Is Rock Dead?

Union 5-3992

It's the body of Gene Simmons that is dead. His hair is actually alive, it's hair that is like an abstract intelligence (like a starfish only slightly smarter), and through a kind of symbiotic connection the hair provides the personality and mind that we know as Gene Simmons.

I think Classic rock is dead.

However, heavy metal is still alive and well in my book. Metallica, Lacuna Coil, and Delain put out amazing albums this year, they have scores of young adoring fans throughout the world. Almost every concert in Evanesence's latest tour was a sellout show...

Edited by fraroc

I hate this question, I thought this thread was better off dead, though I am posting here just to make my opinion on this thread official while it's up anyway.

Rock cannot die.

Do any of you f***ers still have something called speakers you listen to music thru ?? ..

Stop listening to music thru something you hold in your hand

I'm not terribly down on portable music players, but man, those beadie little pitiful ear-bud headphones are beyond worthless. Everyone should get a nice set of speakers or at least some solid over-ear headphones.

What's sad is how a lot of modern music is produced with very muted bass so the mix plays well to the ear-bud audience. That deep rich sound is becoming harder to come by.

Of course Rock's not dead...

He's starring in this year's Baywatch remake

Recent article on this subject.

https://newrepublic....ened-rock-music

My god was that author smug

Didn't read this until today. What was the point of that article? Part book review, part lament about fall of rock part meandering gibberish. He counts prince as rock but not artists like drake or Rihanna? And, of course, it's all Justin bieber's fault. We've always had boy bands/bubble gum music. We've always had r&b.

• Like 1

My piano playing nephew is 28. He grew up in what I consider the worst era of rock music. So for guys of his generation, the bar is real low. They just don't " get " rock music.

My piano playing nephew is 28. He grew up in what I consider the worst era of rock music. So for guys of his generation, the bar is real low. They just don't " get " rock music.

He's two years older than me and rock music has been amazing this whole time.

• Like 1

Maybe it's time for me to chime in this thread once again...

I've seen many bands live at small capacity places like Saint Vitus Bar, the Warsaw, etc. in NYC/Brooklyn and I know for a fact that these bands doing very well for themselves as far as building a small but tight knit camaraderie fanbase, and being able to play live with a good amount of people to come out to the shows. Not once have I ever heard of a concertgoer during these shows say "Man, I wish these guys break out into the mainstream". Cause, what does mainstream have to do w/anything these days?

"Mainstream" music does not compute to "good" music, and history's got the track record to prove it. If you're going to find great modern rock/metal music today, you're gonna have to put in some f***ing effort because of how toxic and diluted finding good bands with little to no effort has become. The fact that there's still kids out here discovering rock/metal music (what bands or genres they're listening to is beside the point) wanting to pick up guitars/bass/drums/vocals and aspiring to form/play in rock/metal bands is helping to keep the scene alive too.

Another thing to point out is that not every single moment where rock/metal was dominating at the top of the music landscape was pretty (but this applies to all music genres period) and as Xanadood mentioned in his post about his nephew growing up in "the worst era of rock music" this proves my point that even rock/metal music had a dud moment in its history.

Unfortunately, there's certain individual here (I think we all know who he is so no point in calling him out) can't form his own opinions and has to rely on materialistic success as to whether or not "modern" rock/metal music is alive or not. He's ignorant at the fact most of the "underground" rock/metal scenes are NOT mainstream friendly (it's part of the underground for a reason) and is why said scene has and always remains "small and in the bar scene". Nevertheless, the underground scenes in rock/metal WILL have a fanbase however big or small it may be and building a good rep within the scene and the converts is success in and of itself. The thought that this kind of thing happens in the genre is "damaging to the genre of rock as a whole" is a concocted and confabulated story. For f**k's sake, PUNK WAS BORN OUT OF THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR!

Who cares whether or not your favorite "new" rock/metal bands are not big? Just keep on listening to the music, support them in any way you can (spread the word, buying the music, or better yet going out to the shows and/or buying the merch), because not every band stays together long like a :rush: or a Maiden or etc. so enjoy/support it while they're still around.

• Like 2

Maybe it's time for me to chime in this thread once again...

I've seen many bands live at small capacity places like Saint Vitus Bar, the Warsaw, etc. in NYC/Brooklyn and I know for a fact that these bands doing very well for themselves as far as building a small but tight knit camaraderie fanbase, and being able to play live with a good amount of people to come out to the shows. Not once have I ever heard of a concertgoer during these shows say "Man, I wish these guys break out into the mainstream". Cause, what does mainstream have to do w/anything these days?

"Mainstream" music does not compute to "good" music, and history's got the track record to prove it. If you're going to find great modern rock/metal music today, you're gonna have to put in some f***ing effort because of how toxic and diluted finding good bands with little to no effort has become. The fact that there's still kids out here discovering rock/metal music (what bands or genres they're listening to is beside the point) wanting to pick up guitars/bass/drums/vocals and aspiring to form/play in rock/metal bands is helping to keep the scene alive too.

Another thing to point out is that not every single moment where rock/metal was dominating at the top of the music landscape was pretty (but this applies to all music genres period) and as Xanadood mentioned in his post about his nephew growing up in "the worst era of rock music" this proves my point that even rock/metal music had a dud moment in its history.

Unfortunately, there's certain individual here (I think we all know who he is so no point in calling him out) can't form his own opinions and has to rely on materialistic success as to whether or not "modern" rock/metal music is alive or not. He's ignorant at the fact most of the "underground" rock/metal scenes are NOT mainstream friendly (it's part of the underground for a reason) and is why said scene has and always remains "small and in the bar scene". Nevertheless, the underground scenes in rock/metal WILL have a fanbase however big or small it may be and building a good rep within the scene and the converts is success in and of itself. The thought that this kind of thing happens in the genre is "damaging to the genre of rock as a whole" is a concocted and confabulated story. For f**k's sake, PUNK WAS BORN OUT OF THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR!

Who cares whether or not your favorite "new" rock/metal bands are not big? Just keep on listening to the music, support them in any way you can (spread the word, buying the music, or better yet going out to the shows and/or buying the merch), because not every band stays together long like a :rush: or a Maiden or etc. so enjoy/support it while they're still around.

Thread won.

I'm starting to think this forum needs a whole new section just for those who like to like things haha

Yeah, I know I'm being the old guy here. I'm basing my opinion on conversations I've had with him and a few guys he's played with. They just don't know much about the history of rock music in general. Who influenced who, what albums are important etc. I realize that's not true across the board with all dudes his age.. but I just find it strange

• Like 1

Yeah, I know I'm being the old guy here. I'm basing my opinion on conversations I've had with him and a few guys he's played with. They just don't know much about the history of rock music in general. Who influenced who, what albums are important etc. I realize that's not true across the board with all dudes his age.. but I just find it strange

It's ok I went to a school that was rock obsessed. Where I am the rock scene is quite healthy, and bands frequent here often and local bands have hit the mainstream, in the UK and overseas.