Top 5 Favorite rock solo acts

Entre_Perpetuo

Don Henley

Disqualified!!!

He's a douche, but he's got some great songs. Boys of Summer alone gets him on my list. Dirty Laundry is another beauty. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

- Michael Schenker

- Roy Buchannan

- Johnny Thunders

- Stevie Ray Vaughn

- Gary Moore

( sense a trend here ? )

Rory Gallagher?

• Like 2

Sufjan Stevens

Colin Newman

Leonard Cohen (first four albums)

Jeff Buckley

Robert Plant

Kate Bush

Elton John (up through Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

Rainbow

Steve Hackett

Steven Wilson

Roger Waters

Peter Gabriel

You can argue that Rainbow is a Blackmore vehicle, but it's a band that is, in fact, broken down by singer eras (e.g., the "Dio" era is the hardest rocking, the "Bonnet" era is the effort to become commercial, etc.).

It's a great band, actually. All of its eras.

Rainbow

Steve Hackett

Steven Wilson

Roger Waters

Peter Gabriel

You can argue that Rainbow is a Blackmore vehicle, but it's a band that is, in fact, broken down by singer eras (e.g., the "Dio" era is the hardest rocking, the "Bonnet" era is the effort to become commercial, etc.).

I believe I saw the first 3 incarnations live. I definitely saw Dio and Bonnet. Bonnet was fronting the band at the very first Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donington, Cozy Powell's last gig with the band iirc. The festival rebranded itself as Download and Rainbow rebranded itself as a pop band.

• Like 1

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

How is she not? It's a bit more experimental than the 12-bar blues stuff...but it's rock to me. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

How is she not? It's a bit more experimental than the 12-bar blues stuff...but it's rock to me.

Well, based on what I've listened to by her (just Post, which admittedly isn't that much), she's much more into the electronic and industrial territory than rock (except for It's Oh So Quiet, which is straight up big band jazz).

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

How is she not? It's a bit more experimental than the 12-bar blues stuff...but it's rock to me.

Well, based on what I've listened to by her (just Post, which admittedly isn't that much), she's much more into the electronic and industrial territory than rock (except for It's Oh So Quiet, which is straight up big band jazz).

Rock music incorporates a lot of genres and styles.

• Like 1

Rainbow

Steve Hackett

Steven Wilson

Roger Waters

Peter Gabriel

I believe I saw the first 3 incarnations live. I definitely saw Dio and Bonnet. Bonnet was fronting the band at the very first Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donington, Cozy Powell's last gig with the band iirc. The festival rebranded itself as Download and Rainbow rebranded itself as a pop band.

In light of what Blackmore eventually became musically, releasing albums of mandolin solos, it's interesting that he parted company with RJD because Blackmore wanted to become Foreigner.

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

Yeah but I don't really see how her brand of electronica and industrial can be labeled as rock music. It's like saying the majority of Kid A by Radiohead was rock, which (other than Optimistic), it really wasn't anymore.

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

Yeah but I don't really see how her brand of electronica and industrial can be labeled as rock music. It's like saying the majority of Kid A by Radiohead was rock, which (other than Optimistic), it really wasn't anymore.

What brands of electronica and industrial are labeled as rock music? Seriously, it's all rock music. "Tomorrow Never Knows" is practically all tape loops. Zappa was all over the map. Pink Floyd. Kraftwerk. Eno. The Velvet Underground. Heck, Neil Young did a lot of weird stuff. Bjork's influences come from many corners in rock music. It's a pretty big tent.

• Like 1

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

What brands of electronica and industrial are labeled as rock music? Seriously, it's all rock music. "Tomorrow Never Knows" is practically all tape loops. Zappa was all over the map. Pink Floyd. Kraftwerk. Eno. The Velvet Underground. Heck, Neil Young did a lot of weird stuff. Bjork's influences come from many corners in rock music. It's a pretty big tent.

:yes:

Brian Setzer

Don Henley

Peter Gabriel

Morissey

Bjork

Sting

(a baker's five)

How is Bjork rock?

I'm going to have to disagree about Bjork, and Kraftwerk for that matter. To me, a rock artist doesn't have to play rock all the time (i.e. Queen, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, many others), but needs to build their base sound from rock music (Queen may have done the crazy opera thing in the middle of Boh-Rhap, but most of it was backed with a solid core of bass, drums, and guitar playing in a rock style; Floyd may have added the electronic experiment On The Run and the psychedelic Any Color You Like to DSOTM, but much as that record was based firmly in the rock style, especially Money; the Beatles may have created such strange concoctions as Revolution 9, Tomorrow Never Knows, Because, etc., and they may have ventured pretty far from rock territory with tunes like She's Leaving Home, Elenor Rigby, Within You Without You, etc., but they began and ended very much a rock band with songs like "Drive My Car," "Come Together," "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "Taxman," etc.; etc.). From my perspective, Bjork's sound isn't based in rock, it's based in electronica and industrial, which, while they can be closely related to rock in many cases, are not derivatives of rock. I suppose Army Of Me could be very cautiously lumped in with rock music, but I would attribute that to it's heavy industrial vibes, industrial being admittedly closer to rock than electronica, but just as close to hip hop for that matter. However, I just cannot see how Bjork would be rock artist based on the material of hers that I've heard. Yes, going back and listening, there are more beats and more guitar-sounding elements than I recalled earlier, and I don't deny the influence of rock artists on her music, but her music itself is not rock to me, just as the album Kid A by Radiohead is not rock to me, and just as Kraftwerk is certainly not rock to me.

But if that lengthy paragraph fails to shrink the divide between our opinions, then we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

• Like 1