2016 MLB Season Thread

The Analog Cub

Pirates extended Polanco...5 years + 2 club options at like 12 and 13 Mill per year. I feel like we are going to extend those club options for sure. Very team friendly IMO. Basically what the pirates did with McCutchen and Marte...buy out their cheap and arb years and get them paid now while they are still making less than a mill a year, get a couple extra years of team control...let them walk when they are 32 and let the Red Sox pay them way too much when they are just beginning to decline.

Keeping Polanco around is very good for you guys, I think.

I know it's a small sample but the guy has impressed so far.

• Like 1

BC, is it to the point where when StL and Pit play we have to root for the Cards? They seem like the less dangerous team. Then again, they DO have a way of winning games in the way designed to piss you off the most. And they are the Cardinals. But I'm considering it when they play in Pittsburgh. As I was watching last night I was almost there, but just couldn't do it...

BC, is it to the point where when StL and Pit play we have to root for the Cards? They seem like the less dangerous team. Then again, they DO have a way of winning games in the way designed to piss you off the most. And they are the Cardinals. But I'm considering it when they play in Pittsburgh. As I was watching last night I was almost there, but just couldn't do it...

I can change my mind down the road of course, but for now I'm rooting for Pitt. I don't think their rotation is as strong as the Cards'. Also they are the Cardinals and they always find some damn way to win.

• Like 2

I can change my mind down the road of course, but for now I'm rooting for Pitt. I don't think their rotation is as strong as the Cards'. Also they are the Cardinals and they always find some damn way to win.

I know what you mean and I'm still there...well, not rooting for Pittsburgh, but against St Louis...

Did anyone see the game ending play between Toronto and Tampa Bay last night. The rule about sliding into second makes the rule about catchers look sane.

Here's the play...the batter was called out to end the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0bvjDZswc

:facepalm:

Did anyone see the game ending play between Toronto and Tampa Bay last night. The rule about sliding into second makes the rule about catchers look sane.

Here's the play...the batter was called out to end the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0bvjDZswc

:facepalm:

I hate the new rule but it wasn't legal to grab the players leg before the rule change. This was an easy call that is generating a lot of silly complaining. Clear interference.

The Cardinals getting swept by the Pirates is an EXCELLENT way to start out the season :laughing guy: Cubs just have to keep up that momentum. Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

The Cardinals getting swept by the Pirates is an EXCELLENT way to start out the season :laughing guy:Cubs just have to keep up that momentum.

For whatever reason, they don't seem to play well in Arizona. A 4-2 road trip works to start the year, especially with the back of the rotation coming up.

The Cardinals getting swept by the Pirates is an EXCELLENT way to start out the season :laughing guy:Cubs just have to keep up that momentum.

For whatever reason, they don't seem to play well in Arizona. A 4-2 road trip works to start the year, especially with the back of the rotation coming up.

Arizona may be damn scary this year. Lackey and Hammel weren't exactly lights out in ST, but Hendricks has been looking good. We'll see.

I would be fine with 4-2 on the road. Opening homestand against the Reds will sweeten the deal.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

My Padres are consistently hot - game 1 / 15-0 loss game 2/ 3-0 loss Game 3 / 7-0 loss

Once again the Padres set a new MLB record for irrelevance scoring zero runs in first three games - :facepalm:

• Like 1

My Padres are consistently hot - game 1 / 15-0 loss game 2/ 3-0 loss Game 3 / 7-0 loss

Once again the Padres set a new MLB record for irrelevance scoring zero runs in first three games - :facepalm:

Is that first game's score a Chargers game or a Padres game? :laughing guy:

I actually really like our rotation, assuming we can stay relatively healthy. Cole and Liriano are obviously excellent, Niese is your text book super average consistent guy, and Nicasio is the latest Ray Searage reclaimation project. Pirates signed Nicasio to a 1 year, 3 mil contract, in spring training he was unhittable and his first start yesterday was nasty. Tyler Glasnow will be called up in a few months, he could be this years Noah Syndergaard.

Looking at cards - Wacha and Leake are slightly above average, Wainwright is still a workhorse but not elite. Cards nastiest pitcher is Carlos Martinez, but I have a strong suspicion his shoulder wont hold up and he will see some DL time.

Hammel is probably the weak piece for the cubs, he just doesnt go very deep in games. For a 5th starter hes very good.

Is that first game's score a Chargers game or a Padres game? :laughing guy:

:moon:

:P Just kidding it is super laughable

Pirates extended Polanco...5 years + 2 club options at like 12 and 13 Mill per year. I feel like we are going to extend those club options for sure. Very team friendly IMO. Basically what the pirates did with McCutchen and Marte...buy out their cheap and arb years and get them paid now while they are still making less than a mill a year, get a couple extra years of team control...let them walk when they are 32 and let the Red Sox pay them way too much when they are just beginning to decline.

The Pirates, of course, have been following a winning strategy since the Willie Stargell era. Why would you change something that works?

Front office works a lot differently in last few years. If the pirates were able to resign McCutchen, he could become the first pitate to make 17 mil a year. The Red Sox have guys that make 17 mil that cant make the starting lineup.

• Like 1

The Pirates, of course, have been following a winning strategy since the Willie Stargell era. Why would you change something that works?

Front office works a lot differently in last few years. If the pirates were able to resign McCutchen, he could become the first pitate to make 17 mil a year. The Red Sox have guys that make 17 mil that cant make the starting lineup.

They could crack the lineup if they just call Papi's doctor.

They could crack the lineup if they just call Papi's doctor.

Maybe Sammy Sosa has some of his stash still kicking around.

Touché. I can't argue with the stupidity of the Sandoval signing. You'd think Theo Epstein was still the GM.

Touché. I can't argue with the stupidity of the Sandoval signing. You'd think Theo Epstein was still the GM.

The problem wasn't the Sandoval signing. They just need the right manager. Bobby V could get the best out of that roster....

The problem wasn't the Sandoval signing. They just need the right manager. Bobby V could get the best out of that roster....

Nah, they need somebody super smart and witty. With a proven track record in the post season.

Some dude for the Cubs may be dead in the outfield

Bringing out the cart looked really bad