Who do you consider the "soul" of Rush?

Lorraine

I wouldn't miss Neil, but I would miss Geddy and Alex. Without those two, the band will fall apart.

Neil is slowly becoming a bit of a drag. I would be happy if he retired, happy for him and honestly happy for the band! It's his dragging it out that is becoming a wind up.

I will always defend him, but at the same time I suspect Geddy and Alex would have already finished a studio project by now in ideal circumstances! I could be wrong, but it is four years since Clockwork Angels. They must be itching to move forward!

• Like 3

The three of them created the "soul of Rush". If one of them were not there, there would be no "soul of Rush".

This pretty much nails it.

I suppose Geddy seems to be the most public about wanting to continue driving the band forward even with tour retirement, though he is not the "soul" of the band.

I wouldn't miss Neil, but I would miss Geddy and Alex. Without those two, the band will fall apart.

Neil is slowly becoming a bit of a drag. I would be happy if he retired, happy for him and honestly happy for the band! It's his dragging it out that is becoming a wind up.

I will always defend him, but at the same time I suspect Geddy and Alex would have already finished a studio project by now in ideal circumstances! I could be wrong, but it is four years since Clockwork Angels. They must be itching to move forward!

They're writing songs as we speak

--Yukon Blade Grinder Sr Editor

• Like 3

I sincerely hope your sources are correct!

• Like 1

DO NOT QUESTION THE YUKON BLADE GRINDER

• Like 1

Your prayers for Clockwork Angels II will fall flat I'm afraid

The three of them created the "soul of Rush". If one of them were not there, there would be no "soul of Rush".

I suppose Geddy seems to be the most public about wanting to continue driving the band forward even with tour retirement, though he is not the "soul" of the band.

I agree as well. I don't know what a soul is, but I assume it is that indescribable, abstract quality of uniqueness that can only come from all three of them playing together. I haven't contributed to the "who could replace Neil" or "who could sing for Geddy" discussions for that reason. I don't know why it doesn't bother me with a lot of other bands, but then I think Rush is in a class of their own.

Edited by toymaker

But after Terry Brown left the family, Rush lost something that is very difficult to pinpoint .. They lost something that made them Rush .. A vibe that made them unique - it wasn't quite as simple as "their sound", but after Terry left, they never sounded like Rush again to me ..

They sounded like the three members of Rush, but the didn;t sound like Rush

You can't see a soul, and you can't exactly define what it is ..

True

I agree as well. I don't know what a soul is, but I assume it is that indescribable, abstract quality of uniqueness that can only come from all three of them playing together. I haven't contributed to the "who could replace Neil" or "who could sing for Geddy" discussions for that reason. I don't know why it doesn't bother me with a lot of other bands, but then I think Rush is in a class of their own.

I would translate "soul" to mean life
  • Like 1

But after Terry Brown left the family, Rush lost something that is very difficult to pinpoint .. They lost something that made them Rush .. A vibe that made them unique - it wasn't quite as simple as "their sound", but after Terry left, they never sounded like Rush again to me ..

True

I think this is something I'll just never understand, but that's okay. It's not easy to see a perspective on something like this from someone who has been listening to Rush since the 70's. I didn't listen to them until when they were on hiatus at the turn of the millenium.

True

:facepalm:

I just don't get the Terry Brown lovefest.

Personally, I think Signals through Hold Your Fire is an incredibly impressive run of albums. And post-Hold Your Fire there are plenty of songs worthy of Rush's prime output. IMHO.

• Like 1

True

I think the biggest part of that comes from the sound. I've said this before, but I'll bet they used the same recording equipment for the entire TB era
  • Like 1

True

I think the biggest part of that comes from the sound. I've said this before, but I'll bet they used the same recording equipment for the entire TB era

Sure. The Terry Brown produced albums are my favorites, but he's not the be-all and end-all of Rush's successes. Again, Terry Brown benefited more from Rush than Rush benefited from Terry Brown. Rush's almost half-century career is proof of that. IMHO.

• Like 1

True

Personally, I think Signals through Hold Your Fire is an incredibly impressive run of albums. And post-Hold Your Fire there are plenty of songs worthy of Rush's prime output. IMHO.

There will never be agreement on this, of course - it's an axiom of Rush fandom. I also prefer the Brown-produced stuff, and felt that Rush was often mimicking the pop stuff in the later years, and had rather lost their edge and and adventure and imagination. Maybe it's because some of us fell in love with music in the 70s, some in the 80s, some in the 90s . . . I feel the 70s sound is my go-to, the core of what I like. It doesn't mean I'm "stuck there," but there is a sort of distinct spiritedness that I continually hunt for in later music. There's always a sniff or a hint of it here and there in later Rush albums.

• Like 1

True

The fact you refer to "Rush's prime output" implies that even you understand the early stuff holds the most appeal.

Hence the Broon love fest.

Edited by Segue Myles

True

The fact you refer to "Rush's prime output" implies that even you u derating the early stuff holds the most appeal.

I suspect he meant "worthy of being called Rush's prime output"?

True

The fact you refer to "Rush's prime output" implies that even you u derating the early stuff holds the most appeal.

I never said the Terry Brown produced albums weren't my favorite. I am firmly on record declaring those albums as my favorites and, objectively, they are Rush's prime. But I don't think Rush stopped being Rush after Terry Brown left. I'll hold up Power Windows or Hold Your Fire to all but four Brown produced albums. Peter Collins is essential to those albums sounding so good and cohesive. And Rush certainly guided all those albums when push comes to shove.

• Like 1

True

Groovy

True

Groovy

Yes. Geddy and Neil can certainly groove.

True

I never said the Terry Brown produced albums weren't my favorite. I am firmly on record declaring those albums as my favorites and, objectively, they are Rush's prime. But I don't think Rush stopped being Rush after Terry Brown left. I'll hold up Power Windows or Hold Your Fire to all but four Brown produced albums. Peter Collins is essential to those albums sounding so good and cohesive. And Rush certainly guided all those albums when push comes to shove.

Oh I getcha!

I actually agree with you. I, however, think Broon should have come back for Presto. If they wanted to move forwards AND retain their roots, they would have improved with his help.

Otherwise, from RTB onwards, they lost a massive part of their appeal. I think so, anyway.