41 year career together.

Of course it was inevitable within the next couple years that they were going to retire, but to not do it with class, lead up to it a tiny bit slowly, some advance warning. Pay respect to the entire catalogue with more than 30 shows remaining.

This is not fully an argument about how they handled their lack of itinerary in 2016, but how they handled their scheduling, fan communication and set lists 2011-2014. Let everyone understand there are only one or two tours left, and a setlist that is in recognition of the finality that existed in Neils head back then. With more than 30 shows remaining.

Its obvious he took bandmates and staff by abrupt surprise. Of course its within his rights, but a dumb way to end an otherwise brilliant career.

There are tons of awesome bands to see now, given how expensive tickets are, certainly no shortage of quality live shows to see. But to abruptly end a brilliant career, with giving your bandmates who discovered you no say in such an important and final decision, absolutely dumb move.

Except that they've long said that when they go out it will be quietly and not a big deal will be made out of it. That fact it they acknowledged that it was the last tour of this magnitude was kind of a surprise and maybe a nice head's up to the fans who have supported them for so long.

As far as the end of the final show, Yeah Neil was already thinking ahead while Alex and Geddy we're still in the moment and clearly that is the big shock here.(Especially for Alex and Geddy) That's when the weight of 40 plus years come crashing down and it gets emotional.

I understand the passion and I enjoy Rush as much as anyone. But regardless of how it ends, it ends. So to bicker about how it ends or to kick the dead horse is just petty bullshit imo. Certainly artistic expression is a large part of any musician/band and a large part of the admiration and borderline worship by the fans. But a huge part of the industry is simply commerce. So when Kellogg's discontinues your favorite cereal, get over it and just buy another one.

Along those lines, and to get back to the thread topic, I was always concerned with Neil's riding and not surprised he had an accident given the number of miles he logs. I certainly don't wish ill will against anyone that does have an accident and alot of the Neil bashing is petty, catty bullshit that's more suited for 15 year old girls. Yes I'm as guilty as anyone of a little fun mockery of Neil, since he does get too big for his britches at times. But I don't treat him, or Rush, as someone that owes me anything.

:goodone:

You said precisely what I've been thinking, down to the bit about riding.

• Like 1

when I leave a job I only owe them 2 weeks notice. So why the F is Neil obligated to any notice longer than what he did?

Because when you leave your job MacDonalds won't cease to exist.

• Like 1

:goodone:

You said precisely what I've been thinking, down to the bit about riding.

:fistbump:

First of all, I don't hate Neil. I NEVER hated Neil and I don't plan on starting.

In all actuality, I'm not even overly pissed off at him. I'm just dissappointed in him. I'm aware of the fact that Neil doesn't owe the fans shit. My whole deal is his attitude twoards the subject. All three of them had made it clear from the beginning of R40 that this was most likely going to be the last major tour. And you know what, I totally understand, in fact, anyone who sees what they played on that tour got the idea that it was one big beautiful "goodbye" to the fans.

HOWEVER, Geddy and Alex also made it clear that they were holding out hope that even though Rush's touring days might be over, they might be able to get back together and do a few one-off concerts or maybe some short residencies at either MSG, Radio City, or in Toronto. Neil is just going out of his way to subtlety kill the possibility of Rush ever doing another concert ever again. Now, the whole "not fair to the fans" thing notwithstanding, it REALLY isn't fair to Geddy and Alex, who aren't done, who still want to go out there and perform.

The final sentence of that last blog post Neil made about "No one's gonna take my fun license away now" has seriously solidified a lot of the things I've suspected about Neil's attitude about the whole thing combined the fact that Neil doesn't even address Geddy and Alex by their names solidifies my suspicion that he ain't a happy camper about having to do R40.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 3

The final sentence of that last blog post Neil made about "No one's gonna take my fun license away now" has seriously solidified a lot of the things I've suspected about Neil's attitude about the whole thing combined the fact that Neil doesn't even address Geddy and Alex by their names solidifies my suspicion that he ain't a happy camper about having to do R40.

"A few days later I shared the story with the Guys at Work"

He's talking about medical affidavit, did you even read the thing? If they knew he was getting into accidents, they wouldn't want him jeopardizing the financial future of the tour and would forbid him from it. Geddy & Alex knew about his incident. He even calls them the "guys at work" in books he wrote over 10 years ago. It means nothing, it just conveys that he doesn't want to tour anymore, never again needing to sign something that would prevent him from doing as he pleases.

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 2

First of all, I don't hate Neil. I NEVER hated Neil and I don't plan on starting.

In all actuality, I'm not even overly pissed off at him. I'm just dissappointed in him. I'm aware of the fact that Neil doesn't owe the fans shit. My whole deal is his attitude twoards the subject. All three of them had made it clear from the beginning of R40 that this was most likely going to be the last major tour. And you know what, I totally understand, in fact, anyone who sees what they played on that tour got the idea that it was one big beautiful "goodbye" to the fans.

HOWEVER, Geddy and Alex also made it clear that they were holding out hope that even though Rush's touring days might be over, they might be able to get back together and do a few one-off concerts or maybe some short residencies at either MSG, Radio City, or in Toronto. Neil is just going out of his way to subtlety kill the possibility of Rush ever doing another concert ever again. Now, the whole "not fair to the fans" thing notwithstanding, it REALLY isn't fair to Geddy and Alex, who aren't done, who still want to go out there and perform.

His not referring them by name was a literary thing. He hasn't been cheerful about touring in 10+ years. He did it this long for Geddy and Alex, and they did it well and now he's stopped. Its wholly unsurprising, and all the drama around it is purely manufactured in my opinion.

I find it a bit disrespectful and even bizarre that Neil would choose to write about this - with obvious intent to generate some sort of admiration towards himself - considering that his daughter was killed in an accident on the road ..

In her case, she certainly wasn't able to smile after the accident and play a show the next night ..

We all have the right to form opinions on people, esp when they put it out there in the pubic willingly .. This is about Neil Peart the person, not The Professor on the drum kit ..

I find it a bit disrespectful and even bizarre that Neil would choose to write about this - with obvious intent to generate some sort of admiration towards himself - considering that his daughter was killed in an accident on the road ..

In her case, she certainly wasn't able to smile after the accident and play a show the next night ..

We all have the right to form opinions on people, esp when they put it out there in the pubic willingly .. This is about Neil Peart the person, not The Professor on the drum kit ..

You're right, and Neil is just a regular guy. He makes mistakes just like everyone else. These guys get put up on pedestals and it's easy to get knocked off.

• Like 2

Obvious intent?

He's talked about riding his bike before, and also laying it down once. I'm mystified as to why this is a big deal, or why he'd have to not discuss his laying the bike down because his daughter died in a crash.

• Like 1

He's talked about riding his bike before, and also laying it down once. I'm mystified as to why this is a big deal, or why he'd have to not discuss his laying the bike down because his daughter died in a crash.

Considering that his daughter died in a motor vehicle accident, Neil's need to bring up this very minor incident five years after the fact is sort of pathetic .. Especially considering how much he has accomplished and all the other things he could have written about ..

He can, and certainly will, write about whatever he wants .. But with each new entry, he is revealing more and more of himself, which ironically, he seems so dead set against ..

He slides on some loose gravel ... His riding partner seems to have no problem with this same gravel that Neil seems to blame on the road crew .. Neil gets up, sets the bike back up and smiles while his picture is taken ..

To bring that back up - five years later - and preface it with a tone of "I never wanted this to be known" is overdramatizing a non issue ..

Considering that his daughter died in a motor vehicle accident, Neil's need to bring up this very minor incident five years after the fact is sort of pathetic .. Especially considering how much he has accomplished and all the other things he could have written about ..

He can, and certainly will, write about whatever he wants .. But with each new entry, he is revealing more and more of himself, which ironically, he seems so dead set against ..

He slides on some loose gravel ... His riding partner seems to have no problem with this same gravel that Neil seems to blame on the road crew .. Neil gets up, sets the bike back up and smiles while his picture is taken ..

To bring that back up - five years later - and preface it with a tone of "I never wanted this to be known" is overdramatizing a non issue ..

I simply didnt think it was that big a deal.

• Like 1

fair enough

I was not aware that people who lose loved ones to road accidents are not allowed to talk about other road accidents in the future.

I lost my grandmother to colon cancer many years ago, so I should definitely NOT talk about my malfunctioning colon. It is extremely disrespectful towards my grandmother.

I will never speak about any potential cause of death again. It's just too disrespectful towards.....well.....everyone.

• Like 1

fair enough

But I wasnt aware others looked at it differently, you made me think about it :)