Who do you consider the "soul" of Rush?

Lorraine

But after Terry Brown left the family, Rush lost something that is very difficult to pinpoint .. They lost something that made them Rush .. A vibe that made them unique - it wasn't quite as simple as "their sound", but after Terry left, they never sounded like Rush again to me ..

They sounded like the three members of Rush, but the didn;t sound like Rush

You can't see a soul, and you can't exactly define what it is ..

True

:facepalm:

I just don't get the Terry Brown lovefest.

Personally, I think Signals through Hold Your Fire is an incredibly impressive run of albums. And post-Hold Your Fire there are plenty of songs worthy of Rush's prime output. IMHO.

The fact you refer to "Rush's prime output" implies that even you u derating the early stuff holds the most appeal.

Hence the Broon love fest.

I never said the Terry Brown produced albums weren't my favorite. I am firmly on record declaring those albums as my favorites and, objectively, they are Rush's prime. But I don't think Rush stopped being Rush after Terry Brown left. I'll hold up Power Windows or Hold Your Fire to all but four Brown produced albums. Peter Collins is essential to those albums sounding so good and cohesive. And Rush certainly guided all those albums when push comes to shove.

Oh I getcha!

I actually agree with you. I, however, think Broon should have come back for Presto. If they wanted to move forwards AND retain their roots, they would have improved with his help.

Otherwise, from RTB onwards, they lost a massive part of their appeal. I think so, anyway.

I'll never argue in favor of Rupert Hine. Wrong producer for Rush. Notice who they brought back after working with Hine...

• Like 1

But after Terry Brown left the family, Rush lost something that is very difficult to pinpoint .. They lost something that made them Rush .. A vibe that made them unique - it wasn't quite as simple as "their sound", but after Terry left, they never sounded like Rush again to me ..

They sounded like the three members of Rush, but the didn;t sound like Rush

You can't see a soul, and you can't exactly define what it is ..

True

:facepalm:

I just don't get the Terry Brown lovefest.

Personally, I think Signals through Hold Your Fire is an incredibly impressive run of albums. And post-Hold Your Fire there are plenty of songs worthy of Rush's prime output. IMHO.

The fact you refer to "Rush's prime output" implies that even you u derating the early stuff holds the most appeal.

Hence the Broon love fest.

I never said the Terry Brown produced albums weren't my favorite. I am firmly on record declaring those albums as my favorites and, objectively, they are Rush's prime. But I don't think Rush stopped being Rush after Terry Brown left. I'll hold up Power Windows or Hold Your Fire to all but four Brown produced albums. Peter Collins is essential to those albums sounding so good and cohesive. And Rush certainly guided all those albums when push comes to shove.

Oh I getcha!

I actually agree with you. I, however, think Broon should have come back for Presto. If they wanted to move forwards AND retain their roots, they would have improved with his help.

Otherwise, from RTB onwards, they lost a massive part of their appeal. I think so, anyway.

I'll never argue in favor of Rupert Hine. Wrong producer for Rush. Notice who they brought back after working with Hine...

Don't get me wrong, I love Presto, and really enjoy half of RTB. AMD whilst with RTB I lay most of the blame on dull songwriting (Rush's fault), Presto is full of songs I really love and the main beef I have rests in the hands of the producer.

I will always think that with Broon, Presto could have been as great as Moving Pictures. As it is, it is a near classic.

This is practically unrelated, but I have a crush on Rupert Hine and so I'm willing to convince myself that the production on Presto was alright. I mean, to my ears Roll the Bones has really nice production, even if it's a little soft when it could've been a hard rock album, and Presto sounds thin but it's not an unpleasant production quality to me; not like their modern-era albums. I think that if anything, Rupert steered them back into a more suitable direction. From what I understand in the Rush documentary, it was Rupert's idea to force Ged to give up the synths.
  • Like 1

Geddy sang great on Presto, and that was because of Rupert.

This is so true...

Geddy sang great on Presto, and that was because of Rupert.

This is a very good point. But, overall, the albums sound very thin and hollow.

I agree, but he got Geddy to do things with his voice that he never did before.

Or since.

His voice on Presto is my favourite of his entire career.

"I'm not one to believe in magic..."

• Like 3

From what I understand in the Rush documentary, it was Rupert's idea to force Ged to give up the synths.

Or it was Alex telling Geddy and Neil to get a freaking clue...I think his words were:

"Why do i have to find a space? I started this band. A synthesizer isn't even an instrument."

• Like 3

Are you people out of your minds ?? .. Rupert Hine ? Presto ??

Is that even a Rush album ?!?!?

Geddy never sounded better ???

Are we still talking about the same topic ?? The soul of Rush ???

A crush on Rupert ?!?!?!?!

You're all nuts

NUTS I TELL YOU

• Like 2

You're all nuts

NUTS I TELL YOU

True

• Like 1

All you Rupert Hine mother****** need to wake up and smell the milk

... and here's your alarm clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jjHPYibgE

I find most of his seventies vocals more annoying than awe inspiring.

Presto over Hemispheres, any day of the week.

You're all nuts

NUTS I TELL YOU

I'm not nuts; I'm bananas.

• Like 2

I wouldn't miss Neil, but I would miss Geddy and Alex. Without those two, the band will fall apart.

Actually, in concert Neil is the one you can bank on to never fall apart. Live the boys rely on the Professor. He's the heartbeat
  • Like 1

You're all nuts

NUTS I TELL YOU

Dude I love you. You are awesome.

But your favourite band is KISS.

To each, his own!

• Like 1

I wouldn't miss Neil, but I would miss Geddy and Alex. Without those two, the band will fall apart.

Actually, in concert Neil is the one you can bank on to never fall apart. Live the boys rely on the Professor. He's the heartbeat

I suspect Lorraine is speaking more about him as an individual over him being a musician. He is wonderful, but I find off stage, Geddy and Alex are far more lovable.

Not knocking Neil's mighty talent, I would definitely miss that!

• Like 1

Tried to help but I too failed!

Edited by Segue Myles

I suspect Lorraine is speaking more about him as an individual over him being a musician. He is wonderful, but I find off stage, Geddy and Alex are far more lovable.

Not knocking Neil's mighty talent, I would definitely miss that!

Thank you. You are right. My friends know me. :)

• Like 2

This is practically unrelated, but I have a crush on Rupert Hine and so I'm willing to convince myself that the production on Presto was alright. I mean, to my ears Roll the Bones has really nice production, even if it's a little soft when it could've been a hard rock album, and Presto sounds thin but it's not an unpleasant production quality to me; not like their modern-era albums. I think that if anything, Rupert steered them back into a more suitable direction. From what I understand in the Rush documentary, it was Rupert's idea to force Ged to give up the synths.

Just noticed this post!

I have a crush on Helen Mirren, based on her performance in the film Red.

Never be embarrassed!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1