Who do you consider the "soul" of Rush?

Lorraine

I don't see how it's weird to dislike any member of any band. It's not as if skill, membership or longevity automatically makes somebody pleasant, nor does it make their approach to life any less questionable.

Agreed. I don't get why so many on this forum treat Rush like old familiar friends. We know their public persona and we know their music. That is all.

And Neil has not always presented himself in the most embraceful manner. Check his books.

Which is fine, no big deal, he is a realistic man, not an actor.

I pretty much hate everything about The Doors front man and other stars I admire for their art drive me crazy as individuals, not sure why that's such a bad thing for the fan boys to cope with?

• Like 1

As a former drummer I have to say that Peart's drumming style is pretty unique and would be hard, if not impossible, to replace and still be Rush...especially considering the "clock" he and Ged have developed over the past 40 years.

The reality is that Cornelius is still the odd man out as GedAl are essentially life partners and will never part ways until their death. Amen.

• Like 2

As a former drummer I have to say that Peart's drumming style is pretty unique and would be hard, if not impossible, to replace and still be Rush...especially considering the "clock" he and Ged have developed over the past 40 years.

The reality is that Cornelius is still the odd man out as GedAl are essentially life partners and will never part ways until their death. Amen.

He has had to make his way with being the third wheel. Must've been tough for him early on away from home. Who did he have as a close friend on the road? Howard?

I don't see how it's weird to dislike any member of any band. It's not as if skill, membership or longevity automatically makes somebody pleasant, nor does it make their approach to life any less questionable.

Agreed. I don't get why so many on this forum treat Rush like old familiar friends. We know their public persona and we know their music. That is all.

And Neil has not always presented himself in the most embraceful manner. Check his books.

I pretty much hate everything about The Doors front man and other stars I admire for their art drive me crazy as individuals, not sure why that's such a bad thing for the fan boys to cope with?

I'm not actually adverse to "following" artists and extending your mental relationship with them beyond that which they show. Personal attachments are bound to happen, and so do personal detachments: I think it's appropriate to discuss both, without feeling the need to self-censor because it's not nice, or it's not true, or whatever. As you know I like to discuss everything to death.

I also disagree with the usage of "fan boy" as a pejorative. Liking and admiring an artist is not a bad thing--being closed off and stuck in an echo chamber's just a dangerous side effect of hanging around with too many like-minded people, and we all like to think our opinions are based in reality. With Neil it's especially difficult because by all means he worked hard and he's suffered a lot, so when aspects of him get attacked, it's easy to see it as unfair.

To follow your tangent, I actually really love the entire Jim Morrison persona.

Edited by Day of Light

It's not about disliking a member of a band. It's about downplaying the member's role in or contribution to the band.

Case in point, I dislike Roger Waters, but how can I legitimately downplay his role in Pink Floyd?

Neil's going to enjoy the fruit of his labor regardless of a few people on a message board questioning his role or contribution. This discussion isn't meant to "downplay" anything because criticizing his achievements and questioning his contributions isn't going to change the fact that they have been objectively rewarded in the form of accolades and money.

Anything is arguable.

This forum exists for fans to debate. If someone posts they think Neil is expendable to Rush you would expect a response in defense of Neil, wouldn't you? There's plenty to dislike or criticize Neil Peart about. I just don't think his contributions to Rush is one of them.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

It's not about disliking a member of a band. It's about downplaying the member's role in or contribution to the band.

Case in point, I dislike Roger Waters, but how can I legitimately downplay his role in Pink Floyd?

Neil's going to enjoy the fruit of his labor regardless of a few people on a message board questioning his role or contribution. This discussion isn't meant to "downplay" anything because criticizing his achievements and questioning his contributions isn't going to change the fact that they have been objectively rewarded in the form of accolades and money.

Anything is arguable.

This forum exists for fans to debate. If someone posts they think Neil is expendable to Rush you would expect a response in defense of Neil, wouldn't you? There's plenty to dislike or criticize Neil Peart about. I just don't think Neil Peart's contributions to Rush is one of them.

That's fair.

• Like 1

He has had to make his way with being the third wheel. Must've been tough for him early on away from home. Who did he have as a close friend on the road? Howard?

I don't know, it seems that the three of them hit it off right away and have always been friends but still, GedAl's friendship is on a totally different level. My point being that they can go off and write music together until the end whether or not Cornelius is there. But his approach to the kit is a vital element to Rush's sound. Anyone else on the throne and it's just not the same sound. Great music probably but not Rush.

• Like 1

I'm not actually adverse to "following" artists and extending your mental relationship with them beyond that which they show. Personal attachments are bound to happen, and so do personal detachments: I think it's appropriate to discuss both, without feeling the need to self-censor because it's not nice, or it's not true, or whatever. As you know I like to discuss everything to death.

I also disagree with the usage of "fan boy" as a pejorative. Liking and admiring an artist is not a bad thing--being closed off and stuck in an echo chamber's just a dangerous side effect of hanging around with too many like-minded people, and we all like to think our opinions are based in reality. With Neil it's especially difficult because by all means he worked hard and he's suffered a lot, so when aspects of him get attacked, it's easy to see it as unfair.

I agree about the fan boy thing...I don't mean to use it as a negative (you will notice I refer myself as a fan boy to three particular artists/bands I admire). But as a die hard fan of certain bands, I never fail to accept differing opinions.

For example, I love Nightwish. But some fans never accepted they let go of their first singer eleven years ago, and failed to find enjoyment in their subsequent music.

Although I do not agree they lost their magic (in fact, I think they got better), I can imagine loving a particular member a lot makes it hard to move forwards.

But...at the same time I dint see what is so hard about accepting some fans just don't care for a certain member. No matter how important they are.

If Rush lost Neil, and replaced him with an amazing drummer, I reckon it would divide the fans, but not necessarily everyone will think that the magic is lost.

It's like when I read countless posts wishing Broon never left.

Well he did, and tonnes of fans love the post Signals work as much as, if not more than, the early stuff.

And there is a fair number of fans who really seem to believe Clockwork Angels is superior to nearly everything they have ever done, and find it hard to tolerate naysayers.

But if those who dislike Neil truly believe he could be replaced, at least in a live setting, I am not sure why some have to disregard that thought as if it's going to make any difference to that persons perspective.

I would not be happy to lose any member of Rush, myself. But if two thirds of the current line up want to continue the bands legacy for as long as possible, I would be delighted to support them, and I am sure many fans might delight in Neil leaving if Geddy and Alex looked to be much happier onstage.

• Like 1

The persona works for the music and for the bands image.

But if I met a person that far gone, and revelling in it, minus the talent or good looks or charisma, I wouldn't buy into it.

Jim Morrisson was a legend, but much like Oscar Wilde, I appreciate the art more than the artist (even though the art came as a result of everything that artist went through).

• Like 1

Neil is expendable. I'm sorry you think that is bashing Neil.

Not one is indispensable.

In regards to the chemistry of a band? Sure some members are indispensable.

For Rush, take one member away and they aren't Rush anymore

Unless your John Rutsey or Terry Brown!

I disagree, John Rutsey was a mediocre drummer who was in the band very briefly before anyone know who RUSH was. For all the love Terry Brown was never in the band.

I was being facetious.

I should have known that. :(

I firmly believe if Geddy and Alex continue without Neil's contributions they wouldn't call it Rush.

I second that opinion. From everything they have ever said or revealed about themselves as a band, if one member is gone it's not RUSH. I think most of their fan base would be open to see what they do but it would certainly to be under a new name.

You hit on something. Jack Black described the band as eerily precise. Right on the nuggets. Live it's something to behold. To me that is a supernatural thing, or connection...or the product of hard work and attention to detail. Probably all three.

The rhythm section of a band is its foundation. Neil is given the music to compose his drum patterns around. He makes it a mathematical exercise each time out.

When we talk about the "soul" of the band what exactly does it mean? The music is the vehicle in which the lyrics ride. They give meaning. For the most part, at least for me, the lyrics are the soul. Who writes the lyrics? Why does he write the lyrics?

At first I believe it was because Ged and Al were into the music component. Neil was considered "literate". No question that Neil has delivered such wonderful poetry and soaring concepts to absorb--for a lifetime.

There's a big part of that soul.

• Like 2

I see a ton of air drummers at their shows. That's saying something right?

HELL YEAH! At the BB&T Center for the CA Tour stop I was "bassing" for an "air trio" during parts of the concert. You KNOW that was going down at a lot of the venues during all the tours. Get off your ass and JAM!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1